The all things EV chat thread

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
A few of the guys in my company went with Tesla Model 3 long range vehicles. Tax was the main thought on this. They ALL HATE them. range drops like a stone in winter. Journey planning is nuts for some who need 200 miles in a day which is not unusual. I do around 30k in my vehicles a year still and will never go for a fully electric becuase its just not good enough

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A few of the guys in my company went with Tesla Model 3 long range vehicles. Tax was the main thought on this. They ALL HATE them. range drops like a stone in winter. Journey planning is nuts for some who need 200 miles in a day which is not unusual. I do around 30k in my vehicles a year still and will never go for a fully electric becuase its just not good enough

With the greatest respect to your colleagues they should have done their research before going down the EV route. It should come as no surprise that the advertised range doesn't match the real world reality as it never done with ICE cars either and anyone whose had even the quickest bit of research knows that cold is a killer to batteries. I don't think EV's are suitable for anyone doing 200 odd miles a day at the moment however the vast majority of drivers potter around and probably do less than 200 miles a week and for them an EV is perfect. In time EV batteries will rival the range and the 'filling' speed of ICE cars but that is a few years off.

Captainron

Visit site
With the greatest respect to your colleagues they should have done their research before going down the EV route. It should come as no surprise that the advertised range doesn't match the real world reality as it never done with ICE cars either and anyone whose had even the quickest bit of research knows that cold is a killer to batteries. I don't think EV's are suitable for anyone doing 200 odd miles a day at the moment however the vast majority of drivers potter around and probably do less than 200 miles a week and for them an EV is perfect. In time EV batteries will rival the range and the 'filling' speed of ICE cars but that is a few years off.
Yup. Electric cars are rubbish at the moment. Their fault for choosing them when they do these sorts of miles. :ROFLMAO:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Did you have a drive in one?
Maybe a long range model 3 might have been more up their street. (pun intended )

Captainron

Visit site
360 mile range even in winter that would be 250 minimum ..

Well within the 200 a day needed

Without stops ofc .

You have to test things to broaden your horizons
I live in Lincolnshire. I have people I see from Inverness to Southampton. 250 miles is not enough.

Currently all electric cars are not fit for purpose

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

That's just not correct though, they are fit for the vast majority of vehicle owners that do not drive for a living. Any EV with a range of 200 miles will be practical for most people and range will only be a factor in the yearly trip to Cornwall for example that just takes a bit more planning. For almost every other journey it's simply not a consideration. I would go as far to say that even if you live in a flat or property that you cannot have a home charger and say that whilst it's still not as convenient you can easily take yourself off to a fast charger once a week or so and probably still cope very well with having an EV.

Captainron

Visit site
That's just not correct though, they are fit for the vast majority of vehicle owners that do not drive for a living. Any EV with a range of 200 miles will be practical for most people and range will only be a factor in the yearly trip to Cornwall for example that just takes a bit more planning. For almost every other journey it's simply not a consideration. I would go as far to say that even if you live in a flat or property that you cannot have a home charger and say that whilst it's still not as convenient you can easily take yourself off to a fast charger once a week or so and probably still cope very well with having an EV.
Purely for my purpose which was implied by my response

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
30,000 miles a year allowing for 4 weeks holiday a year and working 5 days a week works out at 125 miles per day, well within the Teslas range.
I live in Lincolnshire. I have people I see from Inverness to Southampton. 250 miles is not enough.

For someone doing 30,000 a year (125 miles per day) you might be right but for those who do 5,000 a year, they're perfect.

I'd guess the average journeys speed in Britain is around 50mph allowing for roadworks, traffic jams and accidents. That means the Tesla has a 5hour range. That's long enough for me.
But if the range has gone from 80 miles to 320 miles in 10 years, you can imagine where we'll be in 5 years time. Getting on 450-500 miles would be my guess.
Hang on to your ICE car for a bit longer Ron but keep your eyes and ears open.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
30,000 miles a year allowing for 4 weeks holiday a year and working 5 days a week works out at 125 miles per day, well within the Teslas range.

For someone doing 30,000 a year (125 miles per day) you might be right but for those who do 5,000 a year, they're perfect.

I'd guess the average journeys speed in Britain is around 50mph allowing for roadworks, traffic jams and accidents. That means the Tesla has a 5hour range. That's long enough for me.
But if the range has gone from 80 miles to 320 miles in 10 years, you can imagine where we'll be in 5 years time. Getting on 450-500 miles would be my guess.
They get to that stage and then I start to take notice for sure.

Then far from charging being an issue, you can charge at home and not go near a "petrol" station, and charging becomes another plus of EV ownership

Captainron

Visit site

When they can do 500 miles a go and charge in 10 minutes then yip

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When they can do 500 miles a go and charge in 10 minutes then yip

I guess you'd want them to cost under £20,000 too? ;)

Realistically, how often do you have to drive 500 miles without stopping? That's your house to Inverness and 50 miles back, or Southampton and back with 150 miles to spare.

Last edited:

Captainron

Visit site
I guess you'd want them to cost under £20,000 too? ;)

Realistically, how often do you have to drive 500 miles without stopping? That's your house to Inverness and 50 miles back, or Southampton and back with 150 miles to spare.
Bob. I stop regularly like most drivers do. I am not prepared to stop for long periods to wait for the battery to charge enough to hop up and down the land and deal with the vagaries of batteries.

I have a hybrid which states 32 miles on a full charge. It gets 21 in reality which is super disappoiting. I don't bother charging it any more unless I park at the office in MK and a charge point is free (often not the case with the Teslas being there) Its all a load of tosh and a tax break in relaity.

I am happy to fill up with Petrol at a garage, grab a coffee and get on with my journey KNOWING I will get 450 miles minimum from the engine. Electric is great if you are a potterer and only stay local. For my real purposes they are a big pile of crud!

I am not willing or prepared to change my habits to get an electric car and I just don't care how anyone else feels about that.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Bob. I stop regularly like most drivers do. I am not prepared to stop for long periods to wait for the battery to charge enough to hop up and down the land and deal with the vagaries of batteries.

I have a hybrid which states 32 miles on a full charge. It gets 21 in reality which is super disappoiting. I don't bother charging it any more unless I park at the office in MK and a charge point is free (often not the case with the Teslas being there) Its all a load of tosh and a tax break in relaity.

I am happy to fill up with Petrol at a garage, grab a coffee and get on with my journey KNOWING I will get 450 miles minimum from the engine. Electric is great if you are a potterer and only stay local. For my real purposes they are a big pile of crud!

I am not willing or prepared to change my habits to get an electric car and I just don't care how anyone else feels about that.

In 10/15 years time, you wont have much choice if you drive a company car. But thats a problem for then and not now! Battery tech will improve - doesnt have much choice.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Purely for my purpose which was implied by my response

That's the same as everything tho isn't it

You wouldn't buy yourself (or get on company scheme) a Toyota Aygo with a small tank where you would be cramped into and have to stop more

Just like ATM for me an ashp is pointless..the tech isn't good enough for My needs so I'll stick with my 3 year old boiler and look to replace when the tech improves and the boiler hits 10-15 years