The First Time You Hit the Green on a Par 3

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
130 yards is a simple 8 iron... my standard layup plan starts around 170 yards carry, depending on the risk. As part of my game plan I need to have a good reason to take on shots over 180 yards.

Have you watched the golfsidekick youtube channel? If so is your approach broadly similar?

They sound similar, and when combined with a good short game, yields results.

Out of interest, do you have stats for the distribution of your scores? What I'm getting at is whether you have evidence to show that your approach actually does give rise to more consistent scoring.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There was a girl in our local paper, who had a first group golf lesson at Moor Park, and holed out her first real golf shot for a 1. She should have given up then and there. Probably did.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I laid up on the 4th at The Grove once. Off the back tee, I thought I would take the little stream out of play.
Nope, duffed my chip straight in.
Never again.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you watched the golfsidekick youtube channel?

Out of interest, do you have stats for the distribution of your scores?

Yes I have seen the GS stuff but have been using my game plan since way before then. It is similar but theirs is probably better overall.

I don’t think I have enough rounds played on full 18s to back up my claim.

Since 2019 I have played just 7 full 18 rounds, as I play so infrequently I try to play to the rules and always hole out. Best score is +13 gross, worst is +17 gross. The rest fall somewhere in between but +14 seems common.

Around the par 3 I managed 12 rounds in a row of +3 for 9 or better over the summer and the start of this last lockdown.

I just can’t validate it other than I have fun, break 90 and want to keep coming back!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I have seen the GS stuff but have been using my game plan since way before then. It is similar but theirs is probably better overall.

I don’t think I have enough rounds played on full 18s to back up my claim.

Since 2019 I have played just 7 full 18 rounds, as I play so infrequently I try to play to the rules and always hole out. Best score is +13 gross, worst is +17 gross. The rest fall somewhere in between but +14 seems common.

Around the par 3 I managed 12 rounds in a row of +3 for 9 or better over the summer and the start of this last lockdown.

I just can’t validate it other than I have fun, break 90 and want to keep coming back!

Thanks - the golf sidekick thing is all about enjoying golf. Losing balls and playing horrible shots is not fun. Sounds like this approach is working for you, which is all that matters.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I played all of my early golf on a Par 3 course, so one of the holes on that course. I loved that course it had the tiniest greens which were protected by very small embankments covered with rough and completely encircling the green, which meant hit it, or you are chipping.

The land is still there, but it is overgrown and used as grazing for horses. But if you look down on it from an adjacent bridge you can still make out some of the holes and the greens.