The Brabazon on a saturday afternoon

Newtonuti

Visit site
Teed off on The Brabazon on 3pm, Saturday. Now I've played slow rounds of golf before, but jesus christ! 3 or 4 groups of people waiting on each tee box, with the 10th being absolutely beyond a joke. No marshal's anywhere and absolutely nobody seemed to care. We were going to just walk off on the 14th, but one of the lads persuaded us other three to just finish. If we'd actually paid for the round, we'd of been demanding either a free round, or a refund, it was beyond a joke.

Rant over! Feel free to share your bad experiences of waiting on a course.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Junior comp, Font Del Llop in Spain, 9 holes, 3 hours. Absolute nightmare as we were the last group out, but the younger kids upfront looked to be having a great time, so I’ll let them off. ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Last time I played the Brabazon I walked off after waiting an hour for the 10th tee. There were still a few groups to play in front of us.

It has to be one of the most overrated courses on the planet. I’m not sure I’d go back if it was free.

Newtonuti

Visit site
Last time I played the Brabazon I walked off after waiting an hour for the 10th tee. There were still a few groups to play in front of us.

It has to be one of the most overrated courses on the planet. I’m not sure I’d go back if it was free.

It was daft, waited a good half hour just on the 10th, then the 18th was worse! I only play it as a mate of a mate can get me on for free, but we only ever usually play early morning outside peak times. Definitely won't be playing again at a weekend!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
One time at the Belfry Brabazon in 1991 was enough for me. Course was OK and well maintained at that time. Enjoyed the course, although overrated in my view.
Nothing else about the place and the day appealed at all.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Teed off on The Brabazon on 3pm, Saturday. Now I've played slow rounds of golf before, but jesus christ! 3 or 4 groups of people waiting on each tee box, with the 10th being absolutely beyond a joke. No marshal's anywhere and absolutely nobody seemed to care. We were going to just walk off on the 14th, but one of the lads persuaded us other three to just finish. If we'd actually paid for the round, we'd of been demanding either a free round, or a refund, it was beyond a joke.

How long was it?

On a slightly different note, I bumped into an old friend the other day. He told me he gave up his brabazon membership as he couldn't secure a tee time. After 3 months he left. He asked for his money back they said no. He took them to small claims and they gave him his money back in settlement

Newnsy

Visit site
Had a boys weekend there, a couple of weeks ago during the really hot weekend, played PGA national on Friday tee’d off at 2 got back into Sam’s at about 7:30 and had zero drinks from the 8th hole as they decided to close the half way hut as we arrived and then the cart just ignored us and drove past. the brabazon was no better on the Saturday teeing off at 8:30 another 5:30 round.

Newtonuti

Visit site
How long was it?

On a slightly different note, I bumped into an old friend the other day. He told me he gave up his brabazon membership as he couldn't secure a tee time. After 3 months he left. He asked for his money back they said no. He took them to small claims and they gave him his money back in settlement

Just under 6 hours in the end. Absolutely took the proverbial! Slow groups messing about, with no marshal's. Most groups had buggies as well, so there just wasn't an excuse.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We played it some time ago. Very slow . Guy in front complaining to Marshall , Marshall checks his notes. Nope you should be here now (so they plan for that slow)

"Would you rather be out here enjoying golf or fighting in Afghanistan" quib came back light hearted

Seriously .. I mean yes we all would rather be on the course but the guy had a point it was very slow

MACM85

Visit site
I have a corporate day there in a few weeks. Expect it to be slow but corporate days generally are. Personally I don't think the Brabazon is that great. Only a few holes that stand out.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Five hours for a 4 man scramble yesterday. Waiting on every shot. I wished I hadn’t bothered.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair, the forum is not squeaky clean on this one. Longest round of golf that I have ever played was the first ever forum meet around the Brabazon (OK it was open to GM readers as well). I will admit to being part of the problem, there was no requirement ot show handicaps and I was relatively new to golf at the time and was nowhere near ready to take on that course. Still, was 2 or 3 groups waiting on almost every hole.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The belfry and forest of arden issued extensions on rounds of golf after the lockdown of winter 2021. The extension was granted to November 2022. All of a sudden voucher holders want to take their round while the weather is still fair.
My friend who works in golf ops is currently dealing with multiple complaints as people who got extended are calling and expecting to tee it up tomorrow. The volume coming through is very high.
I asked why they are still selling tee times when there are so many voucher codes outstanding and he said "you can't not book paying customers onto a course because a voucher holder "might" call and want a last minute round.

The brab and pga are booked solid for a long while. I went yesterday to use the gym and the place is heaving.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You also have the standard issues with guests playing a new course that they have paid to play. They do not know where they are going, the best places to play to, the layout of the holes, the places balls go missing etc. You also, understandably, get people wanting to make the most of their round. They are going to play out every hole, they are going to play on even if they have already taken half a dozen shots, they are gong to look for balls and they are going to take their time. It is unrealistic to expect people to pay to play a one off round for many and play it like their home course on a mid week knock around.

Even without the huge number of bookings, some courses like this are always going to be bust and slow.

Newtonuti

Visit site
You can't expect people to hurry playing some big name course. They want to make a day of it.
My advice is to play somewhere else.
I played the Brabazon in 1985 and have never been back.

If I'd paid for it I'd be fuming, but I often get it for free, so will probably just tee off early morning if I can. I was just shocked at the lack of marshal's or anybody with any authority whatsoever.

sunshine

Visit site
You can't expect people to hurry playing some big name course. They want to make a day of it.
My advice is to play somewhere else.
I played the Brabazon in 1985 and have never been back.

This.

If I played the Brabazon I'd take my time. For example, I'd try and drive the 10th green, and then I'd have to hit a provisional lay up afterwards. It all adds up.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I'd paid for it I'd be fuming, but I often get it for free, so will probably just tee off early morning if I can. I was just shocked at the lack of marshal's or anybody with any authority whatsoever.
The Marshalls have been taken off as they just get constant abuse from the guests. No body likes being told they're slow and the usual "I've paid a fortune to be here and don't need you telling me off" soon entails.
I think it's very unfair on the late starters that lose light and can't complete a round

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
This.

If I played the Brabazon I'd take my time. For example, I'd try and drive the 10th green, and then I'd have to hit a provisional lay up afterwards. It all adds up.

Don't forget the multiple photos of the hole that people take too. It all adds up. The belfry isn't main problem. It's the golfers. You can't tell them. I personally witnessed it on multiple occasions. Even had a roll around on the floor with a golfer once for sticking up for my friend (tee Marshall) after he was being threatened