The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Since you are used to the Superb, getting another VW group car is likely to have a similar "family feel".
It's absolutely true that one's response to a car is a very personal thing.

When my own Skoda was being repaired I was given a Vauxhall Grandland courtesy car, and it was a thoroughly hateful experience.
There was nothing I could put my finger on that screamed "this is wrong" (except for not being able to drop a set of golf clubs in the boot without removing the driver).
As a car it basically did the job, but boy was I glad to be rid of it.

I really cannot fathom why anyone would buy a car without a test drive.

To be fair Clive you struggle to get your head round why someone would buy a car without a spreadsheet of when they will break even on the money they would have lost interest on to purchase said car 🤣

Everyone's different

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
To be fair Clive you struggle to get your head round why someone would buy a car without a spreadsheet of when they will break even on the money they would have lost interest on to purchase said car 🤣

Everyone's different
Did you bother to actually read and understand what I wrote?
When did I ever bring up money as a factor about whether you might enjoy driving a car?

True, I have analysed when you might expect to get your money back if you choose to buy EV rather than ICE, but that's nothing to do with driving satisfaction.
But since you're the one who's happy to buy a car based on its paper specs, I guess driving enjoyment must be an alien concept to you.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Did you bother to actually read and understand what I wrote?
When did I ever bring up money as a factor about whether you might enjoy driving a car?

True, I have analysed when you might expect to get your money back if you choose to buy EV rather than ICE, but that's nothing to do with driving satisfaction.
But since you're the one who's happy to buy a car based on its paper specs, I guess driving enjoyment must be an alien concept to you.
It is for the vast majority of people. To them it’s no different to buying a washing machine. It’s a tool to do a job, no more. That’s what there are so many Peugeot’s and Vauxhalls on the road.

I’ve never done a test wash before buying a washing machine 🤣

I’ve also never worked out whether I would break even on a car purchase. Or how one would even work that out.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is for the vast majority of people. To them it’s no different to buying a washing machine. It’s a tool to do a job, no more. That’s what there are so many Peugeot’s and Vauxhalls on the road.

I’ve also never worked out whether I would break even on a car purchase. Or how one would even work that out.

I think 2012 was the last test drive of a car that I purchased

6 cars between us since then and not a single test drive

The only car we didn't like as much was the Corsa and a test drive would have proven bugger all because it was a lovely drive. Just build quality over time showed up issues

I will admit I did go to see the Kia to test 2 things

1 can my golf clubs fit in the boot without taking driver out (check)

Can I fit 3 car seats in the back (check)

Ordered one there and then soon as the car seat one was answered

The Alhambra and Kona both blind bought on autotrader and delivered to me

HRv was car wow and just picked it up

I only worked out how to break even on solar when people kept banging on about it to me .. I never overly cared

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I test drove the Superb before I got one, along with other cars on the company list. I also took my missus along for her viewpoint as as passenger.
She has also tested all her cars and with her current one, a Kia Sportage, she wasn't sure till she got in and drove it and loved it straight away. I have to say, again that is a car I would recommend. Nice to drive, very solid and you can hardly here the engine when driving.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

But do you try clothes on before you buy them? ;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But do you try clothes on before you buy them? ;)

No! Lol 😂 pick my size and free returns 🤣

Got roped into buying a yellow top yesterday as youngests favourite colour .. she pointed out I had her twins favourite colour on (pink) and I was like do you want dad to get a yellow one aswell?

Soft bugger me

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
No! Lol 😂 pick my size and free returns 🤣

Got roped into buying a yellow top yesterday as youngests favourite colour .. she pointed out I had her twins favourite colour on (pink) and I was like do you want dad to get a yellow one aswell?

Soft bugger me
So you look like a fruit salad wrapper? 🤣

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The difference between buying a washing machine and a car is that I don't spend hours at a time sitting in a washing machine. In my job I do circa 20,000 miles per annum. It is almost a second home to me and so I need to know that I feel comfortable in it. Some cars I can tolerate for a short time but others I would hate to do big mileage in.
I agree though that for many it is a utilitarian tool. To be honest, it is for me too. I'm not a brand snob and go for VFM with decent quality and meets my specific criteria. However I do know that certain brands have certain qualities (positive and negative) that would perhaps put me off from buying them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The controls, the steering wheel and very noisy for a petrol car.
It is the turbo coupled with the exhaust (very racy sounding). I noticed a lot of people turning round to look when I had mine. One of the first things I noticed it when switching from the same car as a diesel.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I too could never buy a car without a test drive. There have been cars I have got in to and out of again without even bothering with a test drive.
A couple that have given me backache just whilst out on a test drive.

I suppose it is one the reasons I am now on my 4th Peugeot always very comfortable to drive and to get in and out of.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I too could never buy a car without a test drive. There have been cars I have got in to and out of again without even bothering with a test drive.
A couple that have given me backache just whilst out on a test drive.

I suppose it is one the reasons I am now on my 4th Peugeot always very comfortable to drive and to get in and out of.

To be fair you said about the Kona being harsh on the back but you also said you hadn't found the lumbar support. I found it and it's really good 😊

I know it was a loan car and not a test drive but with the amount of stuff on cars I think a test drive you can learn some stuff but still miss a lot of important things.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I test drove the Superb before I got one, along with other cars on the company list. I also took my missus along for her viewpoint as as passenger.
She has also tested all her cars and with her current one, a Kia Sportage, she wasn't sure till she got in and drove it and loved it straight away. I have to say, again that is a car I would recommend. Nice to drive, very solid and you can hardly here the engine when driving.

I'm thinking of getting a Sportage, is yours a petrol or a diesel?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair you said about the Kona being harsh on the back but you also said you hadn't found the lumbar support. I found it and it's really good 😊

I know it was a loan car and not a test drive but with the amount of stuff on cars I think a test drive you can learn some stuff but still miss a lot of important things.

I drove the Kona 3 miles to my home and the 3 miles back to the garage home. At the time I was more worried about what the hell was going on with the steering than worrying about lumber support. ( Realised it was the lane assist when I got home but without a manual could not work out how to turn it off).

Both 308s I got to drive for around 30 miles as a run on a route chosen by me and some time round the local trading estate checking low speed usage.

My current e2008 I had the demo car e208 for a week.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Racy is not the word I would use. It sounded more like a diesel than the diesel Golf they have now given me.
I would agree racy is probably not the right word, throaty??

Having gone form the same car in a diesel to the petrol version I would agree about the different sound.

Mind you my next door neighbours VW Tiguan or Troc sounds just the same as mine did from the outside.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I drove the Kona 3 miles to my home and the 3 miles back to the garage home. At the time I was more worried about what the hell was going on with the steering than worrying about lumber support. ( Realised it was the lane assist when I got home but without a manual could not work out how to turn it off).

Both 308s I got to drive for around 30 miles as a run on a route chosen by me and some time round the local trading estate checking low speed usage.

My current e2008 I had the demo car e208 for a week.

Do you read the manual on the test drive? In your example if the 308 would you have read the manual for the steering on test drive if had affected that?

Surprised the demo 208 was anything like the 2008 they are very different rides , smooth tho . Unless you were just testing it EV suited you ofc