The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is actually a really good point - and something I hadn't even considered (which is weird as I've always been a goalkeeper by trade - can't do anything with a ball at my feet :D).
Long range goals posted on social media always have armchair blokes saying the keeper was crap. It is a bugbear of mine that they don't use common sense and think the keeper is 5'10 and the ball has dipped under the bar, what chance did they have?

Swango1980

Visit site
Tell that to the media - I saw a post last night saying Ellen White has scored more tournament goals than Shearer. What a worthless comparison. That's like saying Mitrovic scored more goals than Salah. As you say, constantly trying to hold it up against the men's game isn't helpful at all.
True. L. Hemp scored 3 more goals against Latvia alone last November, than Andy Cole scored in his entire England career

I don't know if this comes across as condescending at all, but I generally cut them a bit of slack since they play in the exact same size goals, but the average height of a goalkeeper must only be 5'10 or 5'11 compared to the men's keeper average which must be up around 6'3 you'd think. Any well-struck high dipping effort is likely to give them a problem really.

That is partly a reason, along with any general physical differences between men and women. Also, how many females grow up playing football as children compared to males? I'd say it is significantly fewer. Therefore, as a male there is more competition for spaces at elite level, and thus you are going to have to be extremely good to make it. There may be many potentially amazing female goalkeepers out there, but who never actually played the sport to reveal that talent. Lastly, the investment into coaching in the mens game must be significantly higher than the womens game, all the way down to grass roots level.

I'm sure tournaments such as this will really help promote the ladies game, and so the overall standard should get better and better over time. However, as I said in my last post, I thought the quality shown by England last night was fantastic.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
True. L. Hemp scored 3 more goals against Latvia alone last November, than Andy Cole scored in his entire England career

That is partly a reason, along with any general physical differences between men and women. Also, how many females grow up playing football as children compared to males? I'd say it is significantly fewer. Therefore, as a male there is more competition for spaces at elite level, and thus you are going to have to be extremely good to make it. There may be many potentially amazing female goalkeepers out there, but who never actually played the sport to reveal that talent. Lastly, the investment into coaching in the mens game must be significantly higher than the womens game, all the way down to grass roots level.

I'm sure tournaments such as this will really help promote the ladies game, and so the overall standard should get better and better over time. However, as I said in my last post, I thought the quality shown by England last night was fantastic.

It’s all a numbers game. For example. My daughter will be playing U15s next season. There are 18 teams making up 2 leagues. To get that has required 2 counties joining together.

Whereas the boys have 110 teams from one County FA.

Despite the disparity in numbers. There are girls at every age group that technically run rings round most of the boys, but once they hit puberty the boys start to separate physically and the girls struggle to compete.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Unfortunately it's this type of viewpoint which will stop the women's game growing and younger girls being encouraged to take up the sport and strive to become professional athletes (if they so wish). If more people gave it a chance (and didn't compare it to the men's game all the time) - the game would continue to grow and grow.

I don’t disagree, but I cannot help feeling that desperately one-sided games, especially when they actually involve two sides which are supposed to be very closely matched, do a tournament no favours at all.

I’m not comparing it to the mens game, by the way - I have similarly minimal interest in watching our men’s side batter the likes of Andorra or San Marino, either. Whatever it is, it’s not sport.

Swango1980

Visit site
33 minutes in, and Man Utd are 3-0 up against Liverpool. Goals by Sancho, Fred and Martial. I think this shows that Man Utd are finally better than Liverpool, and probably the best club side in the world going into next season ;)

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t disagree, but I cannot help feeling that desperately one-sided games, especially when they actually involve two sides which are supposed to be very closely matched, do a tournament no favours at all.

I’m not comparing it to the mens game, by the way - I have similarly minimal interest in watching our men’s side batter the likes of Andorra or San Marino, either. Whatever it is, it’s not sport.
Of course its sport. How can the developing nations improve if they're not pitted against the stronger ones?
As for the Women's game,
it's the future don't ya know. ??

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
How can the developing nations improve if they're not pitted against the stronger ones?

They would develop far faster if the weaker nations played each other more regularly, rather than get humped 10-0 by the bigger nations. I mean...how on earth can you develop tactics and strategies (both as a player and as a coach) if you only have maybe 10% possession in a match?

This is why (in my opinion) the mens Nations League actually has some benefits for the weaker nations...they actually gain more possession against similar strength opposition, so can work on their game, more ball time will help improve technique, thought processes, passing skills, even morale....going in to a game with the sole intention of keeping the score down to 5 or 6 goals isn't good for anyones development.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
They would develop far faster if the weaker nations played each other more regularly, rather than get humped 10-0 by the bigger nations. I mean...how on earth can you develop tactics and strategies (both as a player and as a coach) if you only have maybe 10% possession in a match?

This is why (in my opinion) the mens Nations League actually has some benefits for the weaker nations...they actually gain more possession against similar strength opposition, so can work on their game, more ball time will help improve technique, thought processes, passing skills, even morale....going in to a game with the sole intention of keeping the score down to 5 or 6 goals isn't good for anyones development.
I do get what you're saying, my point is that in any sport you want to be up against the better player/team to improve your own game.
Aside from the obvious top team against bottom, they have to be stretched and learn how to lose. Otherwise it could be like being at school: we don't want Johnny to lose - everybody gets a prize situation.
How else can they toughen up and compete? I suppose your answer might be your suggestion of the men's Nation league, which is a good point. ?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I do get what you're saying, my point is that in any sport you want to be up against the better player/team to improve your own game.
Aside from the obvious top team against bottom, they have to be stretched and learn how to lose. Otherwise it could be like being at school: we don't want Johnny to lose - everybody gets a prize situation.
How else can they toughen up and compete? I suppose your answer might be your suggestion of the men's Nation league, which is a good point. ?

I don't disagree about learning to lose....I just don't see that value in losing 10-0 every week and having 10% possession, in terms of helping a team or a teams coach develop.

Billysboots

Visit site

But surely the one sided thumpings are something which should be confined to qualifying. If they are still happening at tournament finals then it is a little farcical. Representative of a sport which is perhaps trying to run before it can walk.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
But surely the one sided thumpings are something which should be confined to qualifying. If they are still happening at tournament finals then it is a little farcical. Representative of a sport which is perhaps trying to run before it can walk.

To a greater extent the one sided thumpings are confined to qualifying. The 2019 Women's World Cup only saw 4 games with a 4 or 5 goal margin in the group stages, and one with a 13 goal margin where the best team in the World (USA) crucified Thailand, who were, frankly, hapless.

Swango1980

Visit site
Are you not reading too much into one result? Thumpings happen at all levels of football, and even great teams get hammered from time to time. There have been big results in PL, but it didn't make the PL farcical.

Norway are only 3 ranking positions off England, so they are not supposedly a world apart in terms of quality. Everything just went perfect for England on the night, not so much for Norway.

How else could the organisers try and avoid such results? Only permit the top 8 teams to play, and assume Ranks 9 and worse are not able to compete?

Billysboots

Visit site
Are you not reading too much into one result? Thumpings happen at all levels of football, and even great teams get hammered from time to time. There have been big results in PL, but it didn't make the PL farcical.

Norway are only 3 ranking positions off England, so they are not supposedly a world apart in terms of quality. Everything just went perfect for England on the night, not so much for Norway.

How else could the organisers try and avoid such results? Only permit the top 8 teams to play, and assume Ranks 9 and worse are not able to compete?

Possibly. Possibly not. Certainly the England fans leaving the game who were interviewed by Sky Sports seemed to be reading an awful lot into it.