The all things EV chat thread

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is it just me or does the whole charging process appear to be massively complicated.
It just appears to be utter madness.
At my age, life is just too short to have to go through these processes just to fill a car up.

...and this is the 'intelligent' stuff

What i have learnt is that that there are too many charging options and it is horses for courses. I dont fancy sitting in a public charger for 30-60 mins. Its ok if i am out shopping but no otherwise.

My latest adventures are to see if i can use the cheapest rates possible. However the three parties involved - Octopus, Charger and Car dont seem to be agree who is more intelligent. As my good friend would say..
1706018224164.png

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
...and this is the 'intelligent' stuff

What i have learnt is that that there are too many charging options and it is horses for courses. I dont fancy sitting in a public charger for 30-60 mins. Its ok if i am out shopping but no otherwise.

My latest adventures are to see if i can use the cheapest rates possible. However the three parties involved - Octopus, Charger and Car dont seem to be agree who is more intelligent. As my good friend would say..
View attachment 51567

The Kia front passenger seat I can press a button for relax mode to sit in and then there is a 3 pin plug I can use to say use a laptop whilst I wait for a charge

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Must admit, maybe I’ve been lucky with my choice of charger however I’ve never had any issues and the set up was very simple.

I went with Hypervolt as that was recommended by my electrician and the reviews seemed to support this. I don’t bother with any charging related set up on the car, it’s all done via the Hypervolt app.

My tariff allows 7 hours of ‘cheap’ electricity between 00:30 - 07:30. The charger is set up that if it knows a car is plugged in it will automatically start charging for that period. If not, it won’t.

If I get caught short I can go down the more expensive route and quickly change the option in the app to ‘Plug & Charge’ which means that any time a car is plugged in it’ll start charging. So far it’s been simple and whilst for the first few charges I opened the app as soon as I woke up to check its charged I now don’t bother.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must admit, maybe I’ve been lucky with my choice of charger however I’ve never had any issues and the set up was very simple.

I went with Hypervolt as that was recommended by my electrician and the reviews seemed to support this. I don’t bother with any charging related set up on the car, it’s all done via the Hypervolt app.

My tariff allows 7 hours of ‘cheap’ electricity between 00:30 - 07:30. The charger is set up that if it knows a car is plugged in it will automatically start charging for that period. If not, it won’t.

If I get caught short I can go down the more expensive route and quickly change the option in the app to ‘Plug & Charge’ which means that any time a car is plugged in it’ll start charging. So far it’s been simple and whilst for the first few charges I opened the app as soon as I woke up to check its charged I now don’t bother.

Similar to yourself, I went for podpoint cuz guy at work had one

Ironically now I'd say to anyone get a ohme pro due to the smart tariffs

But no issues with mine never not charged in 3 years

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I love living on the edge, so tonight I m back to trying the intelligent car approach. Octopus says it will provide charge between 00;00 to 0700 for me.. car for some reason says it will start charging at 14:27 (complete random figure). Octopus support says that IOG will ping the car at midnight and start charging. So let’s see what happens

I need the car for a 100mile round trip on Thursday, so will be going back to dumb charger if tonight does not work

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love living on the edge, so tonight I m back to trying the intelligent car approach. Octopus says it will provide charge between 00;00 to 0700 for me.. car for some reason says it will start charging at 14:27 (complete random figure). Octopus support says that IOG will ping the car at midnight and start charging. So let’s see what happens

I need the car for a 100mile round trip on Thursday, so will be going back to dumb charger if tonight does not work

They do map random hours when their is excess wind power

And tonight is very windy

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site

Did it work?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IMG20240124133027~2_copy_1024x1365.jpg

Sorry the daily update is so late @GreiginFife I was picking this up lol 😆

@Mudball averaged 3.6mpkwh on the way in (via M25) which on the 64kw battery is 230 miles . Very happy with that

I've played around, set the seat how I like. Got the charge set to limit to 80% so I can run it at that for work etc

I've synced the app , pre condition takes 15 mins and you can programme it to do the steering wheel and wing mirrors at the same time

I've played around with the remote driving so it can slowly go forwards and backwards if someone parks too close to you

Driving on the M25 impressed me most. Adaptive cruise set to 70.. kept me in lane then if I press the indicator it will then switch lanes for me safely

I like I can lock and unlock via the app aswell

Most impressed so far

Also my new driver is in the boot .. but that's another story

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
View attachment 51582

Sorry the daily update is so late @GreiginFife I was picking this up lol 😆

@Mudball averaged 3.6mpkwh on the way in (via M25) which on the 64kw battery is 230 miles . Very happy with that

I've played around, set the seat how I like. Got the charge set to limit to 80% so I can run it at that for work etc

I've synced the app , pre condition takes 15 mins and you can programme it to do the steering wheel and wing mirrors at the same time

I've played around with the remote driving so it can slowly go forwards and backwards if someone parks too close to you

Driving on the M25 impressed me most. Adaptive cruise set to 70.. kept me in lane then if I press the indicator it will then switch lanes for me safely

I like I can lock and unlock via the app aswell

Most impressed so far

Also my new driver is in the boot .. but that's another story

This thread is quite tricky to keep up with. Have you said how much this is costing for the car, not the charging rates etc

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love living on the edge, so tonight I m back to trying the intelligent car approach. Octopus says it will provide charge between 00;00 to 0700 for me.. car for some reason says it will start charging at 14:27 (complete random figure).
My charger is controlled by company owned by OVO it charges whenever there is low demand which is decided by them.

Put mine on charge this afternoon and it started to charge straight away.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This thread is quite tricky to keep up with. Have you said how much this is costing for the car, not the charging rates etc

This is 3 years of hard work. I'm sold on EV life. You never buy a new car to make money. This is just a treat for myself and the family. Priceless

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
This is 3 years of hard work. I'm sold on EV life. You never buy a new car to make money. This is just a treat for myself and the family. Priceless

Not quite what I asked, I'll just go and look on the Kia website. Does anybody think they make money buying a new car?

Electric does actually make sense for me for my commute, though walking would make more sense. The issue I have is that I do so little driving in the week that the savings on fuel would be so small that the cost of changing is prohibitive.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not quite what I asked, I'll just go and look on the Kia website. Does anybody think they make money buying a new car?

Electric does actually make sense for me for my commute, though walking would make more sense. The issue I have is that I do so little driving in the week that the savings on fuel would be so small that the cost of changing is prohibitive.

I apologise, I didn't click. I did post afters

Now I drive 50 miles per day. I average £1.50 per day charge that's summer and winter

That was on the old car this is far more efficient but £1.50 a day

For example i left work with 100% the other night and the lease company asked the Corsa to be 100% for pick up, cost me 59p to charge (30 miles driven as dropped my mate home)

This is charging on octopus go at 9p a unit