The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I notice those Utd fans complaining about this cart horse or that cart horse they have, but no mention of the waste that is Ronaldo. He’s far to disruptive for any manager to come in and change things.
Long may it continue:)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I notice those Utd fans complaining about this cart horse or that cart horse they have, but no mention of the waste that is Ronaldo. He’s far to disruptive for any manager to come in and change things.

Never understood why they did not take him up on his offer to rip up his contract and walk. One less disruptive voice, one less problem for the manager and a massive chunk off the wage bill.

Swango1980

Visit site
Ronaldo was the only shining light, apart from DeGea, last year. Opinions on him were split, simply because the team were so bad. Some liked to pin a lot of the blame on Ronaldo. It is a stretch given none of us know how he is in the dressing room with other players. Personally, I'd prefer to pin the blame on the players who can't perform on the pitch. Especially big players like Bruno. I think he got it easy last year. Loads of people criticising Ronaldo while he bangs the goals in, whilst Bruno gets off extremely lightly for doing bog all,

However, I think you'll find there are a lot of Utd fans being critical of Ronaldo since last season. The fact that him (or his team) came out and said they wanted out, after Utd and ten Hag had already said they wanted him to stay, seemed like a massive let down. Not going on pre-season doesn't seem acceptable, the whole "family reasons" just sounds like an easy excuse. Him and others leaving a friendly match early is out of order.

You want your team to be a team. Give their all when they are on the pitch, fight for their team mates. And, when not on the pitch, support their team mates that are out there. Problem is, United really have no other decent striking options. We've got rid of so many players as well, and have big weaknesses in many other positions. We don't have a decent RB and no decent holding midfielders. The jury is out on centre backs, and our wingers have been awful. So, get rid of Ronaldo now, all United do is cause a huge problem in another position, with absolutely no confidence they'll be able to fix it in the short term.

Still, given that Ronaldo has said he wants to leave, I suspect if another big European club wanted him, there'd be a good chance they'd just let him go. But, it is sounding like none of the big clubs want him. I also believe that, even if he is still at Utd, he is still the sort of guy that is determined to play and score goals. So, while no one else wants him, we might as well make use of that attribute. Meanwhile, some long term planning will be needed, and ten Hag should be able to quickly see what players are lost causes

Swango1980

Visit site
Imagine thinking that having the best footballer of all time up front was 'the problem'. :LOL: I think there's quite a few problems, and I'm not sure I can believe that was the biggest one.
Yeah. The only way I can see Ronaldo being the problem, is that people say he is the problem so much that the other United players begin to believe it. They have a nice excuse for their own woeful performances, whilst Ronaldo gets most of the blame (on an individual basis). I can see that being incredibly frustrating for him as well. Basically playing with a bunch of useless players, who are effectively heaping all the negative press on him.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah. The only way I can see Ronaldo being the problem, is that people say he is the problem so much that the other United players begin to believe it. They have a nice excuse for their own woeful performances, whilst Ronaldo gets most of the blame (on an individual basis). I can see that being incredibly frustrating for him as well. Basically playing with a bunch of useless players, who are effectively heaping all the negative press on him.

Again, will start by saying that my football knowledge is limited at best so could be very wrong.

Was it not said befor the came back that Bruno and Ronaldo really did not like each other at all. After that, has Bruno just nosedived in his effort and quality of performance since Ronaldo came back. Is it possible that Ronaldo the player is not a problem but his impact on some other key players and even his perceived influence at the club could cause problems.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Again, will start by saying that my football knowledge is limited at best so could be very wrong.

Was it not said befor the came back that Bruno and Ronaldo really did not like each other at all. After that, has Bruno just nosedived in his effort and quality of performance since Ronaldo came back. Is it possible that Ronaldo the player is not a problem but his impact on some other key players and even his perceived influence at the club could cause problems.

They get paid an exceptional amount of money a week to play football. They should be able to deal with people they've issues with. It's no different to say the 2 people at work that I struggle with.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
They get paid an exceptional amount of money a week to play football. They should be able to deal with people they've issues with. It's no different to say the 2 people at work that I struggle with.

Sadly that exceptional amount of money also buys egos well above those found in the normal work place and the money attached to the players means that you cannot simply threaten people with dismissal if they do not work together. That makes it a far more tricky situation.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I would argue that's their problem, not his.

Swango1980

Visit site

I don't know what goes on in the dressing room. Who is it that tells us that Bruno and Ronaldo do not like each other? A reliable source?

There is some thought that because Bruno is not the star attraction at United, he can't accept that and his form has nosedived. If that was the case, he shouldn't be at any big club. It is not like he can remain at a big club, and not expect them to ever make any major signings whilst he is there. I never remember Scholes getting mardy when Utd bought the likes of Ronaldo or Rooney, worried they'd steel his limelight.

Even if Bruno and Ronaldo are not best mates, that is no excuse for Bruno. Roy Keane wasn't best mates with many of his team mates, and even got into a few fights with some at times (Keane versus Schmeichel for example). However, Keane and the players he didn't get on with still managed to play to a high standard.

