The First Time You Hit the Green on a Par 3

D

Deleted Member 1156

I agree, my game plan will have the effect of changing my score distribution and therefore affect both ends of the bell curve.

In other words I won’t shoot really bad scores but I won’t shoot amazing ones either.
That's an interesting way of looking at it. I don't know any other golfers that tee off looking to shoot 80-85 every round when they are capable of shooting 75 but each to their own I guess.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
First time on the course, had signed up for beginners group lessons and after 6 or 7 weeks, the pro said he would take us out on the course for an hour to play a few holes. On the second hole I hit my 7 iron to about 10 foot, then rolled in the putt for a birdie.

I thought this game is easy. I think I have birdied that hole a grand total of twice since then, in 4 years and approximately 200 rounds!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have absolutely no idea. How on earth would you remember that?? I can barely remember the courses and holes I started playing on let alone the first time I hit a green on a par 3.

D

Deleted member 1147

Hows that different from just going for it and missing the green?
I understand that if you can’t reach, and your max distance puts you in bunkers, water or deep rough, that you’d lay up short of them.
But if not, I’d have thought the best option is to get as close as possible.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It depends on where you're able to leave it.
If the reason you don't go for it is water in front which, with your Sunday best, you might clear then the sensible play is to lay up.
Getting close may leave you a delicate flop over a bunker but by leaving the ball 80 yards away you may, for your ability, have an easier shot it.
There's so many variables - Fragger's previous course has a 240 yard par 3.
Slice your driver and you could be blocked out behind trees
Hook it and you're OB
There's a big lay up area about 70 odd yards short - which is where the majority of the membership play for.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Horses for courses isn't it

I’ll lay up on a par 3 (if the ‘go for the green’ shot isn’t going to have a high % of success) I did this on a couple of courses last weekend

Decent par 3's have protection/risk factor, whether its bunkers, water, wind or something else. So if the shot is long enough or risky enough that I’d be forced into hitting longer clubs just to make the green then laying up to give a safe(r) chip-on, will often lead to a lower score

Just to keep on topic, I cant remember my first par 3 in reg

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My first par was on a par-3, the 9th at Tyrrells Wood. Missed the green but chipped and hit the stick. Once I found out that was allowed, tap-in for a par. Shot 60 for nine holes. Last time I was there, I shot 70 for the entire round.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can’t get my head around laying up on a Par 3

I used to do that playing off a low single figure handicap.
My old course had a burn close to the r/h green with a diagonal bunker covering half of the L/h green
It was 195 yards so the shot for the pin was generally a drawn 2 /3 iron or a cut 4 wood.
I would sometimes play a 4 iron to the approach knowing I would not reach bunker or burn, especially in match play if my opponent was in the poo.

Even at the wee short hole at Augusta the world's best players will sometimes avoid playing for the pin.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have absolutely no idea. How on earth would you remember that?? I can barely remember the courses and holes I started playing on let alone the first time I hit a green on a par 3.
I know scary.
I must have been 7 years old.
7 shillings and sixpence for a child's season ticket spent most of the summers on the beach or golf course. Boy caddy from aged 10 for the same fee per round as my season ticket....happy days.

Now if 4 items of shopping are required I have to write them down.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I honestly have no idea but I would say either at Allerton or Bowring golf club as that's where my Dad used to go with me and my brothers due to the paucity of municipals near to us at the time.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Depends on the hole. I don’t understand the fuss tbh, it’s my golf game and I enjoy it. I think it’s well know I play conservative golf and I just made a bit of a jab at myself in my first post.
Laying up on a 130yd par 3 could definitely be classed as conservative.
In fact, the word "conservative" was invented just for it
????

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Laying up on a 130yd par 3 could definitely be classed as conservative.
In fact, the word "conservative" was invented just for it
????

130 yards is a simple 8 iron... my standard layup plan starts around 170 yards carry, depending on the risk. As part of my game plan I need to have a good reason to take on shots over 180 yards.