The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
any reason Foden sent his twin brother to play tonight @Tashyboy ?
I think he saw Walker injured and thought we cannot risk two injuries for City. 🤔😳😖

That aside, I see the papers are raving about the Brazil Kid that scored. Strange how we rave about other teams young uns/ the next generation coming through but Mainoo split opinion being in the squad. Personally I thought he had a good debut.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
One has to consider what the experience of playing for England is for our best players.

Thinks: "This is a good side, but every week I'm playing in a much better side that obviously performs better than this side does. But it is a good practice match."
And saying that out loud would put an end to representing one's country, even though it would be a truthful statement.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One has to consider what the experience of playing for England is for our best players.

Thinks: "This is a good side, but every week I'm playing in a much better side that obviously performs better than this side does. But it is a good practice match."
And saying that out loud would put an end to representing one's country, even though it would be a truthful statement.
Most PL teams play a system.
But your right there seems very little of this in the England team.

Looks like he just picks 11 players and just puts them on the pitch.
But the players are not immune from criticism imo.
Some just underperforming every time they put the shirt on some shine,

PaulMdj

Visit site
I don’t get people having a go at Pickford.
He’s got the shirt because he hasn’t made errors!

GS does need to play another keeper though in these games , 45 mins anyway.
more so the back four can get used to him.
Problem is though, are we better getting the first XI more playing time together so they improve as a unit or, as I suggested we give both reserve keepers 45 mins each on tuesday, with a defence they are unlikely to have in front of them in the Euros.🤷‍♂️

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ag
It’s not often I watch an England game all the way through, usually only having it on in the background. Not the best of Brazilian teams, and if there’d been better finishing by both sides it could have been 3-3. As an opportunity to see some different players, England (almost) ticked that box very well.

Think I would have only given Pickford 45mins, not bothered which half, and tried a 2nd keeper even if it was just to give them some match time in an England shirt as a confidence booster at least. Maguire; he gave a Maguire performance. Didn’t do much wrong but will never set the world on fire. Surely there’s someone better out there. Walker; didn’t see enough of him to say whether or not he was having a good game. A friend made an interesting point about him. Walker makes some great, last ditch tackles and blocks… why? The point made was he was having to do that because he gets caught out being too far forward too often. Never thought about it from that perspective before - not sure I agree either way.

Bellingham, Foden & Rice were very good, especially against a very mobile Brazilian midfield. Gallagher; no, and I mean NO. He needs to try and stay on his feet a bit more. Trying to con an international ref is a bit harder than swan diving in the Prem. Bowen; some glimpses of what he’s capable of. Worth another game at least but a fit Saka is more than head and shoulders above him.

Mainoo; Mmm, his inexperience and naivety showed through. Carried the ball well but a bit like early Sterling he was funnelled into a cul de sac too easily. I feel the upcoming Euros is a season too early for him. A good game for Gordon but Watkins had one decent touch all game. Might make the squad but I wouldn’t take him.

Looking forward to Tuesday’s game, providing the selections are along similar lines, i.e. we get to see fringe players.
Agree with most of what you say. But Foden, come on, he had a very poor game! Mainoo had a good debut and didn't see any naivety.
And you didn't mention Chilwell who had the worst game ever!
Hoping for better on Tuesday! 🤞

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ag

Agree with most of what you say. But Foden, come on, he had a very poor game! Mainoo had a good debut and didn't see any naivety.

I cut chillwell a lot of slack. Everytime he gets in good form he gets a knock back injury wise

I mean since his move to Chelsea he hasn't played above 30 games in a season

He has the ability to be a solid left back

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think we need to take the handbrake off a bit

Back 4 and keeper are picked let's face it

In front of them

--------rice---bellingham

Saka ------foden ---------bowen

--------------kane

Slightly biased with Bowen, could have Gordon there , however Saka Bowen and foden all can play any of those positions the other is in and would keep the oppo guessing

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Ag

I missed commenting on Chilwell….. probably because he was virtually anonymous throughout the game. Seriously though, one of the worst player’s performances I’ve seen in an England shirt.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It’s not often I watch an England game all the way through, usually only having it on in the background. Not the best of Brazilian teams, and if there’d been better finishing by both sides it could have been 3-3. As an opportunity to see some different players, England (almost) ticked that box very well.

Think I would have only given Pickford 45mins, not bothered which half, and tried a 2nd keeper even if it was just to give them some match time in an England shirt as a confidence booster at least. Maguire; he gave a Maguire performance. Didn’t do much wrong but will never set the world on fire. Surely there’s someone better out there. Walker; didn’t see enough of him to say whether or not he was having a good game. A friend made an interesting point about him. Walker makes some great, last ditch tackles and blocks… why? The point made was he was having to do that because he gets caught out being too far forward too often. Never thought about it from that perspective before - not sure I agree either way.

Bellingham, Foden & Rice were very good, especially against a very mobile Brazilian midfield. Gallagher; no, and I mean NO. He needs to try and stay on his feet a bit more. Trying to con an international ref is a bit harder than swan diving in the Prem. Bowen; some glimpses of what he’s capable of. Worth another game at least but a fit Saka is more than head and shoulders above him.

Mainoo; Mmm, his inexperience and naivety showed through. Carried the ball well but a bit like early Sterling he was funnelled into a cul de sac too easily. I feel the upcoming Euros is a season too early for him. A good game for Gordon but Watkins had one decent touch all game. Might make the squad but I wouldn’t take him.

Looking forward to Tuesday’s game, providing the selections are along similar lines, i.e. we get to see fringe players.

I think you’re being a bit unfair regarding Mainoo, Bri. During the fifteen minutes he was on he was constantly looking for space and making himself available, and I don’t recall a single stray pass. Far from looking naive I thought he looked exceptionally comfortable.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I think you’re being a bit unfair regarding Mainoo, Bri. During the fifteen minutes he was on he was constantly looking for space and making himself available, and I don’t recall a single stray pass. Far from looking naive I thought he looked exceptionally comfortable.
TBF though Billy, it was only 15 minutes and is probably unfair to judge him either way, I’d like to see him in the side with Bellingham to see how he copes and seeing he replaced Gallagher it didn’t take much to look like an improvement.🤪

Hopefully an England regular, but still needs time, a full injury free season next season and we’ll see what he’s all about.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
TBF though Billy, it was only 15 minutes and is probably unfair to judge him either way, I’d like to see him in the side with Bellingham to see how he copes and seeing he replaced Gallagher it didn’t take much to look like an improvement.🤪

Hopefully an England regular, but still needs time, a full injury free season next season and we’ll see what he’s all about.

Totally agree it’s not enough to judge him, but he looked more comfortable than naive. I certainly think he should be given a start in that role ahead of Gallagher, who showed very little.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

He did make himself available, he wasn’t shy (confident) in that respect but it’s what he did with the ball once he had it that disappointed me. On one occasion he received the ball just outside England’s area, left of centre. He carried it diagonally towards the left wingback and passed it to him when he was 5 yards away. Not hard to pass over that distance but he cramped the receiver for room and dragged opposition players towards the receiver. As I said, he reminded me of a young Sterling, a very good player but too easy to play against. Experience will see him make better decisions, and one for the future. In truth, I thought he tried too hard.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Problem is though, are we better getting the first XI more playing time together so they improve as a unit or, as I suggested we give both reserve keepers 45 mins each on tuesday, with a defence they are unlikely to have in front of them in the Euros.🤷‍♂️
That’s the catch 22 question.
Personally I think he just needs to let another keeper play at least 45 mins.
If Pickford gets injured we need to know the no 2 is ok.

Plus with so many subs he’s not going to have the normal back four