Tees

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf, perhaps not. Environmental, yes, bamboo, more so.
I still don't understand it personally. Is one plastic tee lost every 4 or 5 months really such a huge environmental impact vs several broken bits of wooden ones scattered around the teebox every day??

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given that I only lose about three a year I don't think it's high on the list of impacts on the environment.
It may be only 3 for you individually , but if all 50 million or so golfers in the world lost just 3 or 4 each, then that's 150-200 million bits of plastic needlessly dropped into the environment. We might not contribute much personally - but collectively we do. As Tesco say, every little helps. (To ignore it is like taking Trump's view on climate change ...)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I still don't understand it personally. Is one plastic tee lost every 4 or 5 months really such a huge environmental impact vs several broken bits of wooden ones scattered around the teebox every day??
Backwoodsman has summed it up beautifully. In addition, the wooden tees get mashed up by mowers so have no impact post golf. Plastic tees definitely do have an impact, they don't break down.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry but I need hard evidence before I'm going put up with snapping a tee every three holes. Twenty bamboo castle tees cost £4 and will probably last you six rounds at best. Whereas a bag of 25 plastic castle tees cost £1 or £2 and lasts several years.

The bigger issue is not what the tees are made of but people bothering to pick them up. If I can't see mine straight I always look for a minute - but I do see tees left in the ground by others, I don't know they're just leaving them behind for no reason. That's the problem.

Mandofred

Visit site
It will come down to the fact that a fair number of people just don't care if the plastic gets everywhere....not their problem. You can say this about lots of things.....people throwing their garbage around the course, not repairing divots, raking sand etc etc etc. MOST people take care of things, but there are enough that don't to mess things up for everybody.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry but I need hard evidence before I'm going put up with snapping a tee every three holes. Twenty bamboo castle tees cost £4 and will probably last you six rounds at best. Whereas a bag of 25 plastic castle tees cost £1 or £2 and lasts several years.

The bigger issue is not what the tees are made of but people bothering to pick them up. If I can't see mine straight I always look for a minute - but I do see tees left in the ground by others, I don't know they're just leaving them behind for no reason. That's the problem.

Ah well, there lies the dilemma generally. "Me" & what I want to do personally versus "we" and what we could do together.

Nb. This not a dig at you personally but it pretty much sums up the situation as regards us and the environment & climate

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah well, there lies the dilemma generally. "Me" & what I want to do personally versus "we" and what we could do together.

Nb. This not a dig at you personally but it pretty much sums up the situation as regards us and the environment & climate
You talk as if hedgehogs are suffocating under a sea of plastic tees. :ROFLMAO: There must be about a million things that could impact the environment before we get to a couple of plastic tees being lost in the long grass.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
You talk as if hedgehogs are suffocating under a sea of plastic tees. :ROFLMAO: There must be about a million things that could impact the environment before we get to a couple of plastic tees being lost in the long grass.
Each to their own.

But if one can avoid using and discarding plastic - of any kind, in life generally - then why not try?

Me out.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't worry, when you get to 50 you can tie some tees to some string so you don't lose them. I think they may even come part of the over 50s essential golf kit.

Ball lifter on the putter, telescopic ball retriever and a tea towel to hang from your belt
Wearing Lincoln Green off/on course :p:devilish:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Don't worry, when you get to 50 you can tie some tees to some string so you don't lose them. I think they may even come part of the over 50s essential golf kit.

Ball lifter on the putter, telescopic ball retriever and a tea towel to hang from your belt

How can you forget these bad boys

6DB475EF-493C-445B-96D6-E065D8842EAC.jpeg

sunshine

Visit site

I was on your side of this debate until you brought cost into it. Buying tees is a tiny cost, saving yourself literally a couple of quid a year is a very poor argument for adding plastic to the environment.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was on your side of this debate until you brought cost into it. Buying tees is a tiny cost, saving yourself literally a couple of quid a year is a very poor argument for adding plastic to the environment.
It's more the effort of having to order them every couple of weeks rather than every two years.