The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Huge claim just made by Wayne Rooney on Sky - that there are “injured” players at United who could perhaps be playing. I’d like to know what he knows that we don’t.
He has said what John Madden of the NFL said A few decades back. There’s a difference between a hurt player and an injured player. 👍

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone seen the video footage of the water/rain coming in at old Trafford at the end of the Arsenal game. 😳
Sweet lord.
Jim Ratcliffe really must have been on the beer when he paid that much for both a team and stadium in such a mess. Utd fans may well dislike the Glazers but blimey they've done a deal there. How much money will they have taken out of the club by the time they are gone?

Utd do know a new stadium comes with an 8 points deduction don't they? 🤣

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Saw this earlier on Twitter. Makes for interesting reading.

Forest took absolute pelters before last season for having the temerity to spend £150m building a squad to try and survive. (And Burnley spent almost that this year, they’ve got relegated, but it’s gone completely uncriticised)

But seriously, how on earth are promoted Championship clubs who don’t have the luxury of previous parachute payments, supposed to compete? It really is a closed shop.IMG_7601.jpeg

Swango1980

Visit site
Didn't look that good against Palace though
Definitely correct, nowhere near as good as we want them to be.

Mind you, I'm sure a few defences have looked a bit leaky against Palace this season, especially when Eze, Olise and Mateta have all been playing. Over the course of both league games, Utd have only conceded one more against Palace than Man City.

Thankfully, not so leaky yesterday. Sadly, one terrible positional error by a midfielder playing the role of centre back was crucial, especially as out attack was again firing blanks. Who knows what Utd will turn up against Newcastle midweek????

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Forest took absolute pelters before last season for having the temerity to spend £150m building a squad to try and survive. (And Burnley spent almost that this year, they’ve got relegated, but it’s gone completely uncriticised)

But seriously, how on earth are promoted Championship clubs who don’t have the luxury of previous parachute payments, supposed to compete? It really is a closed shop.View attachment 53284
Can't believe we were only 10th

Swango1980

Visit site
You know what they say about Stats

Believe this season it’s Man Utd highest number of goals conceded over a season since 2013

It’s also the highest number of shots allowed on goal since the 80’s ?
Indeed. As I said, it isn't good. Not disagreeing about the defence being more leaky than I'd wish. But despite pretty much having many injured defenders virtually every week this season, having the 6th best defensive record is quite a surprise to me.

Only two clubs have conceded more shots, Luton and Sheffield Utd.

I'm guessing either Onana has been spectacularly good, the defenders that have played have been superb at blocking shots, or the team have restricted many of those shots to be speculative efforts. I think our biggest defensive problem is out attack, and exposing the back line far too often and then not helping them out.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

But seriously, how on earth are promoted Championship clubs who don’t have the luxury of previous parachute payments, supposed to compete? It really is a closed shop.View attachment 53284
In the same sense. How were City and other clubs going to get to the top table without spending.
Now someone has come along and said it’s done illegally. Forest get points deducted because they would not sell Johnson at a reduced rate. And yet The premier league think that’s ok to balance the books for one year. They are blithering idiots.

Swango1980

Visit site
In the same sense. How were City and other clubs going to get to the top table without spending.
Now someone has come along and said it’s done illegally. Forest get points deducted because they would not sell Johnson at a reduced rate. And yet The premier league think that’s ok to balance the books for one year. They are blithering idiots.
That is simply not true. That is just an extreme way of portraying it to fit a certain agenda.

Forest have spend a ton of money. Either they were unaware of the rules, or they took a gamble. And, when you gamble, sometimes you just need to accept it doesn't work out. Otherwise it isn't a gamble.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That is simply not true. That is just an extreme way of portraying it to fit a certain agenda.

Forest have spend a ton of money. Either they were unaware of the rules, or they took a gamble. And, when you gamble, sometimes you just need to accept it doesn't work out. Otherwise it isn't a gamble.

Which goes back to my point - how are teams who don't have the luxury of parachute payments supposed to be competitive without falling foul of the rules?

Forest were allowed to lose around £45m less than everyone else in the Prem for the period they were punished for. Take the mick out of "big spending Forest" as much as you like, the fact is we were never on a level playing field. £150m sounds a "ton of money, but even with that our entire squad for that season still cost less than two or three bench players for the Big Six.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which goes back to my point - how are teams who don't have the luxury of parachute payments supposed to be competitive without falling foul of the rules?

Forest were allowed to lose around £45m less than everyone else in the Prem for the period they were punished for. Take the mick out of "big spending Forest" as much as you like, the fact is we were never on a level playing field. £150m sounds a "ton of money, but even with that our entire squad is still costed less than two or three bench players for the Big Six.

Once you read the FFP rules as being there to keep the 'big clubs' at the top then they make sense. Maybe that was not the original design but that is what they have become. Newcastle have the richest owners in the league but have to sell to buy to fit FFP, how does that make sense.

Sadly it is now a vicious circle. How do you spend big, you increase your global support and bring in bigger sponsors. How do you increase your global support and bring in bigger sponsors, you win things. How do you win things, you spend big money. How do you get to spend big money............................................

Argue all you like about cheating etc but City realised this and so spent the money irrespective as it was the only way to then be at the top and self financing. It was the only way to get to that top table.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Forest were allowed to lose around £45m less than everyone else in the Prem for the period they were punished for. Take the mick out of "big spending Forest" as much as you like, the fact is we were never on a level playing field. £150m sounds a "ton of money, but even with that our entire squad for that season still cost less than two or three bench players for the Big Six.

Look at the likes of Brighton , Fulham - get a very talented manager , a very good scouting system and buy smartly

It’s a slow process and will need time to build any club

Look at Villa , again buying well , getting a good manager in and building a good team

Spending lots of money isn’t always any guarantee for any level of success

There is no magic formula - a lot of any team doing well it’s down to recruiting well and the structure above

Everton in the past spent a good amount within the rules but spent poorly

That’s where a lot of clubs go wrong

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Look at the likes of Brighton , Fulham - get a very talented manager , a very good scouting system and buy smartly

It’s a slow process and will need time to build any club

Look at Villa , again buying well , getting a good manager in and building a good team

Spending lots of money isn’t always any guarantee for any level of success

There is no magic formula - a lot of any team doing well it’s down to recruiting well and the structure above

Everton in the past spent a good amount within the rules but spent poorly

That’s where a lot of clubs go wrong
Not sure we have a good scouting system and definitely have a history of buying rashly. Look at the panic buy when we were promoted a few years back and how poorly it went. I know we are often connected in the press with a number of decent players but rarely seem to get them and when you have pivotal players like Mitrovic chasing the cash it is hard to even perform at a mid-table level let alone kicking on towards top 7-8