The all things EV chat thread

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For kids seats you have to keep in mind that if you are travelling into the EU they have longer requirements. 150cm instead of 135cm child night is the one we know. Not sure about age, here it is 12.

So in Ireland or France and beyond you might need more kids seats than here.

Why is U.K. on pint size while eu seems bigger?? Does our ev work with their electricity..? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely following the ABC method

Set my limit to 80% battery

Left home with 71% today, drove to the club . The chargers (turns out there is 5, one is broken rest fine) were empty. So why not. Plugged in using the adapter, worked a treat. 3.7kwh speed. Slower than at home but faster than a 3 pin

Done 15 miles today doing some jobs for the Mrs on the way home. A pre condition each end

78% now says 202 range the way I've been driving it .

Someone at work offered to buy the Alhambra off me.. I'm doing everything in my power to resist selling it to get another EV .. it does 2000 miles a year (prob less now) very tempted .. few leafs out there at reasonable price

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Definitely following the ABC method

Set my limit to 80% battery

Left home with 71% today, drove to the club . The chargers (turns out there is 5, one is broken rest fine) were empty. So why not. Plugged in using the adapter, worked a treat. 3.7kwh speed. Slower than at home but faster than a 3 pin

Done 15 miles today doing some jobs for the Mrs on the way home. A pre condition each end

78% now says 202 range the way I've been driving it .

Someone at work offered to buy the Alhambra off me.. I'm doing everything in my power to resist selling it to get another EV .. it does 2000 miles a year (prob less now) very tempted .. few leafs out there at reasonable price

What is the ABC method.... 'Always Be Charging (because i have nothing else to do)?'

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is the ABC method.... 'Always Be Charging (because i have nothing else to do)?'

Indeed. If you have the opportunity to charge then Do so

As I'm home now with 78% and the limit I've set is 80% I won't bother but tomorrow if the charger at work is free and nobody needs it I'll just plug it in and let it fill up.

That aside what a car. The commute is more relaxing now I let the cruise control take me in and just monitor the road , it keeps me in lane. I just sit back and listen to a podcast

Yes that's not fun driving but boy am I more chilled and less pedal to the metal

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting video I've just stumbled on:

Cards on the table: I have a problem with Tesla's attitude - they seem a bit like Apple in their "we are the best" stance.
But it looks that right now, their Supercharging network is so far ahead of the rest in terms of usability, availability and pricing that they quite possibly have good reason to be smug.

It seems that it you want an EV and are going to be doing a fair number of long journeys, getting a Tesla is a no-brainer.
Which upsets me, because not only do I dislike the company's attitude, I also think that - apart from the Model S - Teslas are ugly as sin.

Of course, if you can home charge most of the time, you can happily choose whatever you like.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Cards on the table: I have a problem with Tesla's attitude - they seem a bit like Apple in their "we are the best" stance.
But it looks that right now, their Supercharging network is so far ahead of the rest in terms of usability, availability and pricing that they quite possibly have good reason to be smug.

It seems that it you want an EV and are going to be doing a fair number of long journeys, getting a Tesla is a no-brainer.
Which upsets me, because not only do I dislike the company's attitude, I also think that - apart from the Model S - Teslas are ugly as sin.

Of course, if you can home charge most of the time, you can happily choose whatever you like.

Sounds about right there Clive. The supercharger network is amazing. They have opened it up to other EVs but not all supercharger locations

What you said is spot on. If you want to do long trips constantly. Tesla. If not pick what you want.

Long as you get a home charger your golden

Guy at work picked up a 2 year old VW Id 3 for 20k last week. The second hand market is a gold mine , I mean how far is that off a 2 year old golf which is the non EV version?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Let's assume i have an EV and I put it on charge last night....
We had 2 short power cuts around 1am...would this pole axe the charging or would it kick back in again once the power is restored..?

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We had 2 short power cuts around 1am...would this pole axe the charging or would it kick back in again once the power is restored..?
would kick back to charging, it's the same if you would left the lights in your house turn on once the electricity is back lights would be back on

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It would kick back in providing the charger doesn't trip out when coming back on which is unlikely

I've had it myself and I can confirm it will come back on

I think @bobmac says he uses a timer plug on his charger which is basically a simulated power cut

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does it though, if like most electronic devices now have a standby mode, not default into standby?

No it will come back on, smart charging is built on the charger being basically on and off remotely. My podpoint will turn on at 00:30 and off again 04:30 , plug it in outside these hours no power is taken out and the car will just accept power when it's provided.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

i usually wake up at 3 and plug it back again... bloody foxes keep knocking the cables out.. :)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How things going now you had your charger a week? Is it a little less complex?

i m travelling, so have set it up as a dumb charger. Mrs plugs it in every evening. around midnight, it starts charging and stops when it get to 85%. Because it is being charged very often, it usually takes 2-3 hrs to get back to 80%. When i get back, i am going to try and experiment with the Go intelligent charge. For some reason Go works sometimes but not always.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A very good read, and just highlights the rush to replace has consequences which we should be seriously considering

Whilst it's a valid point, and a concern if we do nothing we are doing the same / worse damage constantly just standing still.

At least with increased mining of materials it's for a long term plan to reduce usage rather than carry on as we were forever

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

my son has a Tesla

It is one of the most uncomfortable seats in vehicles I have been in.