The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rumours that Raphinha and Lewandowski cannot be registed as Barcelona players unless De Jong leaves or takes a pay cut (how likely is that if the rumours that they already owe £17million pounds in wages are true).

Firstly, how can this happen.

Secondly, why would you sign for a club until you know that there is room in their salary allowances to actually register you.

Thirdly, how strong does that make De Jong's bargaining position. He wants to go to Chelsea I read but they will not pay as much as United. Well, how can Barca turn that down if they need him to leave to register their big new signings. Guessing he can pretty much demand where he goes or the board at Barcelona will need to explain to fans why their £50million signings are sat in the stands.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Listened to a great podcast yesterday about life as a manager in the lower leagues. The producers followed Paul Warne (Rotherham United) and Karl Robinson (Oxford United) for 3 months at the end of last season and had them miked up during team talks, matches etc. Only listened to the first 3 (out of 10) but it is a good insight into the life of a lower league manager and what stresses they face. Especially good for me as I follow Rotherham and know what they have gone through in the past 10-20 years or so.
Thoroughly recommend, even if you don't support either team.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Listened to a great podcast yesterday about life as a manager in the lower leagues. The producers followed Paul Warne (Rotherham United) and Karl Robinson (Oxford United) for 3 months at the end of last season and had them miked up during team talks, matches etc. Only listened to the first 3 (out of 10) but it is a good insight into the life of a lower league manager and what stresses they face. Especially good for me as I follow Rotherham and know what they have gone through in the past 10-20 years or so.
Thoroughly recommend, even if you don't support either team.
this sounds great, where can I find it?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our only striker is out for a month and we loaned his understudy before replacing him. Absolute shambles of a club at the moment.
It does feel as though all of the progress you have made in recent years is starting to seep away. I think it could get a little sticky this season if you are not careful.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m rapidly tiring of this transfer window. To say the “Will he, won’t he?” sagas involving both de Jong and Ronaldo are becoming annoying is an understatement and then some. I just wish United would get their business done.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m rapidly tiring of this transfer window. To say the “Will he, won’t he?” sagas involving both de Jong and Ronaldo are becoming annoying is an understatement and then some. I just wish United would get their business done.

Consequently, this has been the most enjoyable transfer window in years for me. ?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It does feel as though all of the progress you have made in recent years is starting to seep away. I think it could get a little sticky this season if you are not careful.

Yeah I agree. Feels like the owners have either lost interest or are content in thinking there's three worse clubs. That kind of thinking gets clubs relegated.

Billysboots

Visit site
Consequently, this has been the most enjoyable transfer window in years for me. ?

If you’re so excited by the snails pace at which United do their business in the transfer market, surely you love every summer! It’s the same every year, and I find it utterly tedious.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You need someone in the club to develop a backbone and move Ronaldo on and forget about de Jong. Neither want to be at the club so why prolong both cases? It happens at clubs during some windows and you either end up with an unhappy player in the dressing room or a rushed plan d player at the end of the window (we can do a deal on Aug 30th for Alex Iwobi if you like ?)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been a great window for us. Normally in the same boat as Levy waits until it's too late to get any deals done and suddenly on deadline day the prices to up. This is the first time I can remember us getting business done early!

Swango1980

Visit site
You need someone in the club to develop a backbone and move Ronaldo on and forget about de Jong. Neither want to be at the club so why prolong both cases? It happens at clubs during some windows and you either end up with an unhappy player in the dressing room or a rushed plan d player at the end of the window (we can do a deal on Aug 30th for Alex Iwobi if you like ?)
They need to sort Ronaldo asap.

However, I don't know what to believe with De Jong. I'd have thought even the most moronic person would have given up signing him by now, if he genuinely didn't want to go to Utd? However, this whole mess with his wages seems to be a driving factor. Behind closed doors, he might well have said he'd be more than happy to play at Utd under Ten Hag, but Barcelona are being cretins and refusing to give him what he is owed, so he is trying to force their hand knowing they need to sell. Publicly, however, I can see why he announces he wishes to remain in Barcelona. It means Barcelona fans remain onside with him, and it is only the club officials he is annoying.

Billysboots

Visit site

Agree on every point with the exception of Iwobi ?

My views on Ronaldo are well known but, to paraphrase, thanks for the great memories but he is not United’s future, and wasn’t when he signed last summer. If he wants out, get rid, and do it soon. The last thing the new manager needs is a stroppy relic of the club’s past moping around the place.

And I agree with Swango as regards de Jong. There is much more to that than is being drip fed for public consumption, and United would not be pursuing any interest in a player who has zero interest in joining them. They simply wouldn’t.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been a great window for us. Normally in the same boat as Levy waits until it's too late to get any deals done and suddenly on deadline day the prices to up. This is the first time I can remember us getting business done early!

Spence will be a great long term investment for you if he’s developed correctly.
Although Conte’s answer to the question when he was asked made it sound like it was a club decision and not his choice. Hopefully that’s not the case and/or it doesn’t hamper him. He’s a real talent.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
And I agree with Swango as regards de Jong. There is much more to that than is being drip fed for public consumption, and United would not be pursuing any interest in a player who has zero interest in joining them. They simply wouldn’t.
Are you 100% confident about that? Really?

He may not have zero interest in joining but just how much interest does he have? I know the money side is complicated on this but even so..........

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I think its been a great window for us (west ham) aswell.

Great to secure our keeper full time.
Good CB signed (shame hes already injured)
Decent young back up midfielder
now a decent striker who PSG tried to sign late on but he was committed on coming to us.. seems to tick all the boxes.. very impressed so far.
goals last season
Screenshot_20220727-210109.png

few more positions required.. defo need a LB.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think its been a great window for us (west ham) aswell.

Great to secure our keeper full time.
Good CB signed (shame hes already injured)
Decent young back up midfielder
now a decent striker who PSG tried to sign late on but he was committed on coming to us.. seems to tick all the boxes.. very impressed so far.
goals last season
View attachment 43624

few more positions required.. defo need a LB.
The difference is, people have heard of the players we signed. :D