The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

4LEX

Visit site
Cheered City on like they were my own tonight.

Justice done and once against Simeone exposed for the bankrupt man's Mourinho he is. He would be a huge failure in England as the refs wouldn't put up with his nonsense. The Premier league is too fast and intense for him. Best off in Italy.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Theyre a fantastic side, they will always create chances. It's what they do.

I get your point but if the defence drops 5-10yards then the midfield and attackers have to do the same. Then game plan changes and we're too far in for that.

Keep it as it is, take the bumps in the road.

Keep it 90% of the time just not 100% of the time.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm really pleased for City tonight. They dug deep in the 2nd half against a horrible Athletico team who were upto their usual tricks. Athletico were pathetic and Simone an embarrassment.

D

Deleted member 1740

Athletico game now a shocking mess. Referee has absolutely lost it. Any time wasted for the Athletico player not leaving the pitch after getting a red should NOT be added on.

I'd love it if Simeone went to Liverpool after Klopp :). So easy to despise his teams

I'd worry about your own team given the shite they've served up this season.?

D

Deleted member 1740

I was at the game so never seen all the City game but they showed the highlights in the pub afterwards.

Its always great when a team is beaten by their own tricks. Having been on the end of the masters of the dark arts, i'm content how City have matched them and dumped them out.

Athleti are a superb side, with plenty of quality right throughout them. I said earlier on this season that as much as i admire Simeone, he should be serving up much better football with the squad available than he currently does. They overuse the dark arts.

Lets hope its a repeat of the 1981 European Cup Final.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Athletico game now a shocking mess. Referee has absolutely lost it. Any time wasted for the Athletico player not leaving the pitch after getting a red should NOT be added on.

I'd love it if Simeone went to Liverpool after Klopp :). So easy to despise his teams

It was only a couple of days ago that I was accused of being a liar because I said I wouldn't want Simeone at United even if he won us the league.
I think my views are now clearly and obviously understood after Atletico's latest display.

Apology accepted!

Swango1980

Visit site
It was only a couple of days ago that I was accused of being a liar because I said I wouldn't want Simeone at United even if he won us the league.
I think my views are now clearly and obviously understood after Atletico's latest display.

Apology accepted!
I think everyone understood your point of view, except perhaps one or two individuals. But, I guess some people seek glory over and beyond having a team that plays entertaining football and gets respect from other fans. Could call them glory hunters :)

I wouldn't want him at United either.

D

Deleted member 15344

Apology accepted!

Still in the belief that if trophies were being lift - league titles , CL then fans wouldn’t care who the manager is or the tactics used

Man Utd fans didn’t care when Ferguson players used the dark arts when needed and didn’t exactly carry themselves well and had zero morals at times

Swango1980

Visit site
Still in the belief that if trophies were being lift - league titles , CL then fans wouldn’t care who the manager is or the tactics used

Man Utd fans didn’t care when Ferguson players used the dark arts when needed and didn’t exactly carry themselves well and had zero morals at times
What are you implying? Are you saying that Ferguson and his United team were in the same mould as Simeone and Athletico? Or, are you trying to highlight indivudual games / periods, where United where not on their best form and had to use a change of tactics?

Seems like a very selective memory you have.

In Ferguson's tenure at Man Utd, I seem to remember one or 2 games in which United played fantastically, dominated the game and scored a good number of goals. And, when I say one or two, I of course mean several hundred.

D

Deleted member 15344

What are you implying? Are you saying that Ferguson and his United team were in the same mould as Simeone and Athletico? Or, are you trying to highlight indivudual games / periods, where United where not on their best form and had to use a change of tactics?

Seems like a very selective memory you have.

In Ferguson's tenure at Man Utd, I seem to remember one or 2 games in which United played fantastically, dominated the game and scored a good number of goals. And, when I say one or two, I of course mean several hundred.

Memory is fine ?

So you don’t think Man Utd ever used spoiling tactics , surrounding them odd referee, had players who went to get people , had a manager on the sideline who was no saint in the way he acted during the game towards the officials and opponents.

Man Utd we’re far from perfect and I bet you didn’t give a monkeys as long as the result was what was needed.

It’s a results business at the end of the day and the manager will set up the team to get the result using the players at his disposal

Atletico aren’t going to go at City because that’s just going to allow City to play to their strengths so they are going to try and spoil the game and it nearly worked for them

But don’t pretend that Man Utd were this all flowing football team that did everything by the book

Swango1980

Visit site

You mean like Chelsea fans and their "support" of Benitez after winning the Europa League. Or United (or Real Madrid) fans "support" of Mourinho. What about Valverde at Barcelona.

