The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I think it is worth remembering that Wednesday were only two points short of second place and Barnsley were 10 points behind Wednesday in 4th.
For that I am willing to concede that Wednesday going up is probably, justifiably, deserved.
Even though my Granddad played for Barnsley and Barnsley Municipal was my first golf course - I'm not bitter.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Personal view is that it is an outdated law/decision.
those who want to go to the games will still go to the games.

those that don’t go to games can still enjoy them rather than seeing 5 minutes of highlights at 2230.
I agree its outdated but it is in place to protect the lesser teams in the lower leagues. For the PL to agree to selling 3pm games rights, there would certainly be objection frim the bigger clubs. ManU,Liverpool and Arsenal in recent years have been trying to renegotiate the current deal so they can sell there own rights like they do in Spain. Real Madrid and Barcelona have a huge advantage financially due to this. If it was allowed that clubs sold there own rights, the gap in the Premier League would only get bigger between the top teams. As it is, the Premier league clubs get an equal share of 50% of the TV rights. Then everytime they are on TV they then get X amount per game. All clubs must be shown minimum 4 times per year.

D

Deleted member 15344

Personal view is that it is an outdated law/decision.
those who want to go to the games will still go to the games.

those that don’t go to games can still enjoy them rather than seeing 5 minutes of highlights at 2230.
Some may think it’s outdated but they have it there for more about protecting the lower level teams as opposed to the Prem

If it changes then the top clubs would then find a way to challenge it and negotiate their own media rights and take even more money - just look at Barcelona and Madrid as an example

But the rules are there and people are using the streams to stop paying the required subscriptions to Sky etc - it’s theft at the end of the day

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I think it is worth remembering that Wednesday were only two points short of second place and Barnsley were 10 points behind Wednesday in 4th.
For that I am willing to concede that Wednesday going up is probably, justifiably, deserved.
Even though my Granddad played for Barnsley and Barnsley Municipal was my first golf course - I'm not bitter.
Have you played Barnsley Muni recently?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree it’s outdated but it is in place to protect the lesser teams in the lower leagues. For the PL to agree to selling 3pm games rights, there would certainly be objection frim the bigger clubs. ManU,Liverpool and Arsenal in recent years have been trying to renegotiate the current deal so they can sell their own rights like they do in Spain. Real Madrid and Barcelona have a huge advantage financially due to this. If it was allowed that clubs sold their own rights, the gap in the Premier League would only get bigger between the top teams. As it is, the Premier league clubs get an equal share of 50% of the TV rights. Then everytime they are on TV they then get X amount per game. All clubs must be shown minimum 4 times per year.

I still stand by the fact that those that want to go watch the lower league games will still go to watch them.

it’s a bit laughable that anywhere else in the world can watch the sport in this country, but those in this country can’t watch it

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Having been at the game I thought Barnsley were excellent and played some terrific football but didn’t really break us down much apart from that one chance on the break. Defensively Barnsley were very well organised and strong, on balance of chances I thought we deserved it though.
Who was your grandad btw?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Having been at the game I thought Barnsley were excellent and played some terrific football but didn’t really break us down much apart from that one chance on the break. Defensively Barnsley were very well organised and strong, on balance of chances I thought we deserved it though.
Who was your grandad btw?
PM sent.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I still stand by the fact that those that want to go watch the lower league games will still go to watch them.

it’s a bit laughable that anywhere else in the world can watch the sport in this country, but those in this country can’t watch it

if someone offered me a deal for £50 a month to watch every single west ham game on tv id take it.

people always say "but its illegal" why is it that it still illegal? because it keeps rich people rich.. make no bones about it

they can change laws anytime.. and do often to suit .. I mean when ipods came out it was technically illegal to put your music onto it because you broke the copy right on the disc everytime you put the music across.. but they saw it would make even more money this way so what did they do? changed the law.

the greed of sky keeps the status quo.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
if someone offered me a deal for £50 a month to watch every single west ham game on tv id take it.

people always say "but its illegal" why is it that it still illegal? because it keeps rich people rich.. make no bones about it

they can change laws anytime.. and do often to suit .. I mean when ipods came out it was technically illegal to put your music onto it because you broke the copy right on the disc everytime you put the music across.. but they saw it would make even more money this way so what did they do? changed the law.

the greed of sky keeps the status quo.
It's the greed of the PL that actually keeps the status quo. The whole 20 clubs. If the clubs wanted change they would discuss and vote on it but they dont as the majority know they'll suffer financially Sky play a massive part in it too, as do the betting companies. Football is on Live TV 7 days a week. The market is saturated with football.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's the greed of the PL that actually keeps the status quo. The whole 20 clubs. If the clubs wanted change they would discuss and vote on it but they dont as the majority know they'll suffer financially Sky play a massive part in it too, as do the betting companies. Football is on Live TV 7 days a week. The market is saturated with football.

of course lets not forget the betting companies .. even though we ban players from gambling on games (rightly) and we dont want kids to start gambling (correct) but fine to plaster shirts and stadiums with gambling money

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The 3pm kick off rights aren't anything The PL controls.

