The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The issue isn't the quality of Ronaldo but the knock on impact of how he plays, how the rest of the team have to play around him. In effect, he has upset the balance of the side. He can knock in another 20 odd goals and the stats will look great. No use if it's a repeat of last season though.
I think the biggest problem is that the recruitment has been shocking, and that's nothing to do with Ronaldo. Spunking all the money on Maguire who is a mid-table defender at best. They still don't have a defensive midfielder after God knows how long. Rashford is not good enough but they've still hung onto him and not replaced him. If Ronaldo upsets the team it's largely because those other players are nowhere near the required quality to play with him. CR must be looking around thinking "is this really Man Utd?? It's not how I remember it at all." :LOL:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is no doubt that ten Hag needs to build a squad without disruption in the dressing room. But, it was never going to happen before his first competitive game in charge. And, we have already got rid of some many Senior players since last season, it really will take some time to rebuild. Shame on the club for allowing it to ever get to this situation, it has been building for years.

It was easier when Ferguson was in charge. He'd quickly get rid of a big player causing disruption, but knew he had so many other quality players with strong personalities to rely on. And, they would then add a marquee player every now and then to freshen things up. Ten Hag is not in that position, and it is only hope that the club will help him get to that position, but I still doubt them.

Again, from an outsider with only a passing interest, I can agree about the issues with the club. This De Ligt thing just baffles me. From the reports at the weekend, Barcelona have been told to sell him by the end of the week if they want to register their 5 new signings and they still cannot get it over the line. As it stands, both the the player and buying club have Barcelona over an absolute barrell and yet no deal can be made. Cannot see how De Ligt can stay at Barcelona now. If 5 players representing over £200million in investment including the new star striker are in the stands because they cannot be registered because De Ligt would not leave, the fans are going to make his life hell. I can only assume he is holding on for another club to step in, which would really reflect badly on United if he foes elsewhere.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
At what point do football authorities step in at Barca? Theyre now threatening previous board and a handful of players with legal action over their contracts signed a few years ago!!!!

https://theathletic.com/3484447/202...tract-legal-action/?source=emp_shared_article

They do seem to be too big to take any action against. They are asking players to take pay cuts and defer wages whilst outspending everyone on transfer fees, they have sold the family silvet to fund this, they cannot even register the players that they are signing and now this. Oh and are they not one of the clubs who would not recant their involvement in the super league and are still pushing for it. I just do not get it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the biggest problem is that the recruitment has been shocking, and that's nothing to do with Ronaldo. Spunking all the money on Maguire who is a mid-table defender at best. They still don't have a defensive midfielder after God knows how long. Rashford is not good enough but they've still hung onto him and not replaced him. If Ronaldo upsets the team it's largely because those other players are nowhere near the required quality to play with him. CR must be looking around thinking "is this really Man Utd?? It's not how I remember it at all." :LOL:
I agree that there are a range of issues at utd but they were actually progressing the year before Ronaldo arrived. Fernandes was excellent, Cavani was finally given a game and was scoring for fun. Old Ronaldo didn't fit what was required and his goals don't cover that, odd though that statement may seem, imo.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They do seem to be too big to take any action against. They are asking players to take pay cuts and defer wages whilst outspending everyone on transfer fees, they have sold the family silvet to fund this, they cannot even register the players that they are signing and now this. Oh and are they not one of the clubs who would not recant their involvement in the super league and are still pushing for it. I just do not get it.

Theyre now saying the deferred wage contracts were illegal and want them annulled and to revert to the previous contracts, whilst simultaneously threatening legal action on the players and the board at that time.

If it was a film script you'd say it had got too far fetched a long time ago............

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Theyre now saying the deferred wage contracts were illegal and want them annulled and to revert to the previous contracts, whilst simultaneously threatening legal action on the players and the board at that time.

If it was a film script you'd say it had got too far fetched a long time ago............

And this is even more bonkers as they need something to happen quick to register their new players but have come up with a solution that could take years. Plus, unless things are very different in Spain, the company (Club) is tied by the decisions of the board and as guilty of any illegality as the individuals.

God to add to that the way they are dealing with Chelsea. They brazenly waltz in and sign a defender on the verge of signing for Chelsea and they act shocked that Chelsea will not sell them 2 more of their defenders.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another "fun" story this morning on social media re Barca

Spanish radio are claiming Barcelona jointly set-up a holdings company to which it paid €150m of its own money to buy its own assets (to inflate value of sale). La Liga rejected it as not "new" money. Barça must now pay €37.5m tax on this payment.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just as we were talking about Utd recruitment, they've apparently signed Rabiot. Again, he's not really a defensive midfielder which they need. Just another Fred if anything?

