The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I didn't notice it too badly last night - I thought we'd got better since Samba left - he was the king of that; you'd have thrown your remote at the TV if he was between the sticks.

It wasn't ugly, but 2 goals conceded (and only one from open play) in the last 3 games has to be a positive. We seem to have a much better shape defensively and everyone knows what they're doing, making us hard to score against. Seems like that's been the focus in training since the Leicester game, and the attacking tactics will follow - and in the meantime we just have to hope we nick a few chances. Not ideal, but short term, it's required. On the plus side, Wozza got a short run out last night, and Biancone FINALLY got a few minutes in his legs and looked half decent (first touch aside!) down the right with plenty of pace. Get him in the starting 11 on Saturday with Aurier on the left (if he can play there) and I think it might give us a chance defensively as well as a few options going forward. Mangala close to getting back to full fitness too as he had 65 minutes last night...hopefully the start of things settling down and building into a team that can get a few points!

Nah he was utterly unsubtle and got himself booked plenty for it even in the championship, he was fine haha (ok if i hadnt backed him to be booked i was throwing the remote....)

The issue for me is if sides are going to do this it needs to be punished from the start and consistently as it really isnt good as a spectacle. Watching a ref point at his watch then add 1 minute on after 90 mins is utterly ridiculous and just ensures sides will continue to do it with icing on top. Dont get me wrong, most sides do it at some point (we certainly do) but its just another negative that has been allowed to creep into the game, with so called wily ex pros praising their new buzz phrase of "game management" second only to "earning" a penalty in annoying phrases currently

Edit: 17 yellows and 1 red over 3 championship seasons for Forest. Thats some effort for a keeper!!!!!

Swango1980

Visit site
Not at all ?‍♂️

Have City condemned the actions of their fans yet ? Anything of the damage in the stadium they caused ? Anything about the chants from their fans ?

And is Pep not also very animated on sideline and was he also not looking to wind up the ground as well ?‍♂️
Ahh, I must have missed it then when Pep got sent off for being abusive to the officials

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I’m sure City at some stage will stop trying to point the finger of full blame at others and look at the actions of their owns fan for once and also their own managers antics on the sideline

You’re being ironic?

Not at all ?‍♂️

Have City condemned the actions of their fans yet ? Anything of the damage in the stadium they caused ? Anything about the chants from their fans ?

And is Pep not also very animated on sideline and was he also not looking to wind up the ground as well ?‍♂️

I take it you missed the bit about about the Merseyside junior leagues cancelling football because of abuse of match officials last weekend Phil; the same weekend that Klopp manages to get himself sent off for... abusing the match official? The irony is off the scale.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...or-football-league-merseyside-cancel-25224016

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Tbf I agree with Klopp.

City and PSG do not operate in the same world as everyone else financially. Mbappe, Messi and Haaland's contracts being close to 1m a week, benches with more talent than full premier league sides etc.. its monumental money.

City self sustain better than PSG though, they do recruit players young and flog for profits after a while.

Newcastle aren't there yet - that'll be a slower build up.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Rumors that Wolves are triggering Michael Beales release clause at QPR to bring him in as their new manager.

This is embarrassing as a Villa fan. It was strongly rumored that Beale was the genius behind Gerrards success as a manager and that he led the majority of the sessions, stats obsessed etc - we lost him in summer and while we have rotted since, he's taken QPR up the table and already linked to a prem job...

About time we pull the trigger on the shambles that is Gerrard. He's not a top manager.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site

About time we pull the trigger on the shambles that is Gerrard. He's not a top manager.

As someone who grew up idolising him, and with more than 1 red shirt with "Gerrard 8" on the back, it's safe to say right now I have to agree wholeheartedly! Whatever it is atm that he's doing, it isn't working. Clearly, I would love him to be Liverpool manager one day, but only if he is good enough. if earns it. Currently, that looks a long way off!

D

Deleted member 15344

I take it you missed the bit about about the Merseyside junior leagues cancelling football because of abuse of match officials last weekend Phil; the same weekend that Klopp manages to get himself sent off for... abusing the match official? The irony is off the scale.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...or-football-league-merseyside-cancel-25224016

Sorry I’m not sure the connection to Liverpool FC in regards the junior matches being cancelled ?

Is the club supposed to be responsible for that as well ?

