The Belfry Rumour

Newtonuti

Visit site
So when I was playing The Derby up at the Belfry, one of the marshall's mentioned he'd been told they were planning on levelling The Derby, to build a new championship course, in order to try and attract bigger tournaments again. To add to this, I also heard that they may be bulldozing all 3 courses there to re-start almost! Although I can't see them bulldozing all 3, it'd cost em an absolute fortune.

D

Deleted member 1147

So when I was playing The Derby up at the Belfry, one of the marshall's mentioned he'd been told they were planning on levelling The Derby, to build a new championship course, in order to try and attract bigger tournaments again. To add to this, I also heard that they may be bulldozing all 3 courses there to re-start almost! Although I can't see them bulldozing all 3, it'd cost em an absolute fortune.
With a top architect, the Brabazon could be improved, around the existing stronger holes.

Also, it would be interesting to see what they could come up with the replace the PGA/Derby

But, like you say, the cost would be enormous.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can see this being a good move from a business perspective. The pay off would take many years given the investment required, but it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't pay off.

As it stands, I'm not bothered about visiting the Belfry on the grounds that the Brabazon doesn't appeal enough to make the other two courses worth playing. The Brabazon plus another championship course though.......

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A staggered redevelopment would seem, to me, the way to go - starting with turning Derby into a serious 'proper' test, though with tees that allow higher cappers, there more for the break than the golf, to play without getting too beaten up. Cash flow issues/investment requirements are minimised also. Brabazon would continue to be as attractive as it has always bee becuse of its Ryder Cup heritage. It's never been a really great course imo (condition excepted) but Ryder Cup requirements are different to 'normal' strokeplay tournament ones.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
That rumour has been doing the rounds for over 8 years. The belfry can't organise a piss up in a brewery never mind making a new course. They moved the 18th green on the Pga to make room for a new spa. They decided to scrap the plan after all that work. Ruined a great hole for nothing ??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This has been rumoured for years. It would take a lot of work to make the Derby anything other than the bang average course it is already. The PGA has the potential to be a good course but needs stripping right back. There are some decent holes but if you are going to go the whole hog would you keep anything or start from scratch? The Brabazon has some good holes on and has shown with the British Masters it can still hold a DP event but it is a million miles from hosting another RC or similar. Would it make more commercial sense to focus on two top quality courses and use the Derby course to build purpose built state of the art practice facilities

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've also heard that the ratio of prostitutes to punters at the local night club is going to be increased. Which sounds unrealistic based on what I have heard ;-)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...The Brabazon has some good holes on and has shown with the British Masters it can still hold a DP event but it is a million miles from hosting another RC or similar...
Ryder Cup courses don't need to (and arguably, shouldn't ) be seriously tough. It's matchplay, so Risk/Reward (possible Birdie/Eagle v Bogey/Double) or even simply Birdie opportunity holes are to be encouraged.