Swango1980

Visit site
Again, from an outsider with only a passing interest, I can agree about the issues with the club. This De Ligt thing just baffles me. From the reports at the weekend, Barcelona have been told to sell him by the end of the week if they want to register their 5 new signings and they still cannot get it over the line. As it stands, both the the player and buying club have Barcelona over an absolute barrell and yet no deal can be made. Cannot see how De Ligt can stay at Barcelona now. If 5 players representing over £200million in investment including the new star striker are in the stands because they cannot be registered because De Ligt would not leave, the fans are going to make his life hell. I can only assume he is holding on for another club to step in, which would really reflect badly on United if he foes elsewhere.
We'll replace De Ligt with De Jong. What is going on at Barcelona is bizarre. The longer it goes on, the more I realise it can't have anything to do with him absolutely not wanting to go to United. It seems he and Barcelona are playing chicken to see who blinks first about this money owed.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
We'll replace De Ligt with De Jong. What is going on at Barcelona is bizarre. The longer it goes on, the more I realise it can't have anything to do with him absolutely not wanting to go to United. It seems he and Barcelona are playing chicken to see who blinks first about this money owed.

It is quite fascinating in a car crash TV sort of way. Cannot see any winners in this if he does not leave. I suspect that Barcelona have either figuratively or literally spent the transfer fee so cannot agree to a large chunk of it going to the player in wages.

Swango1980

Visit site
I agree that there are a range of issues at utd but they were actually progressing the year before Ronaldo arrived. Fernandes was excellent, Cavani was finally given a game and was scoring for fun. Old Ronaldo didn't fit what was required and his goals don't cover that, odd though that statement may seem, imo.
We also need to remember that during that season, Liverpool were woeful compared to how they had been playing, and played the following seasons. Chelsea were not great, Spurs finished 7th and Arsenal 8th (despite winning at least their last 5 games). Even City started badly, but then had a fantastic second half of the season. So, with a few months before the end of the season, United were never really in it and there was no pressure. Even Ole was giving the players excuses, talking about it being a building process, so there was no expectation put on them. It was also a season United went behind a ridiculous amount of times, and probably played as we do now in pretty much every first half. However, somehow they managed to turn it around so often, and got a win. Yes, credit to them for that, and opposition probably had a bit of the fear how United could play in the second half. But, that was never sustainable, and if we continued to start so slowly out of the blocks, and stop turning it around, then confidence would drop and we'd end up a mess. Which has happened.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just as we were talking about Utd recruitment, they've apparently signed Rabiot. Again, he's not really a defensive midfielder which they need. Just another Fred if anything?
From a football point of view, he must be better than Fred?

Not seen him play much, however wiki says "despite his talent and ability, however, he has come under criticism over his behaviour off the pitch, and has also been accused in the media of lacking professionalism, as well as having a poor attitude and a difficult character".

If that is true, make sense United are trying to sign him :(

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
From a football point of view, he must be better than Fred?

Not seen him play much, however wiki says "despite his talent and ability, however, he has come under criticism over his behaviour off the pitch, and has also been accused in the media of lacking professionalism, as well as having a poor attitude and a difficult character".

If that is true, make sense United are trying to sign him :(
Honestly not seen him play a lot, I don't watch Juve or PSG where he was before. He's definitely taller than Fred so he has that going for him. I just meant the position he plays is basically Fred's - box-to-box, left-footed. I don't believe he's a defensive midfielder anyway so can't see him improving the team much.

Swango1980

Visit site
Honestly not seen him play a lot, I don't watch Juve or PSG where he was before. He's definitely taller than Fred so he has that going for him. I just meant the position he plays is basically Fred's - box-to-box, left-footed. I don't believe he's a defensive midfielder anyway so can't see him improving the team much.
I'd like to think he could improve the team, if he played instead of Fred.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
We’ve got massive problems at Utd bigger than I can ever remember.
Ten Hag is not the answer,he never was and never will be.
The powers that be need to recognise managing Utd is different,it’s beyond 99% of managers in the game today.
Massive changing room egos need controlling.
I’ve been a massive advocate of bringing Ronaldo in being a good decision,now holding the club to ransom is unforgivable.
Now he’s going nowhere he needs to play as a 9 pure and simple.
The names being linked with Utd are embarrassing.
Not being able attract some of the players available,and that have been purchased,shows how far we’ve fallen and how C/L qualifying is crucial.
Forget this year for that.
It’s going to be a long season,a hard season and imo another trophy less season.
Ten Hag will go one way or another,and whoever comes in ,in the future imo needs to be massive.
I would go Poch with what he’s done in the Premiership
Would welcome Simeone as he would certainly shake it up,although not keen on his teams antics.
Or even Zidane as he’s used to big egos.
Other than them the talent and availability is limited.