The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, you cannot get a match day ticket for love nor money, any spares sell out instantly. It’s like back to the Keegan days where they went from 18,000 a week to a full house overnight.
I’ve heard rumours of a new stadium somewhere near the town moor, I can’t think where else they could build one, the old Metro arena space maybe?
They really are a little stuck. Hugely difficult to expand the existing site, no other logical locations to build a new one other than in parks or the town moor which are protected and planning would be refused. You are then looking at moving out of the city, sacrilege to the Toon. The ground is a massive part of the city economy on match day and the pubs, cafes, restaurants, sandwich shops etc wont want to lose all of that.

Perhaps some clever engineers / architects can work out a way of adding more? Not if it means more level 7 though :eek:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Keep the faith. Still got my £5 on a top 4 finish. Thinking of placing another one now we've lulled the bookies into making us 500-1.
?

haha, I stuck a top half finish on before the season after we signed Gibbs-White....might still come in???

To be fair, if we consistently play like we played against Tottenham, we'll stay up comfortably. I hope we see him reward Wednesday's performance and puts out a variation the squad that started the game. Two up top (one of which HAS to be Surridge) with Lingard or Gibbs-White behind might be the formula we were missing.

Mangala taking one for the team and seeing red for crocking Richarlison is a small price to pay to humble that bell, but gives us a problem with who to play in his place; with Freuler and Kouyate going to Qatar, they might be playing a bit within themselves to try and avoid injury.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yeah, sounds complex. Theres part of Villa park thats listed too, really scuppers development to a point - but anything is possible with Newcastle money, you could totally rebuild the thing from the start, incorporating all the issues into the new plan - its just where you play in the mean time.
I randomly heard Richard Keys suggestion a week or two ago.

In order for Newcastle to attract big players, they should consider moving to London. Not the stadium (necessarily), or the full club itself. But, the first team should consider moving to London, at least for training and living, as all the big time players would prefer to be in London than Newcastle (his words). They would then simply travel to home games.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

In order for Newcastle to attract big players, they should consider moving to London. Not the stadium (necessarily), or the full club itself. But, the first team should consider moving to London, at least for training and living, as all the big time players would prefer to be in London than Newcastle (his words). They would then simply travel to home games.

I mean its not like they couldn't afford a private Jet for the weekly commute... But I cant see it happening really.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

How that man still steals a living is beyond me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Wow, he must have been desperate for clicks, publicity, whatever, to come out with that nonsense. What a plank.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
They really are a little stuck. Hugely difficult to expand the existing site, no other logical locations to build a new one other than in parks or the town moor which are protected and planning would be refused. You are then looking at moving out of the city, sacrilege to the Toon. The ground is a massive part of the city economy on match day and the pubs, cafes, restaurants, sandwich shops etc wont want to lose all of that.

Perhaps some clever engineers / architects can work out a way of adding more? Not if it means more level 7 though :eek:

If Qatar can build a temporary stadium out of shipping containers that can be disassembled then it must be feasible to build a temporary stadium on a brownfield site somewhere whilst SJP is redeveloped.

Whether moving slightly 150yds north west and rotating the pitch 90 degrees might help alleviate the issues caused by the Metro station and the Leazes Terrace I dont know....also might allow for a sunken pitch level so that there doesnt have to be so much stair climbing!!!

At the end of the day, our owners have an awful lot of money.....and money talks....especially if (as originally proposed) there would be investment from PIF into the local community.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If Qatar can build a temporary stadium out of shipping containers that can be disassembled then it must be feasible to build a temporary stadium on a brownfield site somewhere whilst SJP is redeveloped.

Whether moving slightly 150yds north west and rotating the pitch 90 degrees might help alleviate the issues caused by the Metro station and the Leazes Terrace I dont know....also might allow for a sunken pitch level so that there doesnt have to be so much stair climbing!!!

At the end of the day, our owners have an awful lot of money.....and money talks....especially if (as originally proposed) there would be investment from PIF into the local community.
I think rotating and sinking the stadium is a really interesting one. It's like Kirstie swapping a living room and kitchen in a house, it just needs imagination :LOL:. Perhaps the owners can take one of those temporary stadiums, put it along Scotswood Road, Ouseburn, Byker etc, where there is spare land that is cheap, for a couple of years and redevelop St James Park in the meantime. People might accept the temporary move in the knowledge that it is just that, temporary.

It's hard to imagine when you only know the existing set up, one that works so well for the city as a whole.

Swango1980

Visit site

Maybe, but how many of the workforce have to die on the job, whilst working for £1 a week, would be acceptable, before this plan becomes unfeasible ;) ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think rotating and sinking the stadium is a really interesting one. It's like Kirstie swapping a living room and kitchen in a house, it just needs imagination :LOL:. Perhaps the owners can take one of those temporary stadiums, put it along Scotswood Road, Ouseburn, Byker etc, where there is spare land that is cheap, for a couple of years and redevelop St James Park in the meantime. People might accept the temporary move in the knowledge that it is just that, temporary.

It's hard to imagine when you only know the existing set up, one that works so well for the city as a whole.

and how much is your budget sir....? ;)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Just flatten Arthur’s Hill ?

Swango1980

Visit site
I wonder if Ward-Prowse will be tempted to go in on Jordan Henderson with a dangerous, 2 footed challenge this weekend. He would probably get sent off, but also improve his chances to get a call up for the World Cup.

In all seriousness, I wonder how many England players will get injured this weekend? A relatively minor 2-3 week injury, they can probably kiss their ticket to Qatar good-bye.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wonder if Ward-Prowse will be tempted to go in on Jordan Henderson with a dangerous, 2 footed challenge this weekend. He would probably get sent off, but also improve his chances to get a call up for the World Cup.

In all seriousness, I wonder how many England players will get injured this weekend? A relatively minor 2-3 week injury, they can probably kiss their ticket to Qatar good-bye.
Isn’t Kyle Walker still injured ?
He’s still going.
It’s a gamble.