Swing weight

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to chop 1" off my driver, I believe this will lower swingweight by about 6 points. I am looking to increase swing weight overall by a few points.

Does anyone know the options for increasing the swingweight overall? Would adding a light grip such as the tour 25 (25g) and maybe replacing the weight in the head (M3) work?

Thanks

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I can tell you for certain is that a 1" length of graphite from the butt end of a driver shaft is so light it will not even register on my gramme scale*

* a 1" length of steel from a heavy weight shaft weighs only around 2 grammes.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The easiest way is to add weight to the head, if you have head weights you can change then that's the way to do it.

Or, if you take the sole plate off you can drill into the wood, pour some molten lead in as required and then replace the sole plate.

(Things were so much simpler in the old days ;) )

1602704628523.png

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What I can tell you for certain is that a 1" length of graphite from the butt end of a driver shaft is so light it will not even register on my gramme scale*

* a 1" length of steel from a heavy weight shaft weighs only around 2 grammes.

This is correct but also wrong.

Cutting an inch off the end of the club will alter the weight, or mass, of the club very little. However, swingweight will definitely be impacted and will be considerably lighter.
Reducing weight at the butt end through a lighter grip will have an effect but it will be minimal, the easiest way is to add weight to the head end, and it won't need to be much, as little as 6-8g will probably get it back to where it was.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can buy heaver weights if your driver has the screw types like callaway. you can also have a hot melt too

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is correct but also wrong.

Cutting an inch off the end of the club will alter the weight, or mass, of the club very little. However, swingweight will definitely be impacted and will be considerably lighter.
Reducing weight at the butt end through a lighter grip will have an effect but it will be minimal, the easiest way is to add weight to the head end, and it won't need to be much, as little as 6-8g will probably get it back to where it was.

I know how swing weight is calculated and would seriously doubt that about half a gramme at the butt end of a driver shaft is going to have any sort of real impact on how a player swings the club. Particularly when taking in the view of what the OP was thinking of doing i.e replacing a a standard grip (I assume) around 65 grammes with a light grip around 25 grammes.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know how swing weight is calculated and would seriously doubt that about half a gramme at the butt end of a driver shaft is going to have any sort of real impact on how a player swings the club. Particularly when taking in the view of what the OP was thinking of doing i.e replacing a a standard grip (I assume) around 65 grammes with a light grip around 25 grammes.

As I said, losing 1/2g from the butt end will hardly effect sw, but the subsequent loss of an inch in length will make the club sw significantly lighter, weight will need to be added to the head to get it back to where it was.

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have heard of people pouring block paving sand down the shaft to add weight. Its the very fine stuff, so it does go down to the bottom of the shaft.
I never did hear how long it takes to travel from the handle end to the tip when taking the club out of the bag!

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I have heard of people pouring block paving sand down the shaft to add weight. Its the very fine stuff, so it does go down to the bottom of the shaft.
I never did hear how long it takes to travel from the handle end to the tip when taking the club out of the bag!

Usually would cork the shaft to prevent this. I used tungsten powder in one of my putters, corked it off and never had an issue.