The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
This is needed more than anything these days. Every time play stops. So does the clock. Time wasting and faking injury would stop instantly.

I'm not sure it would, at least entirely. I think a lot of the time "faking injury" is done to disturb the rhythm and momentum of the opposition, or to simply have a rest and regroup. Also, faking injury is done to try and influence the ref's decision in punishing the opponent, although that is separate to the time wasting issue.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Strong reports that Watford are going to appoint Roy Hodgson as manager. A change in tack from their past appointments. A pragmatic manager who could stabilise things there. Are Watford fans happy to trade a bit of excitement for staying up?

Swango1980

Visit site
Just had a look at the Premier League winter break. No games now until Saturday 5th Feb. One game that weekend only, the highly anticipated match of Burnley v Watford (sorry Burnley and Watford fans). So, the Premier League is truly getting a winter break. Does it not make a mockery of managers moaning about the number of matches they have to play? Before winter breaks, managers would often moan they needed one, so players could have a good rest. Yet, now they have one, they moan about the number of matches they have to play, especially over Xmas (perhaps they wouldn't have such a congested schedule had they been able to play a game or 2 over the next 2 weeks).

Also, how many teams will be using this rest period to fly around the globe to play football in other countries?

I know they tried this a few years ago, but staggered it so that there'd be 5 games one weekend, and 5 games the next. I wonder why they didn't try that again?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just had a look at the Premier League winter break. No games now until Saturday 5th Feb. One game that weekend only, the highly anticipated match of Burnley v Watford (sorry Burnley and Watford fans). So, the Premier League is truly getting a winter break. Does it not make a mockery of managers moaning about the number of matches they have to play? Before winter breaks, managers would often moan they needed one, so players could have a good rest. Yet, now they have one, they moan about the number of matches they have to play, especially over Xmas (perhaps they wouldn't have such a congested schedule had they been able to play a game or 2 over the next 2 weeks).

Also, how many teams will be using this rest period to fly around the globe to play football in other countries?

I know they tried this a few years ago, but staggered it so that there'd be 5 games one weekend, and 5 games the next. I wonder why they didn't try that again?
I have a great way to reduce the amount of games, and how to spread the games out a bit throughout the season - It involves freeing up a few midweek dates throughout the season by reducing the number of European games. Get rid of all the group games, make it 1 leg only (they can do it for the domestic competitions) and stop rewarding poor teams by dropping them into the cup below for even more games.
Bet the clubs don't even consider this idea

Swango1980

Visit site
I have a great way to reduce the amount of games, and how to spread the games out a bit throughout the season - It involves freeing up a few midweek dates throughout the season by reducing the number of European games. Get rid of all the group games, make it 1 leg only (they can do it for the domestic competitions) and stop rewarding poor teams by dropping them into the cup below for even more games.
The Champions League certainly felt a more exciting competition when ONLY the champions from each league qualified. But, we know that clubs want as much money as they possibly can, whilst pleaing to have less games so the players can rest. Sounds very much like they want their cake and then eat it. I mean, it is that ridiculous now, they have a Europa Conference League.

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s FA Cup 4th round weekend as well, plenty of PL Teams will be playing.

Your next fixture is actually 4th!

D

Deleted member 15344

They won’t consider it because of the level of money given to the clubs from the sponsers

Many of the competitions are vastly different to what they were 30 years ago

The sport is different , the players are , that genie left a long time ago - all those top class players that make the game and sport exciting go where the money is

It will always come down to opinions on if the game is better now than it was before - the level of play on the pitch is certainly different

And a lot of the issues are driven by the Telly companies and competitions

D

Deleted member 1740

Strong reports that Watford are going to appoint Roy Hodgson as manager. A change in tack from their past appointments. A pragmatic manager who could stabilise things there. Are Watford fans happy to trade a bit of excitement for staying up?

Exactly what Everton need.

D

Deleted member 1740

I did wonder which of you would crack first on that :LOL:. It was a bit of an open goal.

It's a while since we had a Big Sam picture if anyone wants to post one :eek:

I thought about suggesting it last week but i was otherwise engaged. I did suggest it in one of the chats im in?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They won’t consider it because of the level of money given to the clubs from the sponsers

Many of the competitions are vastly different to what they were 30 years ago

The sport is different , the players are , that genie left a long time ago - all those top class players that make the game and sport exciting go where the money is

It will always come down to opinions on if the game is better now than it was before - the level of play on the pitch is certainly different

And a lot of the issues are driven by the Telly companies and competitions
I agree the game is different form what it was 30 years ago, but does that mean it is actually better? Just because (some) clubs are richer doesn't mean all are. Clubs like Derby are on the brink of disappearing because they are chasing the impossible dream of European football, others are flexing the financial rules as much as they can to do the same. Match tickets, kits, merch, etc is getting out of reach for most normal fans whilst payers get paid obscene amounts of money. You could even make an argument that on of the reasons that VAR was introduced to ensure the money goes ot the right teams without the lower teams getting the lucky break or dodgy decision :unsure:

Greed isn't always good

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought about suggesting it last week but i was otherwise engaged. I did suggest it in one of the chats im in?
I've got a phone full of Whatsapp pictures of Agent Rafa and Sam in the last few weeks sent by caring relatives. Sadly we have no comeback right now. It is a time to just sit and take it :cry:

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree the game is different form what it was 30 years ago, but does that mean it is actually better? Just because (some) clubs are richer doesn't mean all are. Clubs like Derby are on the brink of disappearing because they are chasing the impossible dream of European football, others are flexing the financial rules as much as they can to do the same. Match tickets, kits, merch, etc is getting out of reach for most normal fans whilst payers get paid obscene amounts of money. You could even make an argument that on of the reasons that VAR was introduced to ensure the money goes ot the right teams without the lower teams getting the lucky break or dodgy decision :unsure:

Greed isn't always good

That’s what happened when the Prem started , the clubs like Derby etc didn’t mind the money when they were getting it

But there is a huge financial gap between the Prem and the EFL - the clubs aren’t going to give the money up because they need it to pay the players who know the riches are there to be grabbed

You’re not saying anything that people don’t know - but what’s the alternative , the horse has well and truely bolted.

Right now Liverpool for example work within a budget of the money they earned , for some that’s not enough , they want to see the club spending more on players , they want to see the club giving Salah his £500k a week , they don’t care about wage budgets and clubs in debt because they see some clubs just spend way beyond what they earn but clever accounting etc covers it all up - one club managed to make huge profits during Covid unbelievably

There are lots of fingers to be pointed - clubs , Telly companies , fans , players

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Greed isn't always good

It has definitely changed and not for the better. There will be another Wimbledon coming from non-league to the top table and winning an FA cup along the way. Lets not forget they weren't a one or two season wonder either. Some sides got into Europe but Leeds in particular paid a heavy price for chasing that dream. It isn't even the top league. Even as far down as League 2 and the Conference, replica shirts are becoming more and more expensive and lots of clubs are putting up prices each season as well as price rises on food, drink and programmes making even supporting your local team a financial burden in these austere times.

The problem is the whole of the European big sides are at it in terms of trying to chase the big money and manipulating the rules to suit their needs and there is no pulling that big in unless you get buy in from Fifa and Uefa and as there are busy with their noses in the financial trough themselves that is not going to happen. The rich will keep on getting rich, the less well off will compete in the bottom 6 of the PL and simply try to avoid relegation. Clubs like my own will yo-yo and exist off parachute payments making them the dominant force in the championship.