Temp greens

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
A week off work and temp greens everyday , fuming the weather is great yesterday was t shirt weather , crying ere ! I refuse to go out on temps they are hopeless

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
On one hand I can understand your frustration at not getting on full greens but on the other isn't it just practice or a friendly game at this time of the year, just go out and enjoy hitting a ball round the course

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We haven't had temps for a couple of years now..but the past few weeks, due to snow and had frosts that have turned to soft frosts, and some strange conditions, we have been on temps. You just have to take them on face value. It wasn't until I played somewhere else that I realised our temps were better than the other places main greens!

D

Deleted member 15344

Never worry about temp greens - at least you are able to go out and swing a club

Enjoy it

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep, played Sunday and we were on temps, just enjoyed playing tee to pin and being out in the sunshine.

I drove 30miles to my club saturday morning, saw a guy hit a chip which bounced 4ft in the air and turned straight round. Didnt even get out of the car!

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
my course seems to run temps all day on week day. No effort to put the greens on when they are not even remotely hard on week day. Even when its sunny around 2pm temps still on. Lots of members not happy due to the lack of effort to put them in play. The club will suffer as at least 10 members will be leaving to join a club 3 miles away

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
A week off work and temp greens everyday , fuming the weather is great yesterday was t shirt weather , crying ere ! I refuse to go out on temps they are hopeless

Just play until on one pick ball up and mentally add two, if you are keeping score. Does wonders for my scores !!!!!

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
my course seems to run temps all day on week day. No effort to put the greens on when they are not even remotely hard on week day. Even when its sunny around 2pm temps still on. Lots of members not happy due to the lack of effort to put them in play. The club will suffer as at least 10 members will be leaving to join a club 3 miles away

I completely agree. My club seems to do the same and it even lasts into weekends. A Club only 2 miles away rarely has temps so myself and friends are looking at moving there. I understand sometimes there may be a case but I doubt it's as wholesale as we seem to be seeing. I think other Clubs are recognising this and making much more efforts to move from temps. When I've questioned the use of temps all we are told is how much this helps for later in the year. However recent feedbak on here suggests clubs who moved away from temps over the last few years saw little effect in the long term.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When the ground is brick hard you can do little damage but when the weather warms up and the frost is coming out of the ground [ie thawing from the surface] it can do a fair bit of damage.
Trouble is that golfers who do not know this blame the greenstaff for being incompetent and the club for being clueless.
In reality it is the exact opposite.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought I was going to hate Winter golf on our return from NZ ( not worth playing in bad weather as it doesn't last ) but have come to accept it as an challenge. Yes you're going to get outrageous bounces but so what it's all part of the fun :D
We played in Mail on Sunday comp last weekend and club we were at don't have temps but their greens were like concrete, so just played short then chiped and putted.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most courses are on temps just now, I'm the same as the OP, I don't even bother playing on winter greens, winter tees are bad enough never mind greens. Waste of time IMO. I go to the range instead