I'd put all the other United players, not just Bruno, in that camp. If they genuinely have lost form because of Ronaldo, they shouldn't be at a big club. Whether that be because they've started to rely solely on him rather than take responsibility themselves, or if he is too demanding for them, either way they are not up to it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know what goes on in the dressing room. Who is it that tells us that Bruno and Ronaldo do not like each other? A reliable source?

There is some thought that because Bruno is not the star attraction at United, he can't accept that and his form has nosedived. If that was the case, he shouldn't be at any big club. It is not like he can remain at a big club, and not expect them to ever make any major signings whilst he is there. I never remember Scholes getting mardy when Utd bought the likes of Ronaldo or Rooney, worried they'd steel his limelight.

Even if Bruno and Ronaldo are not best mates, that is no excuse for Bruno. Roy Keane wasn't best mates with many of his team mates, and even got into a few fights with some at times (Keane versus Schmeichel for example). However, Keane and the players he didn't get on with still managed to play to a high standard.

I'd put all the other United players, not just Bruno, in that camp. If they genuinely have lost form because of Ronaldo, they shouldn't be at a big club. Whether that be because they've started to rely solely on him rather than take responsibility themselves, or if he is too demanding for them, either way they are not up to it.

Do not disagree with any of that at all. From a practical point of view, if there are issues and, again, I am only going from reports I hear on the radio, read on the news etc and could be totally false, then there was the opportunity offered for a solution to rip up the ocntact and let Ronaldo go. That would seem the cheapest and quickest opion whilst freeing up a chunk of salary for a new signing. May not be the right way to do things but if Ronaldo is not happy and there is friction with another player, it is the quickest solution.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Imagine thinking that having the best footballer of all time up front was 'the problem'. :LOL: I think there's quite a few problems, and I'm not sure I can believe that was the biggest one.
The issue isn't the quality of Ronaldo but the knock on impact of how he plays, how the rest of the team have to play around him. In effect, he has upset the balance of the side. He can knock in another 20 odd goals and the stats will look great. No use if it's a repeat of last season though.

Swango1980

Visit site
Would not disagree with that but whoever has the problem is irrelevant to the overall position in that it is a club problem and a team problem
The interesting test would be to see what would happen if we got rid of Ronaldo. Do people genuinely believe we'd quickly be a much better side, without him and all the same players we have now? Would Fred and McTomminay start to dominate the midfield area. Would the defence be solid. Would Bruno be the player he was when he joined the club, and Rashford play like Mbappe? Would Martial score 18+ goals?

If we got rid of Ronaldo, it would be nice to think United would become a much stronger side. Although, that also is scary in that, if United ever try to bring in another marquee signing, will the other players start huffing and getting back into the same pattern?

However, the big risk is that if we got rid of Ronaldo, the players that remain would still be absolute garbage, and they'd also no longer have a player that can score goals

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The interesting test would be to see what would happen if we got rid of Ronaldo. Do people genuinely believe we'd quickly be a much better side, without him and all the same players we have now? Would Fred and McTomminay start to dominate the midfield area. Would the defence be solid. Would Bruno be the player he was when he joined the club, and Rashford play like Mbappe? Would Martial score 18+ goals?

If we got rid of Ronaldo, it would be nice to think United would become a much stronger side. Although, that also is scary in that, if United ever try to bring in another marquee signing, will the other players start huffing and getting back into the same pattern?

However, the big risk is that if we got rid of Ronaldo, the players that remain would still be absolute garbage, and they'd also no longer have a player that can score goals

Actually, it is not impossible of you take the rugby team I support as an example. Tigers were relegation fodder for 2 years in a row then we got in a new coach and lost a couple of players who were potentially disruptive as they would not sign reduced contracts over covid. We finished 6th the next year and won the league the year after. Not saying that could happen in premier league football but a team playing for each other and the club without ego and disruptive influences can improve massively with that is ostensibly the same personnel.

Swango1980

Visit site
Actually, it is not impossible of you take the rugby team I support as an example. Tigers were relegation fodder for 2 years in a row then we got in a new coach and lost a couple of players who were potentially disruptive as they would not sign reduced contracts over covid. We finished 6th the next year and won the league the year after. Not saying that could happen in premier league football but a team playing for each other and the club without ego and disruptive influences can improve massively with that is ostensibly the same personnel.
There is no doubt that ten Hag needs to build a squad without disruption in the dressing room. But, it was never going to happen before his first competitive game in charge. And, we have already got rid of some many Senior players since last season, it really will take some time to rebuild. Shame on the club for allowing it to ever get to this situation, it has been building for years.

It was easier when Ferguson was in charge. He'd quickly get rid of a big player causing disruption, but knew he had so many other quality players with strong personalities to rely on. And, they would then add a marquee player every now and then to freshen things up. Ten Hag is not in that position, and it is only hope that the club will help him get to that position, but I still doubt them.