The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PaulMdj

Visit site
Has it been announced? I can't see it anywhere.
Don’t think they stood a chance of getting any points back to be honest, one of their appeals was:

“Forest had sought a reduction because they felt the original commission should have taken the sale of Brennan Johnson to Tottenham - two months after the end of the financial year ending 2023 - into account as a mitigating factor.”

When you think the PL told Everton they should of made contingincies for the war in Ukraine🤪

Fingers crossed Man City pull the whole corrupt PL leadership down.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don’t think they stood a chance of getting any points back to be honest, one of their appeals was:

“Forest had sought a reduction because they felt the original commission should have taken the sale of Brennan Johnson to Tottenham - two months after the end of the financial year ending 2023 - into account as a mitigating factor.”

The point of that defence was that we could have sold him three months earlier for about £15m less to Brentford and that would have brought us within the rules. But by holding out for a higher price, we were taking steps to be more financially secure (which is what, allegedly, these rules are in place for - to ensure security)

Ridiculous that the FFP end point is two months before transfer deadline day, when everyone wants to get business done.

But anyway, I thoroughly look forward to how they deal with City (or not).

Swango1980

Visit site
The point of that defence was that we could have sold him three months earlier for about £15m less to Brentford and that would have brought us within the rules. But by holding out for a higher price, we were taking steps to be more financially secure (which is what, allegedly, these rules are in place for - to ensure security)

Ridiculous that the FFP end point is two months before transfer deadline day, when everyone wants to get business done.

On a plus side, any transfers out of Forest 3 years ago, just before deadline day, for an inflated fee will have been accounted for?

And, on Johnson, at least his fee will be covered in future calculations of FFP, which should help Forest then?

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On a plus side, any transfers out of Forest 3 years ago, just before deadline day, for an inflated fee will have been accounted for?

And, on Johnson, at least his fee will be covered in future calculations of FFP, which should help Forest then?

Don’t think there were any inflated sales 3 years ago! 🤣

I’m very happy to accept the expert judgement of the independent panel though. In their extremely wise opinion, we should in fact have sold him a year and a half prior for £20m less than we eventually got for him. 👌

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last nights performance just added another £10m onto Branthwaites fee :ROFLMAO: . He is going to cost Utd more than VVD at this rate.

I'm with you, surely there has to be a youngster out there who would do a better job than an out of position, legs gone, midfielder.
He would be an idiot imo to go there.
Stay where he is for another year show some loyalty.
It’s not all about money, just needs to play his football without the price tag on his head.
He will be class imo in the future, still a few things to learn. 😊

Swango1980

Visit site
Don’t think there were any inflated sales 3 years ago! 🤣

I’m very happy to accept the expert judgement of the independent panel though. In their extremely wise opinion, we should in fact have sold him a year and a half prior for £20m less than we eventually got for him. 👌
I suspect you are confusing what their "expert" judgement is in reference to.

I've no doubt their opinion is NOT that Forest should sell players more cheaply to run a better business.

Their judgement will be in reference to how much money went in and came out of Forest within already specified time periods. From a critical point of view, they might wonder why Forest spent so much within that period?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not all about money, just needs to play his football without the price tag on his head.

Your right tbh. Look at AWB and to an extent shaw both highly rated young players. Awb hasn't really kicked on at united , Shaw's had an average career

He should look at what's happened to those 2 and think hold on I can earn better than that

For example he could go to villa with the aim of moving up to city / Liverpool/ arsenal long term rather than going to a "big club" in united and regret it

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know too much about the kids at Utd, but I also think that if he just chucks a load of them into that side now, ahead of some 1st team players, it is a huge gamble that could backfire spectacularly.

There is so much negativity around Man Utd at the moment. Every bad pass is mocked by opposition fans and audible moans of despair by Man Utd fans. The media are having a field day every time Man Utd put in a bad performance, even if they win (so, basically every single game). I can almost feel many of the experienced 1st team players are broken players, some of whom cannot cope with the constant mocking they get. Perhaps they try too hard and fail (trying to be a hero as an individual rather than keep things simple). Perhaps they hide away during a game, and panic every time the ball comes near them, fearing they mess up. And, dare I say it, maybe a few of those injuries are not that bad, but some players are happy to sit a few games out of the public glare?

Truth is, I'd be worried about bringing kids into that atmosphere. There are basically no leaders around them, who stand up and ready to go to battle. Someone for the young players to look up to, knowing they have a few real leaders to have their back. They come into this team right now, I think it could destroy them.

And, to be fair, we have already brought some kids into the tea. Mainoo and Kambwala this season, and Garnacho has emerged as a 1st team player. Utd have done well with kids in the past. But, the class of 92 came into a team that had Schmeichel, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Parker, Cantona, Keane and Andy Cole. I dread to think how Beckham, Scholes and Neville would have done in their careers if they made their debuts in the current Utd team.

With such a few games left of the season now, I'd rather use the experienced players we have, they either show a bit of pride, or they continue to demonstrate they have no real future at the club. Get to the summer, let the clearout begin, hopefully sign some players with strong, positive personalities, and then see if what can be built from there.
Yes I see your logic but can it be any worse than last night.
At least Casemiro can play his normal position.
If a young lad plays it might be the making of him. not easy but if he’s good enough ?

Swango1980

Visit site
I hear that comment made about nearly every single younger player that is ever touted for a move.

He is 22 years old next month. What age is best for him to move, where he doesn't have to show loyalty anymore? 23, 24, 25, etc?

Not saying Man Utd is the best place for him. If he did go there, might work well, might not. But, who is to say Everton is the place for him to be as well? What if Liverpool, Dortmund, Real Madrid, etc. came calling? I'm sure there will be lots of interest in him if he is as good as people say, and no doubt he will have his own opinions on what is best for him.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree. He can have another year learning alongside Tarkowski, playing every game. He can make the odd mistake, no one will hammer him.

