The 150th Open

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just switched on...and yes - I get that Tiger is supposed by many to be the goat - and I have great sympathy as he struggles over his front 9 - but plse - let's not have commentators trying to find sliver linings whenever he does a half decent shot. A linksie bump and run can be the shot to play - one that we should all look to play if the time is right - but playing a fairly straightforward one to 6ft isn't something exceptional or out of the ordinary. And so - even given he's possible the goat, let's keep a sense of perspective.

Good luck over your back nine Tiger. I hope things pick up.

D

Deleted member 3432

Do long irons as we know them still exist?

I believe some of the pros still use 'real' golf clubs and not jacked loft shovels.

Who knows what they have in the bag as the 4,5 & 6 irons don't get seen very often....

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Just switched on...and yes - I get that Tiger is supposed by many to be the goat - and I have great sympathy as he struggles over his front 9 - but plse - let's not have commentators trying to find sliver linings whenever he does a half decent shot. A linksie bump and run can be the shot to play - one that we should all look to play if the time is right - but playing a fairly straightforward one to 6ft isn't something exceptional or out of the ordinary. And so - even given he's possible the goat, let's keep a sense of perspective.

Good luck over your back nine Tiger. I hope things pick up.
I've just watched him hit an 8 iron bump and run on 9. Apparently nobody has ever done that before, at least not like Tiger.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
And its the Open. Id say most of them have kept the day free, and dont need to get home to look after the kids or whatever. Id take my time and enjoy it too.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Back home after a very early start to be at the Open as the gates opened at 6.00am - We used park and ride at Leuchars and it was seamless with very little traffic at that time of morning - We headed home at 4pm and again it was much quieter than I thought it would be.

Got a £4.50 bacon roll which was excellent and a £3.40 coffee for breakfast then headed to grandstand at first to watch opening the shots.

As Jimaroid said early in this thread the infrastructure is very impressive - we wandered out with Paul Lawrie, Webb Simpson and Min Woo Lee and when we got out there we easily bagged seats in the grandstand at the tenth green - excellent place to watch chips/putts on 7 tee shots as well as holes 8,9,10,11 (bring binoculars if you have less than perfect eyesight to view the ninth green) - saw Poulter's eagle at 9 and Daly's birdie on 8 - plenty more birdies too - grandstand filled up as the morning progressed and it was rammed by the time Rory came through - I got allowed out and back in skipping the queue by asking if it was OK to use the gents mid morning, but later they were telling people they'd have to queue to get back in if they were doing the same (queue was big by late morning).

Wandered back in around 1.45 and had a scout around the shop - as expected was a bit pricey and then headed for a £7 beer (which was fine too) and a seat in front of the big screen for a bit.

We decided that standing on the fence halfway down the 16th fairway would give us a view of Tiger's shot into the third so parked ourselves there and soon got a close up look at Harris English's ball as he hooked it out of bounds near to us - he didn't bother coming to get it after a marshall retrieved it.

Then we got close up looks at Tiger, Fitzpatrick and Speith as they came within 10/15 yards of repeating Harris' line off that tee.

Cracking day made better by the fact that our tickets were free and breakfast and beers were paid for by the mate I gave my spare free ticket to.

First time I've been at a sporting event without being at work with a camera in over a decade - loved it.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've just watched him hit an 8 iron bump and run on 9. Apparently nobody has ever done that before, at least not like Tiger.

An 8 iron was my standard chipper for many years, 7 iron on a links course.
Holed more than my fair share of them. Three in a scratch league match once, seriously peed off our opponents. Seemingly I was very lucky.:love:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Looking at the pace of play...
Tiger and crew have been out there over 5 hours and have played 14 and a bit holes.
It's just after 8..they're not finishing before 9.30.
Tiger has to finish up the admin, get home, get his ice baths in, eat, sleep and be up again for a 10am start..so being at the course 8.30ish....
Not a lot of time for a guy who's bones must be creaking.....
Wouldn't want to be his right leg tomorrow:oops: