The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Someone remind me of the offside rule. If a player is in an offside position, but defender intentionally played ball, it isn't offside?

You took the words out of my mouth. Surely the defender deliberately played the ball, therefore starting a new phase of play, so Weghorst cannot be offside. I simply don’t understand why that goal was ruled out when other recent ones have been allowed to stand.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
You took the words out of my mouth. Surely the defender deliberately played the ball, therefore starting a new phase of play, so Weghorst cannot be offside. I simply don’t understand why that goal was ruled out when other recent ones have been allowed to stand.

It’s getting ridiculous this offside carryon, I don’t think anyone knows ?

Swango1980

Visit site
The commentators or pundits didn't even question it. It is like they forgot the Salah goal ever happened a few weeks ago

Billysboots

Visit site
The commentators or pundits didn't even question it. It is like they forgot the Salah goal ever happened a few weeks ago

The goals were fundamentally the same, the exception being in Salah’s case that he was the offside player. Other than that no difference whatsoever.

Billysboots

Visit site
Yeah, a deliberate touch by the defender

This merely confirms my view that the goals were fundamentally the same. Neither defender had the ball under control although both made a deliberate attempt to play it. One stands, and I seem to recall the match commentary team commented that the decision was correct. The other ruled out without any comment other than “he’s offside”.

It’s an utter nonsense.

D

Deleted member 15344

This merely confirms my view that the goals were fundamentally the same. Neither defender had the ball under control although both made a deliberate attempt to play it. One stands, and I seem to recall the match commentary team commented that the decision was correct. The other ruled out without any comment other than “he’s offside”.

It’s an utter nonsense.
?

That it is indeed - even more so when you’re relying on peoples “interpretation” of what they mean by “deliberate”

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It’s an utter nonsense.
Yes it’s nonsense.
as the law stands it’s a goal.
you would think with the controversial decisions lately that they would get this right.
just shows how poor VAR is, it just isn’t working.

imo that’s offside so was Rashford and Salah.
it needs to be changed.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes it’s nonsense.
as the law stands it’s a goal.
you would think with the controversial decisions lately that they would get this right.
just shows how poor VAR is, it just isn’t working.

imo that’s offside so was Rashford and Salah.
it needs to be changed.
Dare I say it, Lee Mason was on VAR. If memory serves me correct, he has been the VAR referee on multiple occasions when making very bad calls? I think they've also banned him from PL games the following week several times as a result

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dare I say it, Lee Mason was on VAR. If memory serves me correct, he has been the VAR referee on multiple occasions when making very bad calls? I think they've also banned him from PL games the following week several times as a result
If VAR refs are going to make mistakes like this we might as well just let the onfield ref call it Like pre VAR.
at least it’s a genuine mistake then not a complete mess.
Its the rule that’s the problem but at least apply the rule consistently.

Swango1980

Visit site
VAR is absolutely crazy. It can act in potential red card incidents. Brighton player absolutely taken out when running through on goal, nothing!!!!!!

Can VAR only act with violent conduct red cards?