• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
He was already kicking the ball away when Gordon's leg appeared

Gordon fouled him

+ the others that disagreed.

Gordon didn’t kick anyone, he was kicked. Strangely enough a professional referee saw it as a foul too. Who’s the expert? Us armchair enthusiasts or a referee with years of experience? When Gordon stepped in, who was then closer to the ball? There’s plenty of pundits in either camp, some of which say the same thing. Gordon was very clever in drawing the foul.

Short, simple version. Philips kicked Gordon.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Gordon didn’t kick anyone, he was kicked. Strangely enough a professional referee saw it as a foul too. Who’s the expert? Us armchair enthusiasts or a referee with years of experience? When Gordon stepped in, who was then closer to the ball? There’s plenty of pundits in either camp, some of which say the same thing. Gordon was very clever in drawing the foul.

Former refs have come out and said it's not a pen either but then they are first to speak up once their out of the circuit

End of day if that was in the other box and Phillips was shooting that would be a pen because he went to kick the ball and then the other play got in the way of the action

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Former refs have come out and said it's not a pen either but then they are first to speak up once their out of the circuit

Once upon a time a ref might give obstruction against Gordon, if you were splitting hairs. I note you make no mention of those that said it was the right decision. Some say yes, others say no. And there’s the valid argument. It’s questionable.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Referees with years of experience drop clangers on a weekly basis.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once upon a time a ref might give obstruction against Gordon, if you were splitting hairs. I note you make no mention of those that said it was the right decision. Some say yes, others say no. And there’s the valid argument. It’s questionable.

I haven't overly seen people saying it's the right decision other than VAR and the ref?

The BBC glossed over it

Other reports said it was harsh

Sky highlights said it wasn't a pen

Honestly I've only seen what has popped up about it , so my feed is very west ham so I will get all the links to ref saying it's not a pen

Swango1980

Visit site
If it’s against your team you’re fuming.
If your team gets a pen for it you’re buzzing as the refs just given you one.
Yeah, if a Newcastle defender tried to clear ball, and instead smashed Bowen in the ankle after getting his foot in the way, I can guarantee West Ham fans would be irate if no penalty was given.

Had anybody mentioned the challenge on Calvert Lewin yesterday? Looked like one of the clearest fouls I've seen, ref didn't give it and VAR appeared to be out to lunch

Swango1980

Visit site
Mad when united got rid of him, good player
To be fair, think we had Rooney and Van Persie at the time, and I also think Welbeck may have been injury probe.

Decent player, but I doubt he'd ever be the type of player a club who has ambitions to make top 4 would sign.

That being said, given Utd have often found themselves with no strikers for last 2 seasons, he'd be welcome back with open arms

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This adingra looks very good, causing Liverpool problems

Nice to see Gomez back in favour (albeit as a fill in player ) always liked him for some reason

Swango1980

Visit site
To be fair, think we had Rooney and Van Persie at the time, and I also think Welbeck may have been injury probe.

Decent player, but I doubt he'd ever be the type of player a club who has ambitions to make top 4 would sign.

That being said, given Utd have often found themselves with no strikers for last 2 seasons, he'd be welcome back with open arms
O yeah. Utd had also signed Falcao at the time. Remember him!?

And they had Hernandez

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Refs bought into the reaction there

Never a yellow for gross

Agree it's a foul and painful but just a coming together really, not a bad challenge