Klopp himself stated clearly he was wrong and was rightly red carded but if fingers are going to be pointed at managers actions causing junior football to have issues blimey there are going to be a lot of fingers pointed all over the sport and at every single team and indeed players for their actions over the years
Ahh, I must have missed it then when Pep got sent off for being abusive to the officials

Sorry I must have missed where it was said that Pep was sent off ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
As someone who grew up idolising him, and with more than 1 red shirt with "Gerrard 8" on the back, it's safe to say right now I have to agree wholeheartedly! Whatever it is atm that he's doing, it isn't working. Clearly, I would love him to be Liverpool manager one day, but only if he is good enough. if earns it. Currently, that looks a long way off!

I really hoped he would come in, raise the levels and lead us up the table. Taking Villa from 11th to around 7th/6th for a few seasons would justify his later move on to Liverpool - win for both parties really!

Instead what I'm seeing is the next Roy Keane - he just doesn't get why the players under his control aren't world class and scoring every week. Add to this the fact hes clearly got no plan B (not sure what plan A is tbf either) - on Sunday we had a brilliant forst half and were dominating despite going 1 down - at half time Potter made 2 changes, brought on Koulibaly and Azpilicueta (apologies for badly spelling their names) and we had nothing. He had no answer for the change in personnel - didn't make a sub until 70 mins by which time its too late.

Blokes dog... and needs to go

Swango1980

Visit site
Sorry I’m not sure the connection to Liverpool FC in regards the junior matches being cancelled ?

Is the club supposed to be responsible for that as well ?

Klopp himself stated clearly he was wrong and was rightly red carded but if figures aren’t going to be pointed at managers actions causing junior football to have issues blimey there are going to be a lot of fingers pointed all over the sport and at every single team and indeed players for their actions over the years

Sorry I must have missed where it was said that Pep was sent off ?
Ahh, so you effectively saying the actions of both managers are the same if they show any animation on the touchline? The fact one was given a red card doesn't matter, same thing in your mind.

We always hope people in high positions can be positive role models. You'd think the manager of Liverpool FC could at least set a reasonable example, especially when terrible things were reported in your own back yard with grass roots football. If you cannot consider Klopps actions as an absolute disgrace, then sadly some parents will think the same thing. They'll call it an emotional game. They'll excuse their anger because it was shown a referee did, in fact, make an error. And they'll scream and shout at a referee, just like Klopp. Sadly, some will go beyond that, especially as they've no cameras on them. If high profile managers like Klopp could restrain themselves, and do a better job at articulating their frustrations, then perhaps that would at least set a useful example to some? I wonder if parents at grass roots rugby matches show their frustrations in a similar way?

Of course, I don't expect you to see anything wrong with that. I always get the impression you are quick to pass your strong judgement on any negative headlines at other clubs, but often do not give the same "objective" view if the same were to happen at Liverpool. Of course, I expect a bit of bias from most, but yours seems to be off the charts, in my opinion.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nunez £85m
Van Dyk £76m
Alisson £56m
Keita £54m
Benteke £42
Fabinho £40m
Jota £40m
Salah £38m
Mane £37m
Firminho £37

Bless poor old Liverpool with their empty coffers, barely able to put a transfer together :rolleyes:

Somewhere out there, if you listen really hard, you will hear the world's tiniest violin playing :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 15344

Ahh, so you effectively saying the actions of both managers are the same if they show any animation on the touchline? The fact one was given a red card doesn't matter, same thing in your mind.

When did anyone say they were the same thing ?‍♂️

The simple point is that Guardiola is no angel on the sideline and his animations on the sidelines have included screaming at officials and winding up fans - just because he didn’t get carded for it doesn’t mean he doesn’t do it

We always hope people in high positions can be positive role models. You'd think the manager of Liverpool FC could at least set a reasonable example, especially when terrible things were reported in your own back yard with grass roots football. If you cannot consider Klopps actions as an absolute disgrace, then sadly some parents will think the same thing. They'll call it an emotional game. They'll excuse their anger because it was shown a referee did, in fact, make an error. And they'll scream and shout at a referee, just like Klopp. Sadly, some will go beyond that, especially as they've no cameras on them. If high profile managers like Klopp could restrain themselves, and do a better job at articulating their frustrations, then perhaps that would at least set a useful example to some? I wonder if parents at grass roots rugby matches show their frustrations in a similar way?

When has anyone said that Klopp wasn’t it the wrong ?! The man himself said he was wrong and went over the top and was rightly sent off ?

Are just ignoring that point ?

