Grip affecting swing ?

G1z1

Visit site
I was messing around on my sim this morning and again I was just very inconsistent and was thinking about changing back to the baseball grip. I think my game started to go off around the time I changed to a overlap grip and the only reason I changed was because I watched a Peter Cowan video and he was saying a overlap grip was mostly used by people with larger hands, interlocking generally for smaller hands and baseball mostly for woman. So me being vain I didn’t want to use a woman’s grip lol but to be fair I was starting to break 80 semi consistent with baseball grip and now I’m back to playing bogey golf at the minute.
So I switch to baseball grip today and felt as if it pretty much helped right away. I was getting slightly more distance but my shots just felt better. Could changing the grip have such an affect or is it all in my head and down to my actual swing being inconsistent ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was messing around on my sim this morning and again I was just very inconsistent and was thinking about changing back to the baseball grip. I think my game started to go off around the time I changed to a overlap grip and the only reason I changed was because I watched a Peter Cowan video and he was saying a overlap grip was mostly used by people with larger hands, interlocking generally for smaller hands and baseball mostly for woman. So me being vain I didn’t want to use a woman’s grip lol but to be fair I was starting to break 80 semi consistent with baseball grip and now I’m back to playing bogey golf at the minute.
So I switch to baseball grip today and felt as if it pretty much helped right away. I was getting slightly more distance but my shots just felt better. Could changing the grip have such an affect or is it all in my head and down to my actual swing being inconsistent ?
Did he really say that?? What utter nonsense. :ROFLMAO:

G1z1

Visit site
Did he really say that?? What utter nonsense. :ROFLMAO:

If you skip to 12 minutes he talks about the 3 grips. I am just not sure if it’s in my head because baseball and overlapping grip is just a slight change in the hands could that have a big impact on my game ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

If you skip to 12 minutes he talks about the 3 grips. I am just not sure if it’s in my head because baseball and overlapping grip is just a slight change in the hands could that have a big impact on my game ?
Plenty will tell me I'm wrong but I personally think use whatever grip feels comfortable. Personally I tried interlocking and it felt like I was going to break my little finger so I binned that off quickly. My grip is a reverse overlap, which I don't think anyone would particularly teach, but it feels right for me as I'm very right-hand dominant and I like more of my right hand on the club. I have a strong grip as well but I generally don't hook it, I fade it.

So if baseball grip feels right, doesn't hurt, and doesn't cause awful shots, then crack on with it surely. What's the reason not to? Because an old man on YouTube said it was for women?

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Plenty will tell me I'm wrong but I personally think use whatever grip feels comfortable. Personally I tried interlocking and it felt like I was going to break my little finger so I binned that off quickly. My grip