The aching body over 50yrs...............and ageing process !

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,
Havent posted for quite a while, but feel compelled to now, and see what everyone else's experience of playing as we get older is.......

Here I am, 57yrs old, and 'reasonably fit'.......ie I can go out on my Road bike and cycle 30miles easily, with little or no after effects. However, play a round of Golf and quite frankly, I feel beaten up !

I'm currently awaiting a date for a Knee Replacement, or Partial Knee etc, but despite that, have played regularly for many years, and I'm still playing off 9h/c. Last summer, both my knees were giving me some grief,
which coupled with the wet course and course closures, means I havent played as much this winter.

But in all honesty, as well as problematic knee/s, my overall suppleness and ability to swing is just feeling severely hampered and labouired these days, as if physically, I've just hit a wall in many respects. Has anyone else felt the same at some point in their advancing years ??!

My hips/lower back feel tight, my shoulders less supple, and throw in two fubbbared knees, and its a sorry state. Ive recently started taking a supplement called Joint Fuel 360, which another golfer recommended to me, and after 1mth in, I keep thinking I am feeling improvements,
but I'm not convinced, jury's out, but I'll persevere.

My playing partners, some same age, some older, dont seem to suffer the same,.......and some are less 'fit' in some respects, and drink far bloody more than I !!

So guys, tell me your expoeriences as you've got older, please tell me I am not alone !?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If I'm honest I cant remember a round of golf in the last 20+ years when something hasn't hurt.....actually I cant remember a day when something hasn't hurt

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just turned 50 so not quite reached you yet but I have lower back issues, sore knees and a total lack of flexibility. Some remnants of an earlier sporting life, some just age. I keep meaning to do yoga as other golfers rave about that and I suspect it would be a big help. The cold, damp weather certainly does not help, summer golf is much easier, and a flat course is definitely preferable.

I use Deep Heat on my back before going out which helps, might be worth trying. You are definitely not alone.

D

Deleted member 21258

Not long turned 50, yeah fairly achy back/neck and hands most of the time and playing golf doesn't help. But I feel good whilst playing golf, so golf continues ;)

I tried the getting fat diet, that hasn't worked,. Going to try the losing weight option next week.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm only 33 and my knees, hamstrings and ankles are already rubbish. Won't be many years before I have to give up Sunday footy, which I'm dreading. I love training on Wednesdays, but an hour after we finish I can barely walk back from the train station.

Golf doesn't hurt me too badly, yet, but last night I was feeling a lot of pain in one of neck muscles, no idea if that was from golf, footy or both. I am terrified of getting old tbh.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the club, I'm 73 have osteoarthritis [ wear and tear ] in my lower spine impinging on the left side nerves, plus a torn meniscus in my left knee.
I've tried regular physio treatment, a course with a chiropractor, a agonising course with an Osteopath ,even tried 1 session with a quack Osteomyologist, sadly none of them helped.

I can manage 15 holes carrying a half set of clubs in a light bag, for 18 holes in need my leccy trolley. Taking 2 high strength co-codamol helps a bit, but I couldn't play many holes without using the ball retriever on my putter. Also the cold weather doesn't help much but a few drinks after purely for medical purposes defo eases the pain :D

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If Yoga is the answer I sure as hell dont want to know what the question is.....:oops:

As you get older, you become less supple.

Being supple is key to maintaining a good golf swing (amongst other things). Yoga will bring back some of that suppleness that you naturally have in your younger years.

I don't do it though, I moved to spain to get away from the cold weather. It seemed like more fun than yoga.;)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I really wanted to get into that but classes are surprisingly expensive. And the home video version just didn't work for me. Was either too easy or impossible, I couldn't find one at the right level.

I know one of my old clients back in the UK recommended it to me. Golf is hard on the body, especially in the winter. My old course was a 7 and half mile walk, add to that swinging the club, carrying the bag etc, all in cold weather, and you can understand why you feel it after you've finished.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i didn't start playing until i was in my 40's and will be 55 this year.

it would be easier to tell you what doesn't hurt than what does:LOL:

who'd have thought a gentle walk would be so tiring and effect the body so much:cry:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I agree that maintaining flexibility is key, and yoga is as good as any way of achieving that.

I use a book I bought years ago but I think you can still find fairly easily, it's Hatha Yoga (don't ask me how that's different to any other yoga).
It goes into a lot of interesting detail but basically comprises 10 positions that don't take too long to perform.
ISBN- 0041490495

Indeed you can find it easily and cheaply:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yoga-Sel...hash=item46611a327b:m:m_VQsCa0on3b4uSz4YufHYw

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Too many injuries to list.

20+ years ago in my middle age I went to a buggy just to enable me to get round 18 holes

If it was not for Ibubrofen I would have given up the game years ago.

Age has meant an increase form 6-9/10 in handicap over the past 3 years.

I do not exercise because I want what fitness I have remaining to be used for playing golf. I did go on a fitness regime a few years ago the nett result knee and shoulder damage.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Everything seems to hurt and I'm only 53 so not even a senior yet. I have hernias that need sorting two dodgy knees, bad back, and a host of aches and pains. That said, looking at the people I see at work everyday it's a small price to pay to do something I love immensely and I know if I put my mind to it the issues I have can be made good reasonably easily