The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hes taken a full blooded swing to clear the ball and is a fraction late and caught the man.

It's a penalty all day long.

Maybe it was, but is that the point?

You have a former ref arguing it wasn’t, so how can it be a clear and obvious decision to overturn it?

I don’t know the rules
I’m guessing the average fella doesn’t know the rules
It seems clear to me the officials don’t know the rules

We’re all aguin like divvies whilst the balloonhead/s who made them up is nowhere to be seen or more importantly, heard

Var will clear all the arguments up they said ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is never a penalty in a million years, Robertson goes to clear the ball and Wellbeck gets there first.

Absolutely no intent and no way Robertson could avoid the contact, an accidental coming together, no more, no less.

Anyone believing that’s a penalty needs to give their head a shake.

It's not a case of him putting a foot in to touch the ball and the feet make contact.

Hes taken a full swing and a miss at the ball and caught the man.

Couldn't be simpler. The ref took one look at the screen and made his mind up.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Its a pen for me.

Anywhere else you take a swipe at the ball amd miss it and connect with a player then a foul is given.
Whether it was clear enough that var should have got involved is another matter.

D

Deleted member 1740

It's not a case of him putting a foot in to touch the ball and the feet make contact.

He had a great view and seen it in real time. The ref in the bunker has said go and have a look at the monitor, surely that has put some doubt in his mind.

Everything in slow motion looks worse.

D

Deleted member 16999

Where’s the intent, you’ve said yourself he was playing the ball, ie, it was an accident, a simple coming together, he never mistimed his swing, without Welbecks touch that ball is row Z.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1740

The ball doesn't even have to be there, he's absolutely wellied him in the foot man! If you push someone over in the box and they don't have the ball it's a penalty. Where have you got this idea that he needs to be in full control of the ball?? I didn't think it was a penalty until you see the replay and he boots Welbeck's foot. Good use of VAR this time, and a definite pen.

Wellied him??

Yeah alright ??

D

Deleted member 16999

Its a pen for me.

Anywhere else you take a swipe at the ball amd miss it and connect with a player then a foul is given.
Whether it was clear enough that var should have got involved is another matter.
I’d agree if Welbeck or any opposition player is between the one swinging and the ball, in this case, Wellbeck isn’t, he’s to the side, the only way there is contact is by Welbeck sticking his leg out.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Where’s the intent, you’ve said yourself he was playing the ball, ie, it was an accident, a simple coming together, he never mistimed his swing, without Wellbecks touch that ball is row Z.

If a keeper slides out at a striker and the striker nips the ball away and gets clattered it's a pen. If the striker doesn't touch the ball then as long as the keeper claims it, he can clatter the player too.

Same principle for the clearance imo. I'm not sure intent has to be present. Although I do recall Stevie G years ago (sheff Utd I believe) getting a pen when a player intended to foul him and missed ??

I’d agree if Wellbeck or any opposition player is between the one swinging and the ball, in this case, Wellbeck isn’t, he’s to the side, the only way there is contact is by Wellbeck sticking his leg out.

Yeah, but Wellbeck sticks his leg out and wins the ball.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Where’s the intent, you’ve said yourself he was playing the ball, ie, it was an accident, a simple coming together, he never mistimed his swing, without Wellbecks touch that ball is row Z.

He intended to boot the ball. Welbeck moves the ball away and gets clattered.

He intended to boot the ball. Failed
Mistimes his challenge.

It's at best careless but a foul none the less.

D

Deleted member 16999

If a keeper slides out at a striker and the striker nips the ball away and gets clattered it's a pen. If the striker doesn't touch the ball then as long as the keeper claims it, he can clatter the player too.

Same principle for the clearance imo. I'm not sure intent has to be present. Although I do recall Stevie G years ago (sheff Utd I believe) getting a pen when a player intended to foul him and missed ??
Depends on how the keeper “slides out” surely? If he’s sliding along the grass out of control then yes.

For that to be a pen for me, Robertson would have to be aware he had a chance of kicking Wellbeck full on, nobody commits a foul by kicking the underneath of a foot.

Every player that loses a 50/50 ball should now be given a foul against them if that’s a pen.

D

Deleted member 16999

He intended to boot the ball. Welbeck moves the ball away and gets clattered.

He intended to boot the ball. Failed
Mistimes his challenge.

It's at best careless but a foul none the less.
It wasn’t mistimed, Welbeck came in from the side quicker, as for clattered! Please, he caught the underneath of his boot.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Depends on how the keeper “slides out” surely? If he’s sliding along the grass out of control then yes.

For that to be a pen for me, Robertson would have to be aware he had a chance of kicking Wellbeck full on, nobody commits a foul by kicking the underneath of a foot.

Every player that loses a 50/50 ball should now be given a foul against them if that’s a pen.

Pretty much everytime a player loses a 50/50 and makes Contact with the opponent they do.

Tbf I don't think I've ever seen a keeper connect with a striker (having not got the ball) and it not be giving as a pen.

D

Deleted member 16999

Pretty much everytime a player loses a 50/50 and makes Contact with the opponent they do.

Tbf I don't think I've ever seen a keeper connect with a striker (having not got the ball) and it not be giving as a pen.
Pickford;)

In all seriousness you really can’t compare a keeper going head on at a player against that this afternoon, Welbeck got there a fraction quicker than Robertson and their boots made contact, absolute no more, no less, just a coming together.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Pickford;)

In all seriousness you really can’t compare a keeper going head on at a player against that this afternoon, Welbeck got there a fraction quicker than Robertson and their boots made contact, absolute no more, no less, just a coming together.
Time to move as as we clearerly disagree.

But as Dave said. That's VAR's fault as it was meant to stop all this ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's the fools using the technology that's the problem.

The standard of refereeing across the PL is generally awful. Until that improves nothing will change.

Rules actually arent clear, especially those that have been changed/adjusted over the last few years, refs are totally inconsistent, var is just magnifying these problems and compounded by the actions/comments from tv, players, managers etc when someone like KDB openly admits he doesnt know the rules anymore in an interview

Basically its a shitshow currently and theres little chance of getting better anytime soon

D

Deleted member 18588

It wasn’t mistimed, Welbeck came in from the side quicker, as for clattered! Please, he caught the underneath of his boot.
Which is a foul and, therefore, a penalty.

Doesn't have to be intent.

D

Deleted member 15344

The main issue I have is the clear and obvious part, the ref saw it and decided it wasn’t a penalty based on his assessment of the situation. The VAR checks it - if it’s clear and obvious they should then just say - you got it wrong it’s a penalty but as soon as they say go to screen they add some level of doubt. If the ref has given it then there is no issues at all because you could see why.

The talk from the start was that the match wouldn’t be refereed by the VAR ref and he is there only for clear and obvious errors by the referee - no either that’s gone and they just now do everything or the VAR are taking matters into their own hands

Either way the addition of VAR is killing the enjoyment of the game