The 150th Open

Hoganman1

Visit site
Just got back to Charlotte last night. What a wonderful trip. Loved Carnoustie and Kingsbarns though the both kicked my butt. The Open was fantastic. I was pulling for Rory, but happy with Smith. He played flawlessly. My life long dream trip was actually better that I imagined it would be. If it was feasible, I think I would move to Scotland.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I've been back in the states for five days now but my head and heart is still in St. Andrews. This trip was a life altering experience. My wife recorded all four rounds and I'm watching right now. It's hard to admit but being there, playing Carnoustie and Kingsbarns and attending THE OPEN Friday and Sunday exceeds my many trips to the Masters.
It was really tough to come home to a home course partially under construction with aerated greens. At age 72, I probably won't make it back. However, every memory is permanently etched in my brain.

evemccc

Visit site
I've been back in the states for five days now but my head and heart is still in St. Andrews. This trip was a life altering experience. My wife recorded all four rounds and I'm watching right now. It's hard to admit but being there, playing Carnoustie and Kingsbarns and attending THE OPEN Friday and Sunday exceeds my many trips to the Masters.
It was really tough to come home to a home course partially under construction with aerated greens. At age 72, I probably won't make it back. However, every memory is permanently etched in my brain.

Superb post. Highlighting the art of travel and of giving yourself great experiences

sunshine

Visit site
Just got back to Charlotte last night. What a wonderful trip. Loved Carnoustie and Kingsbarns though the both kicked my butt. The Open was fantastic. I was pulling for Rory, but happy with Smith. He played flawlessly. My life long dream trip was actually better that I imagined it would be. If it was feasible, I think I would move to Scotland.

Must have been an epic trip. I love it how golf has such a big influence on life in that part of the world.

You lucked out massively with the weather. If it had been cold, wet and windy (normal Scottish links weather) you might not be dreaming of a move to Scotland ?

Hoganman1

Visit site
The other thing I forgot to mention was we met people from all over the world. Everyone including the locals was very friendly at the pubs and on the course. I hope if any of you on this thread ever visit us in the colonies we treat you as well as we were treated. Also, Sunshine is right that we really were lucky to have good weather. When I played The Old Course back in June of 1997 it was in the high 50s (F) and misting rain off an on. I'm not sure a twenty five year older me could navigate those conditions as well as I did back then.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
The other thing I forgot to mention was we met people from all over the world. Everyone including the locals was very friendly at the pubs and on the course. I hope if any of you on this thread ever visit us in the colonies we treat you as well as we were treated. Also, Sunshine is right that we really were lucky to have good weather. When I played The Old Course back in June of 1997 it was in the high 50s (F) and misting rain off an on. I'm not sure a twenty five year older me could navigate those conditions as well as I did back then.

High 50s F is summer here :cool: - To be honest though The North East Fife coast and Angus coast doesn't get anything like the amount of rain the West of Scotland get and it's unusual for snow to lie for any length of time - In fifteen years living in Monifieth (just along from Carnoustie) we only twice had snow which lay on the ground for more than a day.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I watched The Senior Open over the weekend and was thrilled for Darren. I kept thinking how lucky we were that we didn't have that weather in St. Andrews only one week ago.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm delighted to see that your much delayed trip was such a success. If the weather's half decent, golf in Scotland is the best there is imho.
One aside - As far as golf goes, the old colonies seem rather more dedicated to keeping their best golf entirely to themselves than the Scottish (and English) golf clubs. Always seems just a touch hypocritical to celebrate the universal/welcoming nature of UK golf from behind the members-only fences in the US. Is there any pushback when golfers return home from their overseas trips?
Out of curiosity, if I wrote to a private US open course before a holiday and asked if I could visit, what would be the chances of letting me on. I'd be happy to pay.

Hoganman1

Visit site
You're absolutely correct Pendodave. While most great courses in the UK and Ireland are public, most championship venues here are private. Pinehurst #2, Pebble Beach and Bethpage Black are accessible but you have to give them your first born child to play. It's nearly impossible to get on Augusta National. I have been to the Masters over twenty times, but never had a chance to play there. Also, there are some resort courses such as Kiawah's Ocean Course and Whistling Straits that have packages where one can stay and play. There was a move by the USGA a few years ago to have the US Open at more public venues, but that seems to have slowed a bit. I'm curious as to how the club you contacted responded. I'm betting they said you have to be a guest of a member. It's a shame and I truly wish we were more welcoming in this country.

AussieKB

Visit site
294346208_590992525728735_2462984278601752381_n.jpg

Hoganman1

Visit site
Hah! It does seem like he won more majors when his hair was longer. I think he'll win another and I hope it's the Masters.