The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
My issue is VAR is getting involved with subjective calls. Now unless it's a howler VAR shouldn't be getting involved. The ref had a perfect view of the incident and waved play on. Subjective. That should've been the end of it.

White made a bad foul on Jota in the 1st half and the ref never carded him. It was as clear a card possible, the ref decided to warn him. Again subjective.

Look at the CL games last week, I forgot VAR existed because there was barely any interuption from it.

Today its gone against us, tomorrow it'll be someone else. Irrespective of who it goes against, is this really how we want to see the game going?
Do you agree that in the past bigger teams got run of the green with more than their fair share of subjective decisions?

if the pen wasn’t given, it would Have been another one of those, “they even themselves out over the course of a season Calls“except they don’t Imo.

Irrespective of our thoughts on whether it was a pen or not, this thread and the discussion about it shows that it clearly wasn’t an obvious decision imo. Of course if we had a trained ref on here who could clear it up. That may help ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you agree that in the past bigger teams got run of the green with more than their fair share of subjective decisions?

if the pen wasn’t given, it would Have been another one of those, “they even themselves out over the course of a season Calls“except they don’t Imo.

Irrespective of our thoughts on whether it was a pen or not, this thread and the discussion about it shows that it clearly wasn’t an obvious decision imo. Of course if we had a trained ref on here who could clear it up. That may help ;)

do you believe they are even now? i know fans of "non big 6" clubs (esp Wham lol) who still think theyre not

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
VAR isn't here to stay by any means. It was brought in to correct mistakes and all it's done is transfer the mistake chain from the ref to some nomark in a studio. If anything it makes the mistakes even worse as someone has looked at it 10 times and still made a mistake! Let's get the fans back in and they can protest through fair means and foul over some of this nonsense.

It should be for offsides and off the ball incidents only. For pens the ref should be in the right position to judge, if he isn't he's not good enough or fit enough. Sick of seeing a goal go in and then players waiting around for a VAR review. Totally kills the game. The refs are losing their bottle and relying on VAR. Anyone that goes to games knows a good ref or a bad ref by how much they look to the linesman for back up. A good ref is in the right place and knows what he's seen, a bad one is playing catch up and looking to the lines for reassurance constantly.

The refs should be put through much tougher fitness programmes, it's absurd to see fat middle aged men trying to keep up with 20 year olds.

Have you seen the regime they have to pass?

Plus If there is a swift counter with like 2 mid range passes, Usain Bolt ain't keeping up with play properly.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
do you believe they are even now? i know fans of "non big 6" clubs (esp Wham lol) who still think theyre not

I can only go with Saints decisons, as other teams decisons don't really stick with me the next day.

But imo yes. Things are much better now. I can't really recall any decision where I haven't been able to at least think to myself that I can see their pov even if I don't fully agree with it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can only go with Saints decisons, as other teams decisons don't really stick with me the next day.

But imo yes. Things are much better now. I can't really recall any decision where I haven't been able to at least think to myself that I can see their pov even if I don't fully agree with it.

weve finally found the fan fully happy with var :) cheeers

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
White Rose tinted. Yes ?

But regardless of that it should be a pen.

And regardless of that we should be well in front.

you should definitely be in front, danger of last week against us repeating itself if youre not careful. at least youre playing some decent football

ps still never a penalty :)

D

Deleted member 18588

Sorry mate, I disagree, take the Wilson case the other week, he admitted he couldn’t reach the ball and deliberately put his foot between Gomes and ball, both incidents were identical in contact, ie, completely accidental, yet you’re writing them both off as careless.
Why do you persist with the use of the word "accidental"?

It is completely irrelevant.

Robertson made an effort to play the ball but failed and instead made contact with the player.

It is a foul, whatever you think about his intent, and thus quite rightly a penalty.

Many fouls are as a result of a genuine attempt to play the ball that failed.

D

Deleted member 1740

No.

If the pen wasn't given, it wouldn't even be mentioned, that's how soft it was.

Again, it wasn't that blatant.

He should host a live Q&A webinar?

I just can't wait for the reaction on here when Mane goes down like Welbeck did next week and he gets a pen??

4LEX

Visit site
Have you seen the regime they have to pass?

Plus If there is a swift counter with like 2 mid range passes, Usain Bolt ain't keeping up with play properly.

I have and it's really poor. Yes a quick counter with swift passing is always going to be tough but that's why they should be so much fitter. Madley and Coote failed the fitness test as recently as this year.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most of us on here have watched footy for years .
But the rules and interpretation of them have changed that much that I am not sure what’s a foul anymore.
I would say the ref didn’t think it was a foul on Wellbeck.
But in slow motion it does look like a foul. But players don’t play in slow motion.
It’s putting me off watching football and has done for a while.
The difference in opinions seems to back up that ,no one is sure of the rules as they are set for some latitude to justify the VAR decisions.
They need to admit it’s not working and bin it next season.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Most of us on here have watched footy for years .
But the rules and interpretation of them have changed that much that I am not sure what’s a foul anymore.
I would say the ref didn’t think it was a foul on Wellbeck.
But in slow motion it does look like a foul. But players don’t play in slow motion.
It’s putting me off watching football and has done for a while.
The difference in opinions seems to back up that ,no one is sure of the rules as they are set for some latitude to justify the VAR decisions.
They need to admit it’s not working and bin it next season.
If he doesn’t think that’s a foul then he needs to be re-educated.