The barefaced cheek!

Dan_

Visit site
I know of a course quite local to me has taken drastic action to avoid things like this going on. They use the BRS golf booking system, and you can no longer select a specific time to play in the Saturday competitions but instead choose a slot of say an hour and a half in which you want to play. The computer then generates groups within this time slot at random to avoid people playing with the same partners each week and potentially cheating their scorecard.

Thoughts on this? I personally think it's a great way to combat cheating and gives you the option to play with new people, but I do find that I enjoy the normal Satruday morning game with my regular playing partners and would miss that.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know of a course quite local to me has taken drastic action to avoid things like this going on. They use the BRS golf booking system, and you can no longer select a specific time to play in the Saturday competitions but instead choose a slot of say an hour and a half in which you want to play. The computer then generates groups within this time slot at random to avoid people playing with the same partners each week and potentially cheating their scorecard.

Thoughts on this? I personally think it's a great way to combat cheating and gives you the option to play with new people, but I do find that I enjoy the normal Satruday morning game with my regular playing partners and would miss that.

you mean drawn comps? Thats hardly drastic action and how all clubs should operate imho, would be a massive negative if i was looking to join a club and its comps werent drawn, nothing worse than everyone playing in the same groups week after week for me

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de

It's done similarly at our course. Groups, couples etc. are always split up for comp rounds. Our club secretary does it in a way that's as convenient as possible for them, like, for example, placing husband and wive in groups directly behind each other, so that if they come with one car, they don't have to wait long on their partner, but they are never put in the same slot. The only exception to that are a few non-qualifying fun competitions or team events. But basically, if you want to play with specific friends or family, you can do so in a social round, but in a comp you play with whoever you are grouped up with. I actually like that, not because it prevents cheating (I don't much care if others cheat, to be honest, I am playing mostly against myself out there), but because it gives me a chance to meet new people every time.

D

Deleted member 21258

I can safely say I would not enter a competition at that course and it would also be enough if I wanted to keep an active handicap to move courses over. I don't enter any of the drawn comps at our course and when Adam/I played in comps on a number of times we had a third person join us and company can be a bit hit and miss and I'm not saving that I am the best company to be with.:p

I play for fun and playing with two or three strangers every week isn't my idea of fun to be able to play in a competition. Not sure if I should say all of that:eek:

Also drawn comps does not solve cheating.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can safely say I would not enter a competition at that course and it would also be enough if I wanted to keep an active handicap to move courses over. I don't enter any of the drawn comps at our course and when Adam/I played in comps on a number of times we had a third person join us and company can be a bit hit and miss and I'm not saving that I am the best company to be with.:p

I play for fun and playing with two or three strangers every week isn't my idea of fun to be able to play in a competition. Not sure if I should say all of that:eek:

At my club, me and one of my mates are members, and on competition days they say minimum 3 or 4 balls. So we just tell the club sec we're entering and he matches us up with one or two other guys that we may or may not know. I think it's a nice way to do it personally, because I like playing alongside my mate, but I also want to meet other club members, so it's best of both really.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

i think you are missing out by avoiding drawn comps. When I first started at my club I was always playing with strangers, but it didn't take long to get to know people. After a while I knew lots of people and met my usual playing partner that way.
I can go up to the course at any time and see a friendly face. It makes for a good club atmosphere.

D

Deleted member 16999

i think you are missing out by avoiding drawn comps. When I first started at my club I was always playing with strangers, but it didn't take long to get to know people. After a while I knew lots of people and met my usual playing partner that way.
I can go up to the course at any time and see a friendly face. It makes for a good club atmosphere.
We've never had drawn comps, you put your name and upto 3 others in one slot.

Don't believe I've missed out on anything, Club is very friendly anyway and to me playing with lads I've known for over 10yrs there is absolutely no chance any of us would risk our friendship by cheating in a game of golf, we would also have no issue immediately questioning each other if any situations arise.

I have no issue with drawn comps and can see the benefits, just don't think they are any worse or better for detecting or stopping cheats.