The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The problem we have at Palace is simply that we dont have a goal scorer, we play attacking football when we can, but as a team that finished 12th last year we can't attract a class striker and if the top scorer only has about 6 goals we are always going to under perform. I'm not keen on Lampard to come in but if he does lets just hope he just finds that something that he hasn't elsewhere. One consolation is that we have to play all the teams below us, so it is in our own hands to dig in and win most of those fixtures

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The problem we have at Palace is simply that we dont have a goal scorer, we play attacking football when we can, but as a team that finished 12th last year we can't attract a class striker and if the top scorer only has about 6 goals we are always going to under perform. I'm not keen on Lampard to come in but if he does lets just hope he just finds that something that he hasn't elsewhere. One consolation is that we have to play all the teams below us, so it is in our own hands to dig in and win most of those fixtures

Most might be optimistic but you've got more than enough to stay up I think!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Champions League Quarter Final draw shortly

Would be nice to see Real v Bayern be drawn for the English teams left in.

How Chelsea are in the final 8 of Europe but 2 points off Villa ill never know, mental football club :ROFLMAO:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Champions League Quarter Final draw shortly

Would be nice to see Real v Bayern be drawn for the English teams left in.

How Chelsea are in the final 8 of Europe but 2 points off Villa ill never know, mental football club :ROFLMAO:

You know we are getting Chelsea v Man City to dump one of the English teams out and i would not be surprised at an Italian head to head either.

D

Deleted member 15344

🇪🇸 Real Madrid vs Chelsea 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🇮🇹 Inter Milan vs Benfica 🇵🇹
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Man City vs Bayern Munich 🇩🇪
🇮🇹 AC Milan vs Napoli 🇮🇹

Think it will be

Real Madrid
Benfica
Bayern
Napoli

In the semi finals

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
🇪🇸 Real Madrid vs Chelsea 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🇮🇹 Inter Milan vs Benfica 🇵🇹
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Man City vs Bayern Munich 🇩🇪
🇮🇹 AC Milan vs Napoli 🇮🇹

Think it will be

Real Madrid
Benfica
Bayern
Napoli

In the semi finals

Knowing Chelsea theyll somehow win against Madrid. Its just so Chelsea to win the CL this season :ROFLMAO:

Bayern v City is going to be awesome

D

Deleted member 15344

Knowing Chelsea theyll somehow win against Madrid. Its just so Chelsea to win the CL this season :ROFLMAO:

Bayern v City is going to be awesome

The semi finals are

Chelsea/Madrid Vs City/Bayern

Inter/Benfica Vs Napoli/AC

Unless something dramatic happens then imo Napoli will be in the final

And think it will be Madrid

that could be a brilliant final

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The semi finals are

Chelsea/Madrid Vs City/Bayern

Inter/Benfica Vs Napoli/AC

Unless something dramatic happens then imo Napoli will be in the final

And think it will be Madrid

that could be a brilliant final

This is the Champions League, madness happens every year!

Gutted we cant get an all England final again but hope Chelsea go all the way.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surprised at Palace sacking Vieira. I thought they might be in relegation trouble this season but they haven't been, really. Ok they've not won for a while and are in touching distance but they're still 12th as it stands. Seems very kneejerk. That's football now though.

Actually having looked it up they haven't won a league game in 2023. I didn't realise it was that bad. :LOL:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the Champions League, madness happens every year!

Gutted we cant get an all England final again but hope Chelsea go all the way.

There is nothing more boring than an all English final. It's like an extra premier league game and just can be a bit flat. Where as an English term Vs another nations team are normally excellent affairs

I hope for city Vs Napoli

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
There is nothing more boring than an all English final. It's like an extra premier league game and just can be a bit flat. Where as an English term Vs another nations team are normally excellent affairs

I hope for city Vs Napoli

There's also nothing worse than being "The best league in the world" and not having regular CL winners.

Id much rather an all English final. Just one without City in it!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's also nothing worse than being "The best league in the world" and not having regular CL winners.

