The 150th Open

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Enjoyed watching the early starters playing golf yesterday, unfortunately today Sky are in 'studio mode' ☹
Think it is 2 shots in 20 minutes.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Moving on. Bit of light rain this morning which is going to bring parts of the course to life and mix things up again. The wind is forecast to turn from west to east around midday and that will also shake things around.

I’m out at the course every day now until the jug is lifted. The atmosphere is tingling, it’s fantastic.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Enjoyed watching the early starters playing golf yesterday, unfortunately today Sky are in 'studio mode' ☹
Think it is 2 shots in 20 minutes.

Shame, our satellite provider is different here and they don't have any studio teams etc , so I'm watching solid on course coverage

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Shame, our satellite provider is different here and they don't have any studio teams etc , so I'm watching solid on course coverage
Yes, am used to similar. Subscription will be binned after trophy is lifted. Currently watching vehicles arriving ?‍♂️ Can't blame the US host broadcaster this week.

On a lighter note, tried checking Haotong Li's 1st hole on the open shot tracker. It wasn't coping well ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
TOC is to golf what Monaco is to F1. Obsolete. Some may be upset about that, and the players may say how much they love the romance of the place as the drivers do in F1.

But, it’s not been a suitable Open venue for a very long time.
True on Monaco. But golf is in a much worse position as so many once great courses have been letbecome obsolete by the innaction of the regulators. its a crime, and the R&A are getting their just deserts this week. For all the history, and hushed reverential names for every bunker, hump, or hollow on the course, the brutal truth they will not concede publicly, is that golf is only being partially tested here this week.
If all or the bulk of the field, has no cause to hit a range of 2 iron to 5 irons into par 4 greens, then it is not Total Golf, and not worthy of determining a great open champion as of the past. Someone will lift the jug of course. But it is a reduced win.
R&A, please sort out the ball and make golf golf again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swango1980

Visit site
If St. Andrews came along now and asked to hold the Open, they would be laughed at, too many drive-able Par 4's and the Opening tee shot is a laugh, an iron off the tee, I know when I go to watch the Pro's, it is about them hitting the Driver, fairway woods and long irons,
plus the 18th is a very poor finishing hole, come the 72nd hole needing a par to win, where is the pressure ?
But because of tradition it will always be on the rota.
What if you needed a birdie to win? Or an eagle? Would you be excited then?

I really enjoyed watching them play the course. Quite a few funky bounces, so enjoyed watching them try and work the ball on the ground.

Can't be that easy a course. The scores don't appear massively lower than most of the other courses they play at, and the weather was about as nice as you'd get at St Andrew's

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yes, am used to similar. Subscription will be binned after trophy is lifted. Currently watching vehicles arriving ?‍♂️ Can't blame the US host broadcaster this week.

On a lighter note, tried checking Haotong Li's 1st hole on the open shot tracker. It wasn't coping well ?

Same for me, getting it stopped next week. Sick of paying for a 1,000+ football games in the sports pack and not watching any just so I get the golf
Its rip off <insert your country here) :(

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I spent some of yesterday listening to The Open radio stream.
Ron Jones was on. How marvellous it was to hear him.
It was a "Madeleine moment" sending me back to evenings listening to European football commentaries from some distant mitteleuropa city. Eyes misted over.

Springveldt

Visit site
TOC is to golf what Monaco is to F1. Obsolete. Some may be upset about that, and the players may say how much they love the romance of the place as the drivers do in F1.

But, it’s not been a suitable Open venue for a very long time.
Why though? The infrastructure?

I was thinking the course may be outdated early yesterday when so many players rushed out to 2 or 3 under in the first 7 or 8 holes but the fact that the cut is projected at Even has definitely changed my opinion.

Will be interesting this morning as there is next to no wind. Let’s see if it get torn to pieces or not.

Agree with Monaco btw. The cars are too wide now, it’s even more boring than it used to be.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Talor Gooch making a push for the top of the leaderboard. I hope they’ve got a few defibrillators handy around St Andrew’s. ?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Old Tom Morris fell out with Alan Robertson because Tom helped replace the feathery with the Gutty.
Innovation in equipment and playing has always been part of golf.
The game has evolved, players train better and hit the ball further.
The scores aren't ridiculous , most modern courses of 7000 yds will not have a par of 72 they will have a par of 70 for pros. The absolute score in benign weather is not particularly low.
It still produces a good spectacle of golf, the main problem being the double greens and close tees mean play is a bit slow.

Genu9

Visit site
Justin Thomas is, to me, perhaps the least cool and least appealing person out there - he’s got zero style IMO - today of course he looks a joke - and with the tight white trousers, huge Ralph Lauren logo-ed polo shirt (before he was dropped for homophobia) he was the epitome of a rich American country-club brat IMO

Looked like Max Wall......

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve watched a fair bit but don’t seem to have seen many players finding the fairway bunkers. If anyone is actually there, are they just bombing it over them?

Visit site
I haven’t played TOC but I would say that I think the scoring is reasonable enough. It’s always been “easy” for the pros (in terms of length) but yesterday it looked like a fair challenge with some cracking pin positions.

Perhaps the rough is a little bit too “easy” for these guys (meaning they’re more than happy to try and drive every green) but the bunkers are certainly penal (more so than any US course they play, where they practically aim for the bunkers!).

However, 6 hour rounds is a problem. It felt incredibly slow to watch yesterday evening and slightly disjointed.