The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

He could of dived like an Olympic gymnast for me mate and it was still not a penalty imo.

Honestly, if that’s a penalty I well and truly give up and I have defended VAR on here plenty of times.
There we differ.

I have and will never defend VAR as I abhor its introduction.

Footballers and football fans should IMO grow up and accept referees' decisions.

Refs in general make fewer mistakes than players yet we endlessly hear them being slaughtered for their errors.

The striker that balloons it over the bar or the keeper who chucks one in escapes such criticism.

Why? I am often told that the players don't do it on purpose; well guess what, neither do the officials.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There we differ.

Footballers and football fans should IMO grow up and accept referees' decisions.

Refs in general make fewer mistakes than players yet we endlessly hear them being slaughtered for their errors.

The striker that balloons it over the bar or the keeper who chucks one in escapes such criticism.

Why? I am often told that the players don't do it on purpose; well guess what, neither do the officials.
Thing is if players do it to much they get dropped.
VAR cocks up every week????

D

Deleted member 1740

There we differ.

Those who complained most for VAR were in the media,ex players and armchair fans.

Sky sports news showing 756 different angles of a foul/handball/offside in slow mo growing the agenda.

VAR is sucking the emotion out of football, it plays a huge part in the game. Celebrating goals is one of the best feelings, now I'm sitting here waiting for VAR to confirm it. By the time is done that emotion has gone.

D

Deleted member 1740

Still get paid don't they and refs are assessed.

They can be dropped down the lists which will reduce their income.

That rarely happens, that's why we've still got Stuart Atwell refereeing, 10yrs after the ghost goal and he's still rubbish.

D

Deleted member 16999

There we differ.

Unfortunately mate, I’ve defended the Officials on numerous occassions, every part of the game needs addressing.

Genuinely not sure if you saw this incident live, but there was no reason to question the Referee, the idiot in Stockley Park and his 20 angles and slow mo etc has caused this. You know enough about football, watch it if you get a chance and you’ll see the Ref’s positioning etc was just about spot on!

D

Deleted member 18588

That rarely happens, that's why we've still got Stuart Atwell refereeing, 10yrs after the ghost goal and he's still rubbish.
And there are still players in the PL who were poor years ago and continue to be so.

If players were as perfect as some expect refs to be then there would be no open goals missed, all tackles would be successful etc;

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still get paid don't they and refs are assessed.

They can be dropped down the lists which will reduce their income.
I didn’t mean the refs I meant VAR .
I can accept a ref making a mistake .
But to actually prove himself wrong by using slow mo
That’s the difference between them and players making mistakes .
Players only get one go in real time
Refs get another go in slow motion to prove they got it wrong in real time.
Most fans accept refs make mistakes,
But the VAR decisions are just another refs opinion.

D

Deleted member 1740

And there are still players in the PL who were poor years ago and continue to be so.

If players were as perfect as some expect refs to be then there would be no open goals missed, all tackles would be successful etc;

Thats upto the managers of the players putting up with those players. You can't accept sub standard refereeing just because there's sub standard players.

A ref will never please everyone and get every decision correct, its impossible.

I think there's plenty of refs who haven't improved and are still consistently rubbish. We rarely see new refs being promoted.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Because its not a pen. Do you think it was a pen?

I think its a subjective one and many things surround the decision, but can understand if it would have been given under normal circumstances.

Are you saying that you wouldnt have appealed for that if it was for us, at the ground?

D

Deleted member 1740

I think its a subjective one and many things surround the decision, but can understand if it would have been given under normal circumstances.

Are you saying that you wouldnt have appealed for that if it was for us, at the ground?

Be careful of those splinters.....I knew you'd ask for it, because you're a hard faced get ??

100% Not a chance am I appealing for that. The ref had a clear view and played on.

I agree its subjective but the context in the incident,He (robbo) never impeded Welbeck. He'd lost control of the ball, was overstretching, it was behind him and was never in a position for a shot/pass etc.

Considering them sort of incidents happen often we won't see many more pens given for the rest of the season.

D

Deleted member 1740

Actuallly Liverpool had the highest home penalty ratio in the 90/00's. It's only since Ole came in has Man Utd's ratio gone up through the roof.

How many were given against Liverpool compared to Yernited in that time?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Be careful of those splinters.....I knew you'd ask for it, because you're a hard faced get ??

100% Not a chance am I appealing for that. The ref had a clear view and played on.

I agree its subjective but the context in the incident,He (robbo) never impeded Welbeck. He'd lost control of the ball, was overstretching, it was behind him and was never in a position for a shot/pass etc.

Considering them sort of incidents happen often we won't see many more pens given for the rest of the season.

As I said, not a cast iron, dead obvious one and it was also a glancing blow and was probably only given as was seen in slow-mo, but a 51% pen. :D

Maybe slow-mo shouldnt be used for fouls, just for ones to see if a ball was in play, out of play, pen was in the box or outside, but not for the contacts, especially if living up to the "clear and obvious" mantra.

As shown on MOTD, did you think the west ham one on Mo was?