The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

My understanding of a foul is impeding a player taking a shot, making a pass etc. Welbeck isn't in control of the ball and is going away from the ball, never a pen.

D

Deleted member 16999

My understanding of a foul is impeding a player taking a shot, making a pass etc. Welbeck isn't in control of the ball and is going away from the ball, never a pen.
Said this the other week in the Newcastle v Everton game the other week when Gomes kicked Wilson’s foot to give them a pen, made even worse after the match when Wilson laughed and admitted he put his foot between Gomes and the ball on purpose to “win” the penalty!

D

Deleted member 1740

Was the challenge by White(?) on Jota a foul that led to the disallowed Mane goal?

Yes. he's won the ball then took the man, we see these fouls given in every single game. Not that it makes a difference to the Brighton pen like.

D

Deleted member 1740

Said this the other week in the Newcastle v Everton game the other week when Gomes kicked Wilson’s foot to give them a pen, made even worse after the match when Wilson laughed and admitted he put his foot between Gomes and the ball on purpose to “win” the penalty!

Poor.

Do we really want football going down this road?

Crouch and Cole saying its a pen proves the myth that ex players would make good refs.

D

Deleted member 16999

Poor.

Do we really want football going down this road?

Crouch and Cole saying its a pen proves the myth that ex players would make good refs.
That’s because 99% of players, ex-players, managers, coaches etc, see no problem in a player “winning” a penalty for their team.

Not many neutral fans care when it isn’t in their game either.

Until managers condemn their own players (very unlikely to happen) or retrospective action is taken, nothing will change.

Remember when Niasse and Lanzini got retrospective bans for diving? They were over 3 years ago and not one other PL player has been done since then!

D

Deleted member 1740

Hes taken a full blooded swing to clear the ball and is a fraction late and caught the man.

It's a penalty all day long.

Just because he's caught him doesn't make it a foul. Contact yes, not a foul.

He's behind the ball by some way, over stretching and had lost control of the ball.

D

Deleted member 1740

That’s because 99% of players, ex-players, managers, coaches etc, see no problem in a player “winning” a penalty for their team.

Until managers condemn their own players (very unlikely to happen) or retrospective action is taken, nothing will change.

Remember when Niasse and Lanzini got retrospective bans for diving? They were over 3 years ago and not one other PL player has been done since then!

If they retrospectively banned players for diving there'd be no football.

Like the 6seconds rule for keepers and moving the free kicks 10yards for dissent.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
contact now seems to = a foul, its garbage. see players scratched on their shin, arch the back, tuck the chin in and make like a salmon heading up stream as if thats the natural response to minor contact

sadly the authorities players, commentators and pretty much everyone in football is happy to endorse this view when it suits them and only complain when it goes against them (add in a lot of fans here too), not to mention praising players for going down/winning free kicks/pens

fully expect a proportion of top sides training sessions currently are spent on "winning" penalties

time for some proper rules enforcement and retrospective punishment for cheating - i can but dream haha

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If they retrospectively banned players for diving there'd be no football.

Like the 6seconds rule for keepers and moving the free kicks 10yards for dissent.

theyd soon change if they kept getting penalised, rather than accepting it and it becoming endemic within the sport as it sadly has done

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Hes taken a full blooded swing to clear the ball and is a fraction late and caught the man.

It's a penalty all day long.
Completely agree. If it was up the other end on Mane I'd have been screaming for it. Easy decision for me.

If it were up the other end there would be a lot more criticism of the way welbeck went down, however!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Whilst the decision was correct for both being banned for diving it's always the lesser clubs and never the elite punished which say Salah got done for diving (just an example before I get jumped on) so high profile it would make people take note

When I did my referee training many years ago they wanted us to clamp down on grassroots football swearing. The ref running the course was on the money when he said the easiest way to enforce it is take a player like Rooney and ban him. He does it weekly on camera but the premier League don't have the guts to red card him. If he was sent off it would filter down through the league's but no they wanted to treat the symptoms not the cause of issues (not Rooney but players at the top)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just because he's caught him doesn't make it a foul. Contact yes, not a foul.

He's behind the ball by some way, over stretching and had lost control of the ball.
The ball doesn't even have to be there, he's absolutely wellied him in the foot man! If you push someone over in the box and they don't have the ball it's a penalty. Where have you got this idea that he needs to be in full control of the ball?? I didn't think it was a penalty until you see the replay and he boots Welbeck's foot. Good use of VAR this time, and a definite pen.

D

Deleted member 16999

This is never a penalty in a million years, Robertson goes to clear the ball and Welbeck gets there first.

Absolutely no intent and no way Robertson could avoid the contact, an accidental coming together, no more, no less.

Anyone believing that’s a penalty needs to give their head a shake.

Last edited by a moderator: