The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Enjoyable game , Sheff Wed deserved the win on the balance of play

Thought the red card was a little harsh and was one of those that if a yellow was given then don’t see people screaming for a red

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you are maybe selling Newcastle a little short.

Manchester United really lack depth in their squad in terms of quality replacements in key positions. Despite that, AND the dreaded Thursday night commitments, AND cup runs to two finals, they still managed to finish in the top four, relatively comfortably as it turned out.

Much of that is doubtless down to those outside the top four having rather indifferent seasons, but if United can achieve it then Newcastle most certainly can.
Perhaps....but I dont imagine that Chelsea will be quite as woeful as they were this season and Liverpool will surely find a bit more consistency....and they along with Man U are used to campaigning on multiple fronts. Maybe Spurs wont be quite as Spursy (a long shot I know!!) and will also challenge for something.

Very much looking forward to see what the summer brings in the way of transfer activity.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Had a soft spot for both Sheffield clubs for years. We used to spend every Christmas with extended family in Sheffield when we were kids in the 70’s/80’s, and always took in a game on Boxing Day at either Bramall Lane or Hillsborough. Great to see both clubs promoted this season.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just got home, absolutely shattered 😴
First half was poor but the red card (didn’t really see it from where I was sat) changed the game but Barnsley were still very dangerous on the break. Thought we were totally dominant in extra time but to wait until the last kick of the game 😱
Was our disallowed goal offside? I haven’t seen a replay yet. Couldn’t really tell with the pen either, happened so quick and just appeared to be a clash rather than a foul.
Barnsley were excellent and we were far from out best, also puzzled why we played the long ball to Smith all game when we’ve not really played that way all season 🤔
Very frustrating game but we got the job done 👌

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Beezerk , yes the goal was correctly ruled out for offside. A shame as it was a cracking goal, great celebration, but it was not a controversial one.

I think Windass said afterwards it was a terrible game 😄. That wasn't quite right but the tension of the prize means that finals are rarely good to watch. Too much at stake, it messes with people.

Anyway, you won, who cares if it was classic or not 🤣

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
First half was poor but the red card (didn’t really see it from where I was sat) changed the game but Barnsley were still very dangerous on the break. Thought we were totally dominant in extra time but to wait until the last kick of the game 😱
Was our disallowed goal offside? I haven’t seen a replay yet. Couldn’t really tell with the pen either, happened so quick and just appeared to be a clash rather than a foul.
Barnsley were excellent and we were far from out best, also puzzled why we played the long ball to Smith all game when we’ve not really played that way all season 🤔

I totally forgot about the play off, and only saw the last 10 mins. Great to see Wed promoted - it guarantees Boro 6pts before a ball is kicked ;)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

For me it was a red. Reckless challenge and could have caused serious injury (nowhere near getting the ball). Miles (ish!) offside for the goal so one of those that in the past the lino would stick his flag up once the winger got the ball and the rest wouldn't have happened. The scorer and his team wasted huge energy celebrating and then went flat for a few minutes. Just stick the bloody flag up lino! Ok I know he's following rules but they're stupid.

Enjoy. Get some sleep :)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me it was a red. Reckless challenge and could have caused serious injury (nowhere near getting the ball). Miles (ish!) offside for the goal so one of those that in the past the lino would stick his flag up once the winger got the ball and the rest wouldn't have happened. The scorer and his team wasted huge energy celebrating and then went flat for a few minutes. Just stick the bloody flag up lino! Ok I know he's following rules but they're stupid.

Enjoy. Get some sleep :)

Just seen the highlights red card was deserved for me, there may have been limited contact but he’s off the ground almost knee high with studs showing 😮

D

Deleted member 15344

I’d agree with it if they actually had a service to watch all games like NFL and NBA gamepass.

So because by the media rights there isn’t the ability to watch all the games in UK then it’s ok for some to illegal find ways around that 🤷‍♂️

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So because by the media rights there isn’t the ability to watch all the games in UK then it’s ok for some to illegal find ways around that 🤷‍♂️
Personal view is that it is an outdated law/decision.
those who want to go to the games will still go to the games.

those that don’t go to games can still enjoy them rather than seeing 5 minutes of highlights at 2230.