If he goes to utd the weight of the world will be on him. Looking at how many younger players have been trashed there in recent years, surely his agent should be telling him 'anywhere but Old Trafford '. Have another good season and he might have a City or Arsenal calling him up.

He won't stay with us beyond one more season, if that, but I wish him well and I don't think he would be well served by moving there.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes I see your logic but can it be any worse than last night.
At least Casemiro can play his normal position.
If a young lad plays it might be the making of him. not easy but if he’s good enough ?
Well, we could have lost 5 nil or more. Casemiro has been poor generally, so even in his normal position there is no guarantee he would do well. There were so many bang average performances last night, and that is being polite.

Mount has been dragged in after gathering dust most of the season. Eriksen can barely run faster than walking pace. Wan Bissaka is like a Japanese robot that they are testing in the PL, and they haven't quite perfected normal human motion yet. I didn't even realise Antony was playing until he touched the ball after about 20 minutes. Garnacho is in danger of using Rashford as his role model (this season's Rashford). Evans is probably still carrying a slight knock, which is worrying when he is already 83 years old.

In hindsight, after losing 4-0, it is easy to say that ETH should play different players and bring in youngsters. But, if he had done that, then loads would be criticizing him if they got battered anyway, and not used the experience in his side.

Swango1980

Visit site
I agree. He can have another year learning alongside Tarkowski, playing every game. He can make the odd mistake, no one will hammer him.

If he goes to utd the weight of the world will be on him. Looking at how many younger players have been trashed there in recent years, surely his agent should be telling him 'anywhere but Old Trafford '. Have another good season and he might have a City or Arsenal calling him up.

He won't stay with us beyond one more season, if that, but I wish him well and I don't think he would be well served by moving there.
I remember John Stones used to get a right battering by the media, for giving the ball away too cheaply. Was he not still at Everton at the time?

I sort of see what you mean though. Any player that goes to Utd will be massively under the microscope, and any mistake highlighted constantly. Maguire being a great example. So, any player coming to Utd needs to have a strong personality that can just get on with things, and that is difficult to find. Especially in this day and age. Always thought Pickford would have been a decent player for Utd to go for. He is criticized a lot, but is seems to be water off a ducks back. And I think he is a really good keeper, and seems to be a bit of a leader as well, the limited amount I watch Everton (and England)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember John Stones used to get a right battering by the media, for giving the ball away too cheaply. Was he not still at Everton at the time?

I sort of see what you mean though. Any player that goes to Utd will be massively under the microscope, and any mistake highlighted constantly. Maguire being a great example. So, any player coming to Utd needs to have a strong personality that can just get on with things, and that is difficult to find. Especially in this day and age. Always thought Pickford would have been a decent player for Utd to go for. He is criticized a lot, but is seems to be water off a ducks back. And I think he is a really good keeper, and seems to be a bit of a leader as well, the limited amount I watch Everton (and England)
The fans gave Stones a free pass. The media might have had a go but I suspect he had moved to City at that stage. It's when you hear the fans taking a deep breath that you know the player is in trouble, that can destroy their confidence.

Pickford would do a better job for you than Onana. I really don't think he is that good at all. Jordan is a very good keeper and one thing he doesn't lack is confidence. Being at OT wouldn't phase him.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fans gave Stones a free pass. The media might have had a go but I suspect he had moved to City at that stage. It's when you hear the fans taking a deep breath that you know the player is in trouble, that can destroy their confidence.

Pickford would do a better job for you than Onana. I really don't think he is that good at all. Jordan is a very good keeper and one thing he doesn't lack is confidence. Being at OT wouldn't phase him.

Pickford is Joe hart 2.0

His confidence makes him what he is / was

Once that went hart went off the rails

PaulMdj

Visit site

Sorry, but that’s not an excuse, the FFP rules and dates have been in a while now and no other team has complained about the date, there was no guarantee Johnson would of been sold at all by holding out for a bigger fee, it was a risk the Chairman thought he could take and get away with, just like our idiot he took chances and got caught out.

If you stay up (I hope you do) then it was worth risking a deduction, if you go down the extra money wasn’t worth it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
😳
How much clubs have spent since Mr Klopp arrived at Anfield.

Attachments

• IMG_1482.jpeg
    IMG_1482.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry, but that’s not an excuse, the FFP rules and dates have been in a while now and no other team has complained about the date, there was no guarantee Johnson would of been sold at all by holding out for a bigger fee, it was a risk the Chairman thought he could take and get away with, just like our idiot he took chances and got caught out.

If you stay up (I hope you do) then it was worth risking a deduction, if you go down the extra money wasn’t worth it.

Neither did Forest, to my knowledge. That was my own opinion and one that has been shared by a lot of people these last few months (both Forest fans and non-Forest fans).

And how would you know there was no guarantee Johnson would be sold for a bigger price? Plenty of dealings and agreements to on behind the scenes that none of us would ever know about. Forest knew what they valued him at and which parties were interested. They’d have known what they could get for him.

Anyway, as said I’m very happy to accept today’s verdict and that it would have been no different had it been released last week when it was originally supposed to be. 👍

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I turned up at 10am this morning to play golf, the first person I saw was was my friendly Manure fan and I hadn't got the heart to extract the you know what, I think I'm going soft in my old age 😁

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I turned up at 10am this morning to play golf, the first person I saw was was my friendly Manure fan and I hadn't got the heart to extract the you know what, I think I'm going soft in my old age 😁
Sometimes Saying nothing is the best thing to do. He would have spent all day wondering when something would be said. I had a load of Utd fans asking me To say something when City starting getting the upper hand. Silence Was Golden.

Last edited: