The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Re the penalty.
we will see loads of them at the weekend not given.
refs are so inconsistent they cause problems for themselves imo.

He dosnt get the ball he takes the man out it’s a foul.
It is going to be a difficult one to manage. Striker running through on goal. Goalkeeper has no choice but to run out and narrow the angle. All the striker needs to do is delay the shot until they are close to the keeper. So long as they make sure they don't kick ball against keeper (like, just balloon it high if keeper has done well to narrow the target), they just then run into keeper. Penalty (or free kick and red card if outside of box).

There is probably a good reason we rarely see those types of penalty given. Sure, definite contact. But, will goalkeepers now have to train differently for one on ones?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is going to be a difficult one to manage. Striker running through on goal. Goalkeeper has no choice but to run out and narrow the angle. All the striker needs to do is delay the shot until they are close to the keeper. So long as they make sure they don't kick ball against keeper (like, just balloon it high if keeper has done well to narrow the target), they just then run into keeper. Penalty (or free kick and red card if outside of box).

There is probably a good reason we rarely see those types of penalty given. Sure, definite contact. But, will goalkeepers now have to train differently for one on ones?

No. It's no different to how it has been. In a one on one the keeper has to get something on the ball, anything on the ball. That hasn't changed.

Its no different to a player rounding the keeper and the keeper bringing them down without contacting the ball. You make a challenge, you win the ball. If not, it's a free kick.

Swango1980

Visit site
No. It's no different to how it has been. In a one on one the keeper has to get something on the ball, anything on the ball. That hasn't changed.

Its no different to a player rounding the keeper and the keeper bringing them down without contacting the ball. You make a challenge, you win the ball. If not, it's a free kick.
I'd say your example is different. If a player takes it round the keeper, and keeper takes them out, he has done so while that player was still in control of what they were doing with the ball.

If a player balloons it over, then runs into keeper, the keeper has not changed the outcome. Ball had gone. I'd generally only expect them to be penalised if their actions were dangerous.

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
If that's a penalty why hasn't Ederson been booked for the challenge? An outfield player making that challenge to give away a penalty would've been booked. Has the ref bottled it because he's already booked him?
Deemed a foul, but not foul play perhaps? Keepers generally get a bit more leeway in quite a few situations

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd say your example is different. If a player takes it round the keeper, and keeper takes them out, he has done so while that player was still in control of what they were doing with the ball.

If a player balloons it over, then runs into keeper, the keeper has not changed the outcome. Ball had gone. I'd generally only expect them to be penalised if their actions were dangerous.

The player didn't balloon it over. Not in every case does the player still have control of the ball rounding the keeper. In either instance the keeper is still making a challenge and missing the ball.

Otherwise, what's to stop keepers just taking players out as they please?

Clearly we are not going to agree on this so lets just move on.

Swango1980

Visit site
The player didn't balloon it over. Not in every case does the player still have control of the ball rounding the keeper. In either instance the keeper is still making a challenge and missing the ball.

Otherwise, what's to stop keepers just taking players out as they please?

Clearly we are not going to agree on this so lets just move on.
There is definitely a difference between a keeper genuinely trying to come out and close the angle, and just taking a player out as they please.

D

Deleted member 15344

Heck of a let off then

Gabriel is lucky as it looked like he put his hand on the ref there after he was given the yellow

And that was a bit naughty from Haaland

Swango1980

Visit site
I was glancing through the laws of the game earlier, was surprised to see the 6 seconds rule was still in there. If gk holds onto it more than that, indirect free kick.

Yet, I am sure Ederson has held onto it for 15 to 20 seconds at times?

D

Deleted member 15344

City have robbed Arsenal here who have played the better football - City clinical when they get the chances

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fair play to City, we gave it a good go but too many mistakes at the crucial point have cost us. Massively missed Partey esp when playing out from the back, just had no one in the middle to progress the ball from deep and thats what led to 2 of the errors and goals :(

That said if youd have said 12 mths ago theyd be using every trick in the book against us because they need to then Id be shocked, but weve come a long way, just not quite far enough, yet....

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was glancing through the laws of the game earlier, was surprised to see the 6 seconds rule was still in there. If gk holds onto it more than that, indirect free kick.

Yet, I am sure Ederson has held onto it for 15 to 20 seconds at times?

Is it?
My manager said it was done away with a few years ago when I asked him. Time to have words 🤣

D

Deleted member 15344

Think that’s going to be the start of a City run now to see then create a gap at the top - they didn’t play great but took their chances very well - Arsenal missed some golden chances