Id much rather an all English final. Just one without City in it!

Why does that matter? "The best league in the world" is much like a "leading COVID vaccine" and all the other tosh our little Island syndrome media drum up.

The champs league should be enjoyed and producing of great football. Not just a point scoring exercise that oh England have won something because we fail to win everything else

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Why does that matter? "The best league in the world" is much like a "leading COVID vaccine" and all the other tosh our little Island syndrome media drum up.

The champs league should be enjoyed and producing of great football. Not just a point scoring exercise that oh England have won something because we fail to win everything else

It matters to me. That's football, we all have different opinions. I don't care about seeing European sides doing well one bit, in fact I think its pathetic that we don't have more teams in the quarters with all the prem spending power.

Its nothing to do with the national side/ England/ bringing trophies home.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It matters to me. That's football, we all have different opinions. I don't care about seeing European sides doing well one bit, in fact I think its pathetic that we don't have more teams in the quarters with all the prem spending power.

Its nothing to do with the national side/ England/ bringing trophies home.

Well I agree we should get more teams through but considering the champs league should really just be the champs of the countries, so 3 would be fa cup, league cup , the champs of the league rather than scrapping 4th place. Might get teams taking the cups seriously again

However the best football is always better , don't you enjoy watching say Madrid Vs Liverpool final which was brilliant as opposed to spurs Vs Liverpool which was awful

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Well I agree we should get more teams through but considering the champs league should really just be the champs of the countries, so 3 would be fa cup, league cup , the champs of the league rather than scrapping 4th place. Might get teams taking the cups seriously again

However the best football is always better , don't you enjoy watching say Madrid Vs Liverpool final which was brilliant as opposed to spurs Vs Liverpool which was awful

Yeah that final was great, and the spurs final was poo I agree but it doesn't mean they all are, and it doesn't mean you need a foreign team.

Bayern v Dortmund was great, Athletico V Madrid was great.

Would still rather see the English clubs contest the final. Wont ever change that opinion.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This argument comes up quite a lot and is one I've used myself previously but when you look back at the list of winners it's normally won by one of the traditional big 6 clubs.

In the last 25 years of the FA Cup there have only been three winners outside of Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs. Portsmouth 2008, Wigan 2013 and Leicester 2021 are the only non big 6 winners. I picked 25 years at random but even in the 10 years before that there's only Everton and Wimbledon that break the big 6 monopoly.

For the League Cup it's Swansea 2013, Birmingham 2011, Middlesborough 2004, Blackburn 2002 and Leicester in 2000, although prior to that there were several other non big 6 winners.

I would love to see the Champions League reverting to the old format of straight two leg knock out with only the champions of each country qualifying but unfortunately with the amount of money at stake that's never going to happen.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This argument comes up quite a lot and is one I've used myself previously but when you look back at the list of winners it's normally won by one of the traditional big 6 clubs.

In the last 25 years of the FA Cup there have only been three winners outside of Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs. Portsmouth 2008, Wigan 2013 and Leicester 2021 are the only non big 6 winners. I picked 25 years at random but even in the 10 years before that there's only Everton and Wimbledon that break the big 6 monopoly.

For the League Cup it's Swansea 2013, Birmingham 2011, Middlesborough 2004, Blackburn 2002 and Leicester in 2000, although prior to that there were several other non big 6 winners.

I would love to see the Champions League reverting to the old format of straight two leg knock out with only the champions of each country qualifying but unfortunately with the amount of money at stake that's never going to happen.
Maybe we need to start rethinking who the Big 6 are? :cool: Bit of a shake up this year

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah that final was great, and the spurs final was poo I agree but it doesn't mean they all are, and it doesn't mean you need a foreign team.

Bayern v Dortmund was great, Athletico V Madrid was great.

Would still rather see the English clubs contest the final. Wont ever change that opinion.

Whilst these are excellent examples the two English clubs are normally rubbish

Where as two foreign clubs from same country aren't nearly as bad

United Vs Liverpool would make an exception as would have a bit of spice to it being a derby