The 150th Open

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How is hitting it shorter going to make it quicker? Don’t see that doing anything more than slowing it further.
I think this relates to how many par 4's are driveable or near driveable. Players are having to wait until greens clear before taking their tee shots creating log jams. I don't know how many holes this affects. Whether it is this or the double greens that is making the play so slow but yesterday was awful for pace of play.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I’ve watched a fair bit but don’t seem to have seen many players finding the fairway bunkers. If anyone is actually there, are they just bombing it over them?

Tiger famously won at TOC in 2000 without going into a single bunker. That's 22 years ago and he won at -19. That can't have been a result of all the modern equipment used today, more likely due to good golf.

Have seen a few of the big boys in there yesterday and today though.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I think this relates to how many par 4's are driveable or near driveable. Players are having to wait until greens clear before taking their tee shots creating log jams. I don't know how many holes this affects. Whether it is this or the double greens that is making the play so slow but yesterday was awful for pace of play.

Yeah, I get all that, but if you take the ball away to make them hit shorter, surely, you're adding in extra shots. Whilst it may alleviate the wait for a green to clear, it just replaces it with the wait whilst they think about another shot. Just don't think it will speed anything up much.

greenone

Visit site
No surprises to see people disrespectful of The Old with the usual boring cliches being used. Waiting for someone to say how it’s not even the best course in St Andrews and my bingo card will be complete.
Its not though, strathtyrum is a far better course. ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I get all that, but if you take the ball away to make them hit shorter, surely, you're adding in extra shots. Whilst it may alleviate the wait for a green to clear, it just replaces it with the wait whilst they think about another shot. Just don't think it will speed anything up much.
Something went badly wrong yesterday though to make the rounds 6 hours plus. What was it? (I didn't see enough to give an accurate answer by the way, I'm not being smart with that comment)

In terms of taking extra shots, that doesn't have to ring true. They take an age over every shot, apart from driver it seems. Long iron, mid iron, wedge, chip, putt, all take a glacial amount of time. A par 4 is still likely to take 3-4 shots whether it is driver, 8 iron, putt, or 3 wood, pitch and run, putt, or 3 wood, putt, putt etc. At least if they are not waiting for a green to clear they can be taking their tee shot, walk to their ball, work out which club to take etc. They are not just waiting for the green to clear.

D

Deleted member 3432

How is Calcavecchia exempt?
He's 62......

Taking up someone's spot, and on that point I know it's not going to go down well on here but a clearly unfit T Woods is also wasting a place in the field.

D

Deleted member 3432

Something went badly wrong yesterday though to make the rounds 6 hours plus. What was it? (I didn't see enough to give an accurate answer by the way, I'm not being smart with that comment)

In terms of taking extra shots, that doesn't have to ring true. They take an age over every shot, apart from driver it seems. Long iron, mid iron, wedge, chip, putt, all take a glacial amount of time. A par 4 is still likely to take 3-4 shots whether it is driver, 8 iron, putt, or 3 wood, pitch and run, putt, or 3 wood, putt, putt etc. At least if they are not waiting for a green to clear they can be taking their tee shot, walk to their ball, work out which club to take etc. They are not just waiting for the green to clear.

They were doing it right by calling groups up on driveable par 4s but problem is waiting around for the other group on double green to put out and the lines used going up and down opposite fairways causes massive delays.

Always the case at SA

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
He's 62......

Taking up someone's spot, and on that point I know it's not going to go down well on here but a clearly unfit T Woods is also wasting a place in the field.

I think it has something to do with 2020 getting canned and so last year should've been No150 (when he planned to finish up) and he asked for special consideration to take part this year etc etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He's 62......

Do you have full armour on? :LOL: But it is a fair point.

Apparently, sentiment tops all, see The Masters thread every year for this discussion. People could always get a picture stood on the bridge when The Open isn't on, couldn't they?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
All this talk of taking someone else's spot, everyone their has qualified in one way or another so I dont think that is the case.

If you are in the field this week, then you deserve to be there.

I think their point is that if the likes of Woods and Calcavecchia didn't play, there would be 2 extra qualifying spots.

I don't think you'll find many pro's who are bitter about missing out because Woods is playing though.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think their point is that if the likes of Woods and Calcavecchia didn't play, there would be 2 extra qualifying spots.

I don't think you'll find many pro's who are bitter about missing out because Woods is playing though.

And I think they're moaning for no reason, as Woods and Calcavecchia have qualified in their own way.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
The winning score to par has never really bothered me to be honest, the guy with the lowest score wins at the end of the day. What bothers me is the supposed fact that in mild conditions the course is meant to be easy, yet is taking 50% longer.

Also, what is the actual point of the 'strike meter'? Confused the commentators early yesterday, then made efforts to justify its pointlessness, and even today 300 yard fairway balls are returning a score in the 50s!. Not the innovations I was expecting.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Plus since Rose & van Rooyen pulled out those 'two pros' waiting in the wings actually played :sneaky:

edit: although currently at 116th and 127th they have their work cut out to progress