Not one single person has said what Klopp did was right - he was sent off because he went over the top shouting at the officials and he has owned that , no one has made any excuses for that and he will rightly get a touch line ban

Of course, I don't expect you to see anything wrong with that. I always get the impression you are quick to pass your strong judgement on any negative headlines at other clubs, but often do not give the same "objective" view if the same were to happen at Liverpool. Of course, I expect a bit of bias from most, but yours seems to be off the charts, in my opinion.
i think what you clearly display is a pre judged conceived idea of what you think people are saying

Maybe if you try to actually read what’s being said instead of trying to impress people with lots of paragraphs

So I’ll make it simple for you

Klopp red carded rightly , he was wrong and he said as much

Liverpool as a club condemned the fans who have been reported to have thrown coins at Guardiola and have stated they will ban people if they are found

Man City have so far been silent about their fan behaviour instead focusing on what Klopp said on Friday

Hopefully that’s nice and clear for you

D

Deleted member 15344

Nunez £85m
Van Dyk £76m
Alisson £56m
Keita £54m
Benteke £42
Fabinho £40m
Jota £40m
Salah £38m
Mane £37m
Firminho £37

Bless poor old Liverpool with their empty coffers, barely able to put a transfer together :rolleyes:

Somewhere out there, if you listen really hard, you will hear the world's tiniest violin playing :ROFLMAO:

All bought using finances earned by the club through selling players or using commercial income - zero money from the pockets of any owners own bank account.

Imagine not understanding the difference between clubs that self finance and clubs that rely on the bank of owner - which was exactly the point that was being made

Swango1980

Visit site
When did anyone say they were the same thing ?‍♂️

The simple point is that Guardiola is no angel on the sideline and his animations on the sidelines have included screaming at officials and winding up fans - just because he didn’t get carded for it doesn’t mean he doesn’t do it

When has anyone said that Klopp wasn’t it the wrong ?! The man himself said he was wrong and went over the top and was rightly sent off ?

Are just ignoring that point ?

Not one single person has said what Klopp did was right - he was sent off because he went over the top shouting at the officials and he has owned that , no one has made any excuses for that and he will rightly get a touch line ban

i think what you clearly display is a pre judged conceived idea of what you think people are saying

Maybe if you try to actually read what’s being said instead of trying to impress people with lots of paragraphs

So I’ll make it simple for you

Klopp red carded rightly , he was wrong and he said as much

Liverpool as a club condemned the fans who have been reported to have thrown coins at Guardiola and have stated they will ban people if they are found

Man City have so far been silent about their fan behaviour instead focusing on what Klopp said on Friday

Hopefully that’s nice and clear for you

So, you are simply using classic deflection techniques. So, when people raise these points, rather than saying "yes, I agree with your point", you try and find a way of making other managers / players / clubs / fans looking just as bad?

So, if someone raises the point about the irony of Klopp being sent off when Merseyside Youth Football was protesting aggression towards officials, you say "Sorry I’m not sure the connection to Liverpool FC in regards the junior matches being cancelled ? " . Your blinkers do not allow you to see any connection, but then you accuse others of not reading your comments properly.

If Klopp's behaviour is condemned after his sending off, you will say he should have been sent off (because defending him on that would be a tough sell, even for you), but you will quickly try and throw Pep under the same bus because he gets animated. I don't think anyone minds if people get animated, so who cares? But, there is clearly a line, and it is apparent Klopp crossed it, Pepe did not at the weekend. So, best focus on your own manager, than trying to tarnish others. If the reverse happened, I'd be critical of Pep, and I'd defend Klopp if others tried to say he effectively did the same thing as Pep

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
All bought using finances earned by the club through selling players or using commercial income - zero money from the pockets of any owners own bank account.

Imagine not understanding the difference between clubs that self finance and clubs that rely on the bank of owner - which was exactly the point that was being made
To all other teams it doesn't matter a jot. If you want to feel morally superior about it then crack on but to every club who can't dream of competing with the fees and salaries Liverpool pay out it is simply laughable that Liverpool are whining about a bigger kid in the play ground.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not at all ?‍♂️

Not that any of that had to do with the irony of your statement. It’s not two wrongs make a right.

Frankly, if my teams manager had been sent off and my teams fans had been hurling coins I‘d be winding my neck in, rather than giving it the big self-righteous “Why oh, Why can‘t teams control their fans and mangers?”

