The all things EV chat thread

D

Deleted member 15344

Slow, then quick, then rapid then ultra rapid.
The Tesla superchargers are ultra rapid and will give you 200 miles in 15 minutes and for the car above that's all free of charge.
But costs £36k second hand with 60,000 miles on it or £75k brand new

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Lots and lots of going round in circles here with some folk getting uptight.

So lets have a general Summary of the current position

EV's do not have an exhaust, so emmissions are zero, they promote cleaner air qualty.
EV's are great if you have a moderate distance to drive and have charging facilities at home or at work.
EV's are currently more expensive than ICE cars and this is a barrier to more people buying them.
The mining of minerals to make EV batteries is an ongoing issue of some concern.
The Rapid Charging infractructure has improved over the last 3 years, but still has a very long way to go.
Lamp post charging is now quite common in London, but these are not rapid chargers.
EV Range needs to improve and also charging time, when we get to 350/400 miles range rechargable in 15 minutes will be a major landmark.

As more people switch away from ICE cars, the governments revenue from fuel will drop and need to be replaced
is there anything I have missed?

So where does the electricity come from; no coal gas or oil burning power stations producing electricity for these pollution free cars... :unsure:

And I believe it's generally acknowledged that an EV causes significantly more pollution in production than an ICE car, but can then potentially caw it back over its lifetime, depending on the source of the electricity and how much pollution has been caused in creating it.

It's a lot more complex than some would like us to think.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hadn't really considered electric before but this thread has intrigued me a bit. My petrol lease car ends in December. so starting to think about my next car. Since retiring and with the pandemic, most of my journeys are less than 30 miles. Wife has a diesel BMW 1 series so on the face of it an EV could work for me. If we needed a bigger range we could take the BMW. The lifestyle change could mean a smaller car would be OK, as long as the clubs fit in the boot!

Can I ask 3 questions - apologies for the lack of knowledge (and it might have been covered earlier).

1. Could only justify buying used. Is there a real risk that battery life will have been reduced by bad charging practices (I have read what is recommended)?
2. I might sometimes go a couple days without using the car. Does battery charge drop if it's sat (unplugged) on the drive?
3. How do servicing costs compare with ICE (presumably cheaper)?

Thanks in advance.

As a heads up, if you genuinely are going down the route of an EV you’ll need to get your order in pretty sharpish to get one for December. Present lead times are pretty horrendous for most of them if buying new.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So where does the electricity come from; no coal gas or oil burning power stations producing electricity for these pollution free cars... :unsure:
It's a lot more complex than some would like us to think.

Most EV owners charge their cars at night using mostly renewable energy as it the cheapest energy available, and as renewable energy continues to grow, so does its share in energy used.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Most EV owners charge their cars at night using mostly renewable energy as it the cheapest energy available, and as renewable energy continues to grow, so does its share in energy used.

So at the moment, as it is not all renewable energy, we are still creating pollution to provide electricity for “pollution-free” cars then? ?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
As a heads up, if you genuinely are going down the route of an EV you’ll need to get your order in pretty sharpish to get one for December. Present lead times are pretty horrendous for most of them if buying new.

Thanks, but no, won't be buying new. it's a second car so will be going for used, hence the question on battery charging practices.

Have seen a few within my budget with, say 20-30k miles on the clock.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, but no, won't be buying new. it's a second car so will be going for used, hence the question on battery charging practices.

Have seen a few within my budget with, say 20-30k miles on the clock.

Depends on size but Zoe and leaf would be cracking second hand.

Im eyeing up the MG second hand in a few years as brand new is 27k now so should be affordable in 3 years for sure.. second car like you say.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Still on chargers issues.
I've driven down south this week. My hotel in Swindon didn't have any chargers, nor where there any nearby.
My hotel in Droitwich has no chargers, nor any nearby.
I am all day at work tomorrow and there are any chargers nearby.
None of these are remote places, but just an example of the work that still needs to be done on the charging infrastructure.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still on chargers issues.
I've driven down south this week. My hotel in Swindon didn't have any chargers, nor where there any nearby.
My hotel in Droitwich has no chargers, nor any nearby.
I am all day at work tomorrow and there are any chargers nearby.
None of these are remote places, but just an example of the work that still needs to be done on the charging infrastructure.

What has really set the networks back is the change in policy for car parks to have chargers

It's now new and refurbished

Not all carparks

Shame

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just a thought. Has anyone's club yet installed charger(s) in their car park? Was a guest at a friend's club today and their manager was in the lounge while we were having a coffee. I posed the question and was amazed at the defensive answer and waffle he spouted ranging from "well, some members are here for 7 or 8 hours" to "we haven't really got enough car parking space for charging points". WTF???

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a thought. Has anyone's club yet installed charger(s) in their car park? Was a guest at a friend's club today and their manager was in the lounge while we were having a coffee. I posed the question and was amazed at the defensive answer and waffle he spouted ranging from "well, some members are here for 7 or 8 hours" to "we haven't really got enough car parking space for charging points". WTF???

We have 4 ATM , but they installed the type 1 chargers when it was nissan only. Basically got in two soon.. you can get a converter cable for them but they are due to be upgraded soon to type 2s

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are doing 350 miles per day, the Tesla S would be your best bet at 298 miles of range and if you use the Tesla superchargers you can add 200 miles in 15 minutes and for some cars that is FREE FUEL.

So on Monday you drive 350 miles with one stop of 15 minutes.
And on Tuesday you drive back with one stop of 15 minutes.
Total distance.... 700 miles
Total cost..... 0

Think the "free" part needs changing because only certain telsas get it forever. This was changed a while ago , some get 1000 miles a year worth of free fuel instead and most now get nothing I believe

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah….what you mean is the Realreal world” of traffic and deadlines where a 350 mile journey needs to take 5-6 Hrs not 5-6 hours plus two 50 minute top ups (have a coffee and a rest why don’t you ?)

I’ve weighed it up, getting a “long range” job and plotting my long journeys verses getting a city car and hiring when I go on long journeys and I think they are just not right for me. I’ve selfishly got my eye on a Volvo V60. 2L petrol, euro6 compliant, she’s a beauty and it’s only £305 per month. ?

Ironically traffic and EVs are best friends

Where as ice cars have poor stats when they have to crawl along and dramatically reduces their mpg etc the slow speeds really eek out the ev range

For example coming down from muswell hill to the 406 normally is 3.5 mpkh average it goes up to 6 when it's 3pm and the bumper to bumper traffic starts

Coming home when it's really busy I get some of my best (least) consumption

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Think the "free" part needs changing because only certain telsas get it forever. This was changed a while ago , some get 1000 miles a year worth of free fuel instead and most now get nothing I believe

Yes I know, I was referring to the Tesla in the Auto Trader advert which is why I wrote..

If you are doing 350 miles per day, the Tesla S would be your best bet at 298 miles of range and if you use the Tesla superchargers you can add 200 miles in 15 minutes and for some cars that is FREE FUEL.

So the charging infrastructure isn't there yet.