The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
How come the ball hit Maguire in the middle of the back 🤔 coz he had his back to Walker. Yet the clip from behind the goal shows an England player 40 yards away with his hand in the Air wanting the ball off Walker. One is switched on and one isn’t. Odd how the careless player cleared the ball off the line 3 seconds earlier.
Walker did well to get back to clear the ball but was under no pressure and was careless with his distribution. I'm sure Maguire was expecting Walker to pass the ball upfield so was looking forward, where he should be.

Still, I suppose as Henderson wasn't playing there is no one else to moan about. 🤣

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Walker did well to get back to clear the ball but was under no pressure and was careless with his distribution. I'm sure Maguire was expecting Walker to pass the ball upfield so was looking forward, where he should be.

Still, I suppose as Henderson wasn't playing there is no one else to moan about. 🤣
The thing is, if that was Walker for City, the defenders would have automatically shown for the ball,They would of given Walker an option, there’s no doubt that walkers pass was poor but what option did Maguire give him. None. Walker went for the only option that was showing for him.

Swango1980

Visit site
The thing is, if that was Walker for City, the defenders would have automatically shown for the ball,They would of given Walker an option, there’s no doubt that walkers pass was poor but what option did Maguire give him. None. Walker went for the only option that was showing for him.
Walker was under no pressure. Yet he panicked and smashed it into the back of Maguire. You're comments almost prove how some are so blinkered towards criticising Maguire, that they fail to see where the real blame lies.

I only saw one dodgy moment from Maguire in the game, when he under hit a back pass. And he wasn't help my Chillwells inability to get the ball initially.

For Brazil's goal, had Maguire plated the same clearing header Dunk tried, I bet many would use that to highlight why Maguire should be nowhere near the side, and Dunk would be a better option :)

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry Tash, can't give you that. As I said, Walker was under no immediate pressure so could have passed the ball with several options. 👍

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, not the best game to watch, big gulf in ability in some of our players imo,

Stones, Bellingham, Rice were another level than anybody else.

Gordon played well on his debut.

Maguire, Chilwell & Gallagher, not for me, simply not good enough.

Watkins, disappointed as he didn’t get the service and looked isolated.

Foden, confused me, looks so comfortable on the ball in any position for City, not a good night!

Substitutions:

Konsa did OK, Bowen & Rashford did nothing, others not bad for the limited time they had.

Agree with most of this apart from the last sentence, thought Bowen did nothing wrong, beat his man the one chance he had, Rashford however wasted 3 or 4 good possessions by failing to beat his man each time. Bowen and Mainoo the 2 you'd like to see get a start in the week and see how they fare (and hopefully Rice gets a rest)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Walker was under no pressure. Yet he panicked and smashed it into the back of Maguire. You're comments almost prove how some are so blinkered towards criticising Maguire, that they fail to see where the real blame lies.

I only saw one dodgy moment from Maguire in the game, when he under hit a back pass. And he wasn't help my Chillwells inability to get the ball initially.

For Brazil's goal, had Maguire plated the same clearing header Dunk tried, I bet many would use that to highlight why Maguire should be nowhere near the side, and Dunk would be a better option :)

Forget the mistakes, just watch Maguire and his positioning, really poor. Always the wrong side of the striker and he doesn’t seem to anticipate anything. I’ve just read a report on the BBC website, to paraphrase it says Maguire is very lucky that no one has come through the ranks to take his place. Sadly I agree with that.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Agree with most of this apart from the last sentence, thought Bowen did nothing wrong, beat his man the one chance he had, Rashford however wasted 3 or 4 good possessions by failing to beat his man each time. Bowen and Mainoo the 2 you'd like to see get a start in the week and see how they fare (and hopefully Rice gets a rest)
Edit: Expect to see Toney get 90 minutes or close to it as well
Maybe as we were weak going forward I thought Bowen huffed and puffed with no end product.

Spot on with the Toney shout.

Can probably see him starting with a similar first XI 🤬

But as it’s a friendly let’s hope he shocks us😂

Maybe even Toney and Watkins upfront and try a 3 5 2 🤷‍♂️

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cannot believe anyone watched. I forgot one have denounced the England team and will never watch them again after the flag fiasco. Just to remind you the manager and the entire family did nothing. I also will never buy Nike stuff again.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Forget the mistakes, just watch Maguire and his positioning, really poor. Always the wrong side of the striker and he doesn’t seem to anticipate anything. I’ve just read a report on the BBC website, to paraphrase it says Maguire is very lucky that no one has come through the ranks to take his place. Sadly I agree with that.
I quite liked Maguire as he can be an old fashioned no nonsense central defender, unfortunately I think his confidence is shot and the players around him have non in him either.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Tomori at Milan seemed to be getting good reports a few months ago but it all seems to have gone quiet recently. Does seem strange that we haven't got anyone ready to step in instead. Having said that if Franco Baresi in his prime took English citizenship and made himself available and Southgate would still pick Maguire over him.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tomori at Milan seemed to be getting good reports a few months ago but it all seems to have gone quiet recently. Does seem strange that we haven't got anyone ready to step in instead. Having said that if Franco Baresi in his prime took English citizenship and made himself available and Southgate would still pick Maguire over him.

