The Belfry Rumour

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Poor old Brabazon is on uninspiring, flat former farmland. Classic, if in doubt, did a hole and put a lake there! However well conditioned, the limitations of the site are considerable.

The (Ryder Cup) memories exceed the quality of the layout by some distance.
The limitations?

D

Deleted member 1147

I wonder how many of the boring holes, if they had a little bit of pink and pine trees, rather than oaks, would be liked much more?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The sight itself, the current courses (design & quality) the flat land, poor drainage, potato field etc, has nothing to do with what it could be.
With the ability to move earth, create elevation changes etc, they could build something brilliant. All it requires is a top designer, enough money, and time for growth and maturing.
It's never going to be a challenger to the top links or heathland courses, because so many people already have ingrained ideas that parklands can't be better than those courses. But a new Sawgrass or Phoenix type stadium course is possible.

If it is true I'd be intrigued to see what might happen.

They would need to hire a designer in the new modern nostalgia style, though, a Doak, Crenshaw/Coore, McLay Kidd, and it would be quite a different course. In fact, they should redo the PGA National as well and go for complementary styles with different designers.

D

Deleted member 1147

They would need to hire a designer in the new modern nostalgia style, though, a Doak, Crenshaw/Coore, McLay Kidd, and it would be quite a different course. In fact, they should redo the PGA National as well and go for complementary styles with different designers.
Exactly - give the right man/team enough cash, and the skies the limit as to what they could do.
Modern courses, such as JCB involve huge amounts of earth moving.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've got a stay and play booked here in August playing the PGA and Brabazon, I was looking forward to it until i read this thread! ;)

D

Deleted member 1147

I've got a stay and play booked here in August playing the PGA and Brabazon, I was looking forward to it until i read this thread! ;)
You’ll enjoy it.
The Brab is a classic parkland. Hit fairways as the rough is thick. The greens normally smooth and quick.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I played it last month and enjoyed it, especially the greens and their size with severe slopes, you'll enjoy it, but take a packed lunch and drink or plenty of money

MikeF86

Visit site

Hvaing only played the Brab but done so 6 or so times, Its really not as bad as people make out. Its got some lovely holes IMO, especialiy dependant on what your home course is like. Its certainly a special place and you'll no doubt enjoy it.