#LoveToTheFamily

Swango1980

Visit site
Not at all ?‍♂️

I wonder if this will be balanced by the damage to the Man City team bus as they left the ground (assuming it was done by Liverpool fans of course)? Perhaps they can just call it evens, although I'm not sure why City don't use armour plated buses with bullet proof glass when travelling to Anfield :)

D

Deleted member 15344

To all other teams it doesn't matter a jot. If you want to feel morally superior about it then crack on but to every club who can't dream of competing with the fees and salaries Liverpool pay out it is simply laughable that Liverpool are whining about a bigger kid in the play ground.

Missing the point massively but it’s expected

No one said anything about feeling morally superior

Klopp was asked what clubs have to do to catch and keep up with City and he said it clear as day - other clubs have to be near perfect with their buys and spending because every club bar a couple have a ceiling when it comes to spending

Most clubs when they buy a player they need them to work out they can’t afford to have players who fail because there isn’t a pit of money behind to just dip in again

City and some other clubs don’t have that issue - if a CB doesn’t work out , that’s ok just buy another one , same with any player , it doesn’t matter to them that they spent £100mil on Grealish for him then to spend most of the time sat on the bench and not given the impact paid for

But it’s not surprising that opposition fans just see it a crying about spending and that’s exactly what Klopp also said. Every single club bar a couple have a spending ceiling - it’s not unlimited - that was the point he was making - City were the only club that can swallow up the true cost of Haaland and as it goes by each year the Prem will just become a stroll for them each season and we have a Prem like the Bundasliga

Not that any of that had to do with the irony of your statement. It’s not two wrongs make a right.

Frankly, if my teams manager had been sent off and my teams fans had been hurling coins I‘d be winding my neck in, rather than giving it the big self-righteous “Why oh, Why can‘t teams control their fans and mangers?”

#LoveToTheFamily

Missing the point - one clubs reaction was to own what happened, the others was to look to blame the other club.

And these are fans actions from City that aren’t one offs - it’s every game the same vile stuff chanted from them and total silence from club and fans ?‍♂️

But as I said In a post earlier - one day I hope football fans will grow up and not
resort to throwing coins , flares , and vile chants

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Condemning something is not owning it, taking responsibility and taking action against the perpetrators is owning it. That applies to all clubs.

It’s disingenuous to suggest that either club is owning or not owning it. We all know the same behaviours by both sets of fans and managers will continue unchecked by either club. Will either manager be sanctioned by their club? Of course not.

Are Liverpool fans appalled by the sending off, no “it just passion”. Like it or not he is role model and to not see any correlation between role model behaviour and grassroots is truly unbelievable.

When you spend your time deflecting and trying to justify or sweep these behaviors under the carpet by saying “they done it first“ or “they’re worse than us”, you are just symptomatic of the problem.

We all know that some fans can be arses and if you are a fan you know which games they will let themselves, the club and you down & you should hate them for it. Most people would not try an propogate some some alternate narrative and try to paint them as having seized the moral high ground or being the victim.

You should be celebrating beating the one of the best sides in world football and moving into the top half off the league, which where you belong.

D

Deleted member 1740

Who likes losing?

However, your post suggests Man City have accused him of being xenophobic? In fairness, I have only read the BBC report. But, all it says were than senior Man City officials were unhappy with his comments. A journalist has obviously asked him if his comments were "borderline xenophobic", but I can't read anything that says Man City said this, and the journalist was simply repeating this accusation?

I suspect had Pep been sent off, and City fans had thrown objects at Klopp, you'd have been all over that :) . I'm sure nobody seriously thinks Klopp is xenophobic, and it is just the sort of rubbish that makes headlines for the media. He has become a bit of a prat though, in my opinion at least.

Re the Xenophobic comments, the City press have certainly been briefed from the City heirachy as there was a piece in the Times online with it in then an hour later it was removed from the same piece.

With the amount of CCTV around Anfield, Sky had numerous cameras and fans with their cameras out theres been no evidence of coins gettting thrown at Pep.

If it did happen then i'd expect Pep to have evidence of it happening, like the said coins.

If anyone has thrown anything at Pep or anyone else then i hope they're banned for life.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1740

I wonder if this will be balanced by the damage to the Man City team bus as they left the ground (assuming it was done by Liverpool fans of course)? Perhaps they can just call it evens, although I'm not sure why City don't use armour plated buses with bullet proof glass when travelling to Anfield :)

You obviously missed both LFC's official condemnation and Klopp's of the behaviour that evening.