The 150th Open

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Looking at the pace of play...
Tiger and crew have been out there over 5 hours and have played 14 and a bit holes.
It's just after 8..they're not finishing before 9.30.
Tiger has to finish up the admin, get home, get his ice baths in, eat, sleep and be up again for a 10am start..so being at the course 8.30ish....
Not a lot of time for a guy who's bones must be creaking.....
Wouldn't want to be his right leg tomorrow:oops:
He was defending the physical demands of tour golf this week. It’s the nature of the beast.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Last group teed of 4 hours ago and still have 6 holes to go…. At this rate, that’s a 10.30 finish, 40 minutes after sunset. The pace of play is painful - actually inexcusable; if this was acceptable or expected why on earth have groups tee off after 3.30pm?

Great round from McIlroy and Young; Shuffler is very placed and will no doubt feature come Sunday.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think I heard 7 or 8 drivable par 4s.?.

That seems high but depends on the wind. It has been up and moving around a bit today.

9, 12 and 18 have been the ones in play today as far as I’ve seen but the wind has moved around a bit.

Maybe 16 as well if you gambled everything?

You’d have to get very lucky with the wind changing direction to get all the shorter par 4’s playing with wind behind. Even then I can’t think of 8 par 4’s that are in range. 6 at a push?

I can think of 2(just), 3, 6, 9, 10, 12, 18. If the wind switched 180 degrees and you can hit 400+ yards someone good could hit all those in one round.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Last group teed of 4 hours ago and still have 6 holes to go…. At this rate, that’s a 10.30 finish, 40 minutes after sunset. The pace of play is painful - actually inexcusable; if this was acceptable or expected why on earth have groups tee off after 3.30pm?

Great round from McIlroy and Young; Shuffler is very placed and will no doubt feature come Sunday.

Yeah it’s been a nightmare around the shared greens

Was watching the featured groups on the website and it was ridiculous how many waits on tee Rory and co had

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not just the greens, they’re waiting for fairways to clear. In particular 7 is the problem bottleneck as they’re playing to fairway left off the tee which places them in line of players on both 11 and 12.

Anoetic

Visit site
The wait isn’t just the drivable par 4s, it’s the same for the second shots on the long par 5s….Tiger hit driver 6 iron into the 619 yard 14….
The Course isn’t being pulled apart though as some people are suggesting. if it was everyone would be under par, after all they are the best players in the world…

evemccc

Visit site
Question:

Do the R&A do a genuine ‘draw’ for the Open? I think they don’t…certainly not like a draw is made - albeit the top 16(?) seeded players are placed in the draw at Wimbledon.

So if they don’t ‘draw’ for playing partners, then they likely don’t draw for tee-times….?

That’s not very sporting IMO

D

Deleted member 15344

Question:

Do the R&A do a genuine ‘draw’ for the Open? I think they don’t…certainly not like a draw is made - albeit the top 16(?) seeded players are placed in the draw at Wimbledon.

So if they don’t ‘draw’ for playing partners, then they likely don’t draw for tee-times….?

That’s not very sporting IMO

It’s the same at every golf tournament these days

they have marquee groups on both sides of the draw which they group together- everyone else fills in and then they draw for the tee times

RRidges

Visit site
Whether the course is able to be overpowered or not is irrelevant. It's all about who scores best, whether its around Par or 20+ under.
And on TOC, pin positions can have a huge influence on scores.
Depressing to see Woods scoring so badly. Some diabolical luck early on didn't help but he's unfortunately no longer the player he used to be.
Great to see Rory up there though.

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
It’s the same at every golf tournament these days

they have marquee groups on both sides of the draw which they group together- everyone else fills in and then they draw for the tee times

But at least they draw for tee times? That’s something at least

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Whether the course is able to be overpowered or not is irrelevant. It's all about who scores best, whether its around Par or 20+ under.
And on TOC, pin positions can have a huge influence on scores.
It's very relevant. If not, by your logic, they could play the Open on a minigolf track through the hoops, under the bridge, down the ramp. Hey, it's about who scores best.

Seriously, the length of the ball is a travesty. TOC has been humiliated and its desecration will continue for the next three days. Its almost a 3 club challenge: 2 iron, wedge, putter. That's not the way to find the champion golfer of the year. Its a subset of proper golf. How many shots to a par 4 were hit today with clubs longer than a 5 iron ? In a real test, half of all shots should be.
I weep for The Open Championship.