Sweaty hands - struggling for grip.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After playing the past two days I experienced something new. not so much on Sunday which is surprising due to it being hotter, but on Monday I struggled badly with lack of grip from my right(bottom) hand on the club grip.

I was forever trying to dray my hand on a clean ball towel in my bag but sure as hell i was still struggling for grip from my lower (un-gloved) hand. I was tempted to buy a glove or my right hand just to try and aid the grip that i simply couldn't find.

Now im assuming i cant be the only ones who's hands sweat in 70*+ heat so im wondering what other people do to help prevent this. I know a company called physio sport used to make a product called grip, which was popular with weight lifters as it stopped sweating of the hands, or is it simply a case that the stock grips on my taylormade irons/woods aren't up to scratch and i need to look at a higher quality grip.

Thanks in advance to any sensible replies,

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now im assuming i cant be the only ones who's hands sweat in 70*+ heat so im wondering what other people do to help prevent this. I know a company called physio sport used to make a product called grip, which was popular with weight lifters as it stopped sweating of the hands, or is it simply a case that the stock grips on my taylormade irons/woods aren't up to scratch and i need to look at a higher quality grip.

Probably a bit of both. I'm not a big sweaty hands guy, but I'm fairly certain you aren't the only one!

Grips like Steve (LTP) had on his, the Golf Pride squidgy leather jobbies, would probably suit "wet hands" a bit better I expect.

Gazp

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My right hand slips when it's raining & the grips get wet. I've bought a right handed glove hoping this will help. Haven't tried it yet but you might also like to try this.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you do anything different this weekend to normal?
i.e. change in sleeping/eating habbit?? ;)

On a serious note grip pressure can be difficult in humid conditions the same as wet ones. I found that I get on alot better with Corded grips especially when there is more moisture around so maybe it would be worth giving those a go on one club.
Do you take your glove off between shots?
What type of glove do you use?

One big thing with this is to resist the urge to grip tighter when you feel the moisture as it will add tension to the whole swing. Hard to do straight away I know as it is still a bit of a problem for me.

If you do try any powder let me know how you get on with it.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
swinger, I did read somewhere extra protein in my diet could have added to my extra sweating, but I'm sure that I never had any extra that a knew about..... ;)

re the cord grips, I used to use these on my older irons but range sessions would tear my hands to shreds, luckily I seem to have stopped this so it could be a viable option. Regarding anything different, the one thing i noticed help was going weaker with my bottom hand so i was effectively pinching the bottom of the grip between my thumb and finger. but it did make for some interesting shot shapes (a block instead of my normal soft draw as if i was hitting the ball with the face still slightly open) so dont really want to get into that.

I was taking my glove off between shots, and through most of monday rotated 3 footjoy weather soft gloves in an attempt to let them dry a little.

Ive spoken to a pro who reckons its the excess sweat from sunday that has dried into the grip, meaning any sweat from monday was just sitting on the top of the grip.. im not sure if this is him just trying to sell me a nice regrip @ £8.00 a club (ig i go for multi compound golf prides). not bad on 1 or 2 but on 14 clubs thats £100+ down the pan on year old irons.

Its interesting as the grip issue seemed to be coming from the bottom hand which is obviously bare, i didnt experience any issues with the gloved hang (top hand)

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
When I was living in Bermuda I used to wear two gloves the entire time due to sweaty hands. I am a very sweaty person generally :) and would find that it would really get in my head if I was worried about the club slipping in my hands...

I still carry a right handed glove in my bag just incase. I find that while it does make gripping the club feel a bit different at first, it does pretty much solve the problem...

Doc

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi,

It is the residue, wash your grips in warm & lightly soapy water then towel dry.

You should notice an immediate difference and tackiness to the grips (if the grips aren't past their best).

Crown green bowlers use a substance called Grippo for grip in the wet.

Hope this helps

Steve...

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
swinger, I did read somewhere extra protein in my diet could have added to my extra sweating, but I'm sure that I never had any extra that a knew about..... ;)

re the cord grips, I used to use these on my older irons but range sessions would tear my hands to shreds, luckily I seem to have stopped this so it could be a viable option. Regarding anything different, the one thing i noticed help was going weaker with my bottom hand so i was effectively pinching the bottom of the grip between my thumb and finger. but it did make for some interesting shot shapes (a block instead of my normal soft draw as if i was hitting the ball with the face still slightly open) so dont really want to get into that.

I was taking my glove off between shots, and through most of monday rotated 3 footjoy weather soft gloves in an attempt to let them dry a little.

Ive spoken to a pro who reckons its the excess sweat from sunday that has dried into the grip, meaning any sweat from monday was just sitting on the top of the grip.. im not sure if this is him just trying to sell me a nice regrip @ £8.00 a club (ig i go for multi compound golf prides). not bad on 1 or 2 but on 14 clubs thats £100+ down the pan on year old irons.

Its interesting as the grip issue seemed to be coming from the bottom hand which is obviously bare, i didnt experience any issues with the gloved hang (top hand)

Buy your grips online and get him or another pro to fit them for a nominal fee (Mine did all 8 of my irons for about a fiver).

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I'd give the grips a scrub in some warm soapy water, they should come out like new and then see what happens.

Failing that maybe the two glove method will work for you. I'd imagine that it was only the extreme heat this weekend that caused the problem so you probably won't need to wear it that often.

First time for a long time that I wore a glove this weekend due to similar problems.

Another thing that may be worth remembering is to use a buggy if you play Camberley in heat like that again. :D

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
interesting EZ, i was more worried about looking more of a tit with two gloves than i did already.

Just make sure they arn't black gloves, then you'd look really silly!!

Not as silly as a ginger bloke with a cowboy hat on, he would look like a proper tit :D

Haha! Good job I left the pink trousers in the car. Might have been too much to handle. :D

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
interesting EZ, i was more worried about looking more of a tit with two gloves than i did already.

Just make sure they arn't black gloves, then you'd look really silly!!

Not as silly as a ginger bloke with a cowboy hat on, he would look like a proper tit :D

Haha! Good job I left the pink trousers in the car. Might have been too much to handle. :D

:D I'm proper disappointed you didn't rock them yesterday!

Also, I now know why you already have two albatrosses this year!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have 2 FJ wet weather gloves for when it's raining. They're black as well but I don't particularly care what I look like when everyone's getting drenched!