When you express your opinion, it is only done from your own point of view. And, if you are happy to win at any price, then that is your entitlement. But, don't assume you know how other fans feel. It is clear many fans do not simply support any manager as long as they bring some sort of success. Maybe some Man Utd fans would like Simeone, but I'm pretty sure most would hate it. I'd also imagine most Liverpool fans would also hate it, assuming Klopp was leaving.

D

Deleted member 15344

You mean like Chelsea fans and their "support" of Benitez after winning the Europa League. Or United (or Real Madrid) fans "support" of Mourinho. What about Valverde at Barcelona.

When you express your opinion, it is only done from your own point of view. And, if you are happy to win at any price, then that is your entitlement. But, don't assume you know how other fans feel. It is clear many fans do not simply support any manager as long as they bring some sort of success. Maybe some Man Utd fans would like Simeone, but I'm pretty sure most would hate it. I'd also imagine most Liverpool fans would also hate it, assuming Klopp was leaving.

The same Man Utd fans who celebrated winning every single one of those trophies won under Mourinho or Chelsea fans under Benitez

Unless you are going to suggest that people didn’t celebrate winning the trophies ?

Maybe it’s because it’s been a while but is that not what fans want to see - the club winning trophies.

If Simeone took over from Klopp and we won the league and CL - the fans would be singing his name

Swango1980

Visit site
Memory is fine ?

So you don’t think Man Utd ever used spoiling tactics , surrounding them odd referee, had players who went to get people , had a manager on the sideline who was no saint in the way he acted during the game towards the officials and opponents.

Man Utd we’re far from perfect and I bet you didn’t give a monkeys as long as the result was what was needed.

It’s a results business at the end of the day and the manager will set up the team to get the result using the players at his disposal

Atletico aren’t going to go at City because that’s just going to allow City to play to their strengths so they are going to try and spoil the game and it nearly worked for them

But don’t pretend that Man Utd were this all flowing football team that did everything by the book
What you are blissfully ignoring, is that is the only thing Athletico are known for. That is it. If that is all United did in Ferguson's tenure, I wouldn't have enjoyed it. However, all in all, they played entertaining and attacking football. Some games were more physical than others, which I do not mind, and players at times crossed the line. Not just United players, but the opponents as well. Emotions ran high. All of that is normal. It is passion, and teams wanting to beat their rivals.

However, if that is pretty much all you have. If that is you primary tactic, then it becomes tedious and frustrating. I would not enjoy that as a fan at all.

Swango1980

Visit site
The same Man Utd fans who celebrated winning every single one of those trophies won under Mourinho or Chelsea fans under Benitez

Unless you are going to suggest that people didn’t celebrate winning the trophies ?

Maybe it’s because it’s been a while but is that not what fans want to see - the club winning trophies.

If Simeone took over from Klopp and we won the league and CL - the fans would be singing his name

You are confused about the fans support of their club and the support of their manager. Of course fans will celebrate their club winning a trophy, and of course some will support the manager (or hope the manager will adapt to the way they want their club run). Of course, you are ignoring the fact that many of the fans still didn't fancy Mourinho or Benitez the following day, or quickly lost support after the following game where the result did not go their way or the team were boring). If a manager had proper support, fans would stick by them even after a run of poor performances.

But, if you are happy to have Simeone after Klopp, I hope Liverpool help that dream come true :)

D

Deleted member 15344

What you are blissfully ignoring, is that is the only thing Athletico are known for. That is it. If that is all United did in Ferguson's tenure, I wouldn't have enjoyed it. However, all in all, they played entertaining and attacking football. Some games were more physical than others, which I do not mind, and players at times crossed the line. Not just United players, but the opponents as well. Emotions ran high. All of that is normal. It is passion, and teams wanting to beat their rivals.

However, if that is pretty much all you have. If that is you primary tactic, then it becomes tedious and frustrating. I would not enjoy that as a fan at all.
Really?

They weren’t like that against us when they knocked out two seasons ago , seen them a number of times and they don’t always play like that at all - they will play the opposition

So no they aren’t always like that at all.

They have won two league titles recently , won a couple of cups and done well in the CL but adjusting what’s needed for opposition

Maybes it’s because they knocked out Utd and made it difficult for City that people in England are crying about their tactics

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Trying asking that in a pub round Stamford Bridge and then mention Benitez's name Phil; you can tell us how you got on if you get out alive. The man was, and is, absolutely despised despite the Europa League win. Sarri is not greatly thought of despite the 2019 win; tolerated might be the best description.

That's in marked contrast to other former players & managers who always get a great reception when they return, and not necessarily winning ones; one of the best receptions is always reserved for Claudio Ranieri. If you doubt it, watch the guard of honour given to Leicester City at Stamford Bridge in their Premiership winning season.