the first competion

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hadn't planned on playing any matches in my first year. My target was to break the 100 and managed that last month, though just the once!

Anyway, the society at work had it's last outing on Monday so I thought, why not at least they could get the giggles over before next season (are we really talking of that so soon!) Stableford in the morning, 9-hole Texas in the afternoon.

I was partnered with an 8, 19, 24 and they gave me 25 (never played with any of them and had only met one before). I wasn't last, erratic but not last and when the drives went well I was easily up with the 8 (it's the ones in between that really let me down!).

The Texas I loved, same guys and we ended up even. Really chuffed as I managed the best drive of the day (of the four of us) on a hole I'd made a real dogs breakfast of in the morning.

Can't wait for the next season to start!

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed your first competition. Get the practise in over the winter and who knows you could be in the prizes early in the new season.

calc07

Hacker
Visit site
i hate competitions now ha i finally got to where i wanna be and i play the game well but as soon as i get on the white tees i brick it, and it aint coz of nerves or performing because i play rgby in front of crowds so that doesnt bther me, i jus dunno wha it is ha!! but well done in ur scramble comp and practice now and next yr ull be in the prizes !!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think the big "issue" (not the magazine) with white tees is that everything looks narrower from a few yards back of where you normally strike the ball, dont forget to always tee up on the best side of the box which points you away from trouble.
example: straight away fairway on a par 4 but has lots of trees and a river on the left, tee up on the left as this will help you aim down the middle-right side and make you less inclined to hook and or hit it towards trouble.

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do none of you play off whites when practicing? i have played off them every time since i got a handicap, playing off the forward tees is like playing a different course!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do none of you play off whites when practicing? i have played off them every time since i got a handicap, playing off the forward tees is like playing a different course!

OOhh, listen to you....

On a lot of courses it's not the done thing to play off the whites. I have however cheekily asked to play off the whites at a few choice courses and often they let you.

Dave

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oh ok didnt realise that at some courses you arent supposed to play off whites, because at mine there seems to be a very relaxed attitude towards it.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
My home course is one of the few I know which allow both members and visitors to play off whichever tees they want, as a matter of course. It's generally not the done thing to play off the "medal" tees, Lloydy, although if you're a visitor with a decent handicap and you ask politely then you're often allowed.

cosworth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
whats the point in restricting what tees you play off.
didnt realise this but what an absolute load of tosh of a rule.
im sure this game was inventid by someone who's got their head firmly up their backside.
flipping let people play golf i say