Didn't Tomori get stitched up in that friendly when England got humped?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It’s not often I watch an England game all the way through, usually only having it on in the background. Not the best of Brazilian teams, and if there’d been better finishing by both sides it could have been 3-3. As an opportunity to see some different players, England (almost) ticked that box very well.

Think I would have only given Pickford 45mins, not bothered which half, and tried a 2nd keeper even if it was just to give them some match time in an England shirt as a confidence booster at least. Maguire; he gave a Maguire performance. Didn’t do much wrong but will never set the world on fire. Surely there’s someone better out there. Walker; didn’t see enough of him to say whether or not he was having a good game. A friend made an interesting point about him. Walker makes some great, last ditch tackles and blocks… why? The point made was he was having to do that because he gets caught out being too far forward too often. Never thought about it from that perspective before - not sure I agree either way.

Bellingham, Foden & Rice were very good, especially against a very mobile Brazilian midfield. Gallagher; no, and I mean NO. He needs to try and stay on his feet a bit more. Trying to con an international ref is a bit harder than swan diving in the Prem. Bowen; some glimpses of what he’s capable of. Worth another game at least but a fit Saka is more than head and shoulders above him.

Mainoo; Mmm, his inexperience and naivety showed through. Carried the ball well but a bit like early Sterling he was funnelled into a cul de sac too easily. I feel the upcoming Euros is a season too early for him. A good game for Gordon but Watkins had one decent touch all game. Might make the squad but I wouldn’t take him.

Looking forward to Tuesday’s game, providing the selections are along similar lines, i.e. we get to see fringe players.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not often I watch an England game all the way through, usually only having it on in the background. Not the best of Brazilian teams, and if there’d been better finishing by both sides it could have been 3-3. As an opportunity to see some different players, England (almost) ticked that box very well.

Think I would have only given Pickford 45mins, not bothered which half, and tried a 2nd keeper even if it was just to give them some match time in an England shirt as a confidence booster at least. Maguire; he gave a Maguire performance. Didn’t do much wrong but will never set the world on fire. Surely there’s someone better out there. Walker; didn’t see enough of him to say whether or not he was having a good game. A friend made an interesting point about him. Walker makes some great, last ditch tackles and blocks… why? The point made was he was having to do that because he gets caught out being too far forward too often. Never thought about it from that perspective before - not sure I agree either way.

Bellingham, Foden & Rice were very good, especially against a very mobile Brazilian midfield. Gallagher; no, and I mean NO. He needs to try and stay on his feet a bit more. Trying to con an international ref is a bit harder than swan diving in the Prem. Bowen; some glimpses of what he’s capable of. Worth another game at least but a fit Saka is more than head and shoulders above him.

Mainoo; Mmm, his inexperience and naivety showed through. Carried the ball well but a bit like early Sterling he was funnelled into a cul de sac too easily. I feel the upcoming Euros is a season too early for him. A good game for Gordon but Watkins had one decent touch all game. Might make the squad but I wouldn’t take him.

Looking forward to Tuesday’s game, providing the selections are along similar lines, i.e. we get to see fringe players.

I feel Bowen developed too late for England and his chance is gone

He is 27 now but saka is 5 years younger and already established as the right winger

He isn't going to replace Saka and even if kane got injured you have enough quality ahead of him up front

Bonus for us as less chance of injury

Only way I can see him getting a chance to perform for England is a 2002 style world cup of injuries to dyer and then dyer replacement (Danny Murphy) to allow for Sinclair to come into the side (and do fantastic)

I think he's a useful player to have as a sub but he won't start anytime soon.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I thought it was going to be a fairly uninteresting game.
I was not disappointed. Looked like a game between two mid-table Championship sides.
Wales vs Scotland womens rugby match earlier in the day was much more exciting.

PaulMdj

Visit site

I would drop Pickford for Tues and play both reserves, 45 mins each.

Problem with last night is that it doesn’t show the Squad as having a great depth, probably got 14-15 players you can start your first XI from, after that we need to hope we don’t need the rest.