The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love the fact I've turned the Footie thread into a cooking discussion :)

Who will be the first to wade in with some insulting and confrontational comments on the issue? I thought the mention of carrots might trigger some anger by rudebhoy, but he turned it round by acknowledging they were a classic ingredient (one I omit).

On football, any ideas how Arsenal respond to last night? Will they continue their wobble, while City stretch their legs? Or will Arsenal find their groove again?

I think much hinges on the game in hand. If Arsenal win it then it puts them back ahead (albeit by only 3 points) but that could be the psychological boost to regain momentum. Lose it and it could be seen as a straight dog-fight that I don't think such a young squad and manager has the experience to deal with at this moment.

Tomiyasu just doesn't seem cut out for the PL in my eyes and highlights the issues Arsenal have had for over a decade now - defence is weak and error prone, coupled with too much reliance on a young Nketiah to bag the goals, they should have brought in a quality right back and a decent striker in the window but only seemed to be chasing midfielders (ok Trossard is an attacking mid, but still not a Jesus type out and out striker).

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mighty harsh on Tomiyasu imo, hes been excellent at Arsenal since he was signed despite a few injuries. And last night he was thrown back in having not played much and bar the one obvious error thought he had a good game defensively, more worried about Gabriel defensively of late tbh! Individual errors under pressure are often going to happen, especially when trying to constantly play out at the back without your normal release of Partey, his ability to be the option for the defenders and then break the press was massively missed. Odegaard was also far far quieter not having him alongside (and the fact that Rodri was superb)

Last night worries me less than the Everton/Brentford games, we looked far better in the main against a side who didnt set up to throttle our wide players and sit deep and counter, we just werent clinical enough in front of goal with the chances when they came and they were. The squad is clearly shallow and central midfield and striker are the obvious ones currently where we just dont have the quality of cover you need to win the title (dont forget we were 50/1 outsiders at the start of the season and not expected to be in this position). If you look at how far we have progressed in games against the big sides its a vast improvement from even last season let alone the ones before. And hopefully the improvement isnt finished yet.

You have to give City a lot of credit, they put a different type of pressure on Arsenal and forced a couple of mistakes and were clinical when their chances came. The difference for them having Dias back is massive for me, Rodri and De Bruyne in the middle are world class and Haaland got one real chance and scored

And if it hinges on the game in hand, then maybe there is a chance (Its Everton at home ;) )

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mighty harsh on Tomiyasu imo, hes been excellent at Arsenal since he was signed despite a few injuries. And last night he was thrown back in having not played much and bar the one obvious error thought he had a good game defensively, more worried about Gabriel defensively of late tbh! Individual errors under pressure are often going to happen, especially when trying to constantly play out at the back without your normal release of Partey, his ability to be the option for the defenders and then break the press was massively missed. Odegaard was also far far quieter not having him alongside (and the fact that Rodri was superb)

Last night worries me less than the Everton/Brentford games, we looked far better in the main against a side who didnt set up to throttle our wide players and sit deep and counter, we just werent clinical enough in front of goal with the chances when they came and they were. The squad is clearly shallow and central midfield and striker are the obvious ones currently where we just dont have the quality of cover you need to win the title (dont forget we were 50/1 outsiders at the start of the season and not expected to be in this position). If you look at how far we have progressed in games against the big sides its a vast improvement from even last season let alone the ones before. And hopefully the improvement isnt finished yet.

You have to give City a lot of credit, they put a different type of pressure on Arsenal and forced a couple of mistakes and were clinical when their chances came. The difference for them having Dias back is massive for me, Rodri and De Bruyne in the middle are world class and Haaland got one real chance and scored

And if it hinges on the game in hand, then maybe there is a chance (Its Everton at home ;) )

Oh absolutely progress has been made. I made the comment about Tomiyasu as I have only seen him on TV games and in each one I haven't been that impressed by him. Saliba, yes. Gabriel I agree with, he does seem a bit "headless chicken" at times. I just get the impression that Tomiyasu has potential and bags of it but is too nervous (maybe it was too big a jump going from a team like Bologna to Arsenal). Not sure what it is about him but it's just opinion.

I do think that game in hand is important as it's a chance to retake the initiative. But beware the Ides of March (or February in this case :D), Everton... is there not a recent history there? :p

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think people will find that Everton have Arsenal nicely tucked away in our back pocket :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you are asking people to play constantly out from the back, at high tempo with a team playing a high press, then players are occasionally going to give the ball away. That is just the reality of it. The margins are just way too tight.

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
I think people will find that Everton have Arsenal nicely tucked away in our back pocket :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you are asking people to play constantly out from the back, at high tempo with a team playing a high press, then players are occasionally going to give the ball away. That is just the reality of it. The margins are just way too tight.
That seems like a reason to change the tactic where that's the case - or at least reassess it!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That seems like a reason to change the tactic where that's the case - or at least reassess it!
100%. Even if only for 5 minutes. City in the second half in particular just threw bodies up against Arsenal for their goal kicks because they were never going to have the ball played over or behind them. Miss out the short kick for 2 or 3 goal kicks and then they would have to be more circumspect about the numbers they commit. Mix it up and a team would have so much more space to play with. It is pure stubbornness and cost Arsenal last night.

It's a bug bear of mine. Playing from the back is great but it is not the right option every time.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought at one stage last night Arteta was going to make a tackle himself he was that far out of his technical area! Perhaps they need picket fencing to keep managers in their area. :LOL:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Looking forward to two legs against Barcelona, but I will admit to being unconcerned with the result. Given United’s position in the league, top four and Champion’s League qualification is now very achievable meaning Europa League success is less of a necessity than it has been in recent seasons. And we could do without the fixture pile up.

So whilst a win would be nice, defeat is now no longer a disaster and may even be a blessing in disguise.

Swango1980

Visit site
Looking forward to two legs against Barcelona, but I will admit to being unconcerned with the result. Given United’s position in the league, top four and Champion’s League qualification is now very achievable meaning Europa League success is less of a necessity than it has been in recent seasons. And we could do without the fixture pile up.

So whilst a win would be nice, defeat is now no longer a disaster and may even be a blessing in disguise.
I'll echo that. Obviously want to win, but still accepting we are work in progress.