The aching body over 50yrs...............and ageing process !

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm 55, been trying to play golf on and off since the mid 80's (with a hiatus between 2000 - 2008). Currently playing 9 holes once or twice a week, but usually 4 times through the summer. I also do Aikido 3 times a week for the last 28 years, which helps keep me flexible and fit. However, I have struggled with frozen shoulders and tennis/ golfers elbows at different times over the past couple of years. The winter cold makes them a lot worse, this year it's tennis elbow in my left arm, which really impacts the golf swing and the Aikido. As a result, I have played a lot less golf over the past few months, and when I do play, restricting to 9 holes mostly, although I try to play 18 in our swindle at least once a month. I use an electric trolley in the summer, but have actually carried pretty much the whole winter this year. Do feel tired on our last stretch, which can induce a loss of concentration at times, but for the main part, I'm happy to keep carrying until it's warmer, when I hope the elbow gets better.

Ironically I also have tennis elbow in my left arm, it's a chainsaw induced injury, but it doesn't really have any impact on my golf.
Weird.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ironically I also have tennis elbow in my left arm, it's a chainsaw induced injury, but it doesn't really have any impact on my golf.
Weird.
ive had Tennis Elbow and the exercises really worked and don't reall feel it at all now in fact i would say its cured it..... as for the Golfers Elbow in the other arm... that isn't shifting

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Seems I am not alone, which I'm not sure if I find reassuring or not !!

The thing is, this has all reared its head only in the last year or so, which is what I find annoying. I've managed my Knee issues well for over 40years, so the impending replacement will sort that out, and there is a chance that because of the over-compensation in many ways for the knee
are what's causing 'some' of the other discomforts etc, time will tell.

Don't they have replica of the 17th at Sawgrass on one of their courses at Rudding Park?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Weird.
I've got a tennis elbow-like pain at the top of my left arm at the moment.
Had TE on both sides in the last 5 years and more recently its moved towards the shoulder, again on both sides.
Right side seems to be on the mend but the left side is worse
I've been carrying up at the zoo recently but I cant bend the ,left arm to the angle needed to get it through the double strap so it's over the right shoulder only.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I consider myself very fortunate. I occasionally get a lower back twinge reminding me that I had serious sciatica 11yrs ago (so now use a trolley rather than carry); my hips can ache a bit after 36 holes as a result of too much diving around on hard ground for too long as a goalie well into my 40s; and my left knee occasionally reminds me that I wrenched it badly when skiing in Aviemore some 45yrs ago...physically that it's...

Most obvious aging sign is that little wisps of grey are starting to appear in my full head of dark hair. But hey - George Clooney! Vanity be mine enemy...:)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Weird.

I feel it quite badly when the club impacts the ball, or the ground. Even with co-codamol, it only helps for a couple of holes, after 3 or 4 holes I'm constantly massaging the left forearm in an effort to reduce pain when walking between shots.

As a point of note, have been doing some massage/ stretch exercises with and without a resistance bar, hav ealso been for acupuncture, but it is still an issue for me at the moment. Been nearly 3 months now.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
ive had Tennis Elbow and the exercises really worked and don't reall feel it at all now in fact i would say its cured it..... as for the Golfers Elbow in the other arm... that isn't shifting

Any chance of expanding what exercises helped - I'm struggling with Tennis Elbow in my left arm - doesn't stop me at the moment, but want to get rid of it!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any chance of expanding what exercises helped - I'm struggling with Tennis Elbow in my left arm - doesn't stop me at the moment, but want to get rid of it!
After a number of threads on here about tennis elbow I bought a Flexbar as it kept being recommended over and over. That has made a huge difference and after having problems for 5 years or more I know only get the occasional twinge. I went for the green bar, that seems to be the middle of the road one. They can be easily found online.

Patrick 148 may have found another solution but that one worked well for me and a number of others on this forum.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
got the sheet from the physio here somewhere, will dig it out.

it was one in partic that worked best and did it every spare moment i got

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Phisio told me to make my own.
A brick ( one with holes in) piece of string and half a brush pole.
Put a small nail/ screw in the pole centre ,tie each end to the pole/ brick.
When you put your arms straight out chest high the brick should be on the floor.
Wind the pole until the brick is six inches from the hands then reverse. Keep arms straight out chest high.
This sounds easy but belive me after a couple it’s not.
Don’t overdo it build up gradually.
It sorted mine.

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Phisio told me to make my own.
A brick ( one with holes in) piece of string and half a brush pole.
Put a small nail/ screw in the pole centre ,tie each end to the pole/ brick.
When you put your arms straight out chest high the brick should be on the floor.
Wind the pole until the brick is six inches from the hands then reverse. Keep arms straight out chest high.
This sounds easy but belive me after a couple it’s not.
Don’t overdo it build up gradually.
It sorted mine.

This sounds like a neolithic "bullworker" - remember them? :D