The UK government puts the hold on it I believe.

I have no issue with the dodgy boxes showing these games as crowds are still full.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 3pm kick off rights aren't anything The PL controls.

The UK government puts the hold on it I believe.

I have no issue with the dodgy boxes showing these games as crowds are still full.

Lower league crowds people still go because they want to. They either are proper fans of a club or support their local team because their club is either two expensive or too far away but still want to watch football.

Few of us go over the local club just as something to do together. We used to go to west ham on league cup games £10 a ticket because it was cheap and something you could all do (only 2 of us out of 10-15 were west ham fans)

Lower league will always be supported

Wonder if they let 3pm games be shown legally how many pubs would get a boost if based in the area with a lot of support. Everyone complains of the death of the local pub but put say spurs game on in a spurs supporting area and bet it would be packed every game

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Lower league crowds people still go because they want to. They either are proper fans of a club or support their local team because their club is either two expensive or too far away but still want to watch football.

Few of us go over the local club just as something to do together. We used to go to west ham on league cup games £10 a ticket because it was cheap and something you could all do (only 2 of us out of 10-15 were west ham fans)

Lower league will always be supported

Wonder if they let 3pm games be shown legally how many pubs would get a boost if based in the area with a lot of support. Everyone complains of the death of the local pub but put say spurs game on in a spurs supporting area and bet it would be packed every game

Quite a few lower league clubs stream their matches live, and sell either match day passes or season passes for the stream. Near neighbour has a Bolton pass, and I have a Boro pass. Depending on who is home or away we get the choice of his house or mine, unless both are away. If both are home we restrict the abuse to WhatsApp messages to each other.

D

Deleted member 31467

I understand that cheap streaming of football matches may technically be theft but as a working man on a limited income it is hard to feel sympathy that I'm stealing from some prima donna earning hundreds of thousands of pounds a week.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
THe whole thing is just so inevitable. You take what is the sport of the people in this country and you then package it up, wrap it with a bow then sell it to the people at sky high prices whilst ensuring that a club fan needs multiple subscriptions to see all the matches. You then crank up the cost of the match day experience so as most cannot afford to go and also hold back the rights to televise some matches. You market the hell out of it so every kid is screaming to be able to see all the matches on TV and sell it as something totally unmissable whilst ensuring that the top clubs and players get richer and richer and then act surprised when the very people who were the heart of the sport feel excluded and look for alternative means of being able to watch their club.

The spread of less than legal viewing methods was the most inevitable thing to happen and I am not sure I can totally condemn it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
30 years for dodgy streaming 😱
I wonder if the Premier League who bought the prosecutions are just as vehement when it comes to dealing with Man City and Everton. 😆
Makes me laugh. You don't see sentences like that for rape, paedophilia, racist abuse etc. But if it costs some rich bigwigs a bit of money they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Makes me laugh. You don't see sentences like that for rape, paedophilia, racist abuse etc. But if it costs some rich bigwigs a bit of money they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Fraud has always carried large sentences. If people actually read the details instead of responding to a bad headline it’s pretty obvious that no single person has been sentenced to 30 years. 5 members of a gang have been convicted varyingly across multiple offences. The person receiving the largest sentence is 11 years for multiple offences; fraud, money laundering and contempt of court. Fraud carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in itself.

Other interesting fact for perspective. They took £7million between them and that could/shoud have otherwise gone into the coffers of the football clubs we all support.

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Fraud has always carried large sentences. If people actually read the details instead of responding to a bad headline it’s pretty obvious that no single person has been sentenced to 30 years. 5 members of a gang have been convicted varyingly across multiple offences. The person receiving the largest sentence is 11 years for multiple offences; fraud, money laundering and contempt of court. Fraud carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in itself.

Other interesting fact for perspective. They took £7million between them and that could/shoud have otherwise gone into the coffers of the football clubs we all support.
I'm not sure the 7m really came from the clubs. Most people who have the boxes use them for games not sold in the UK. So whilst they have not declared tax etc I dont see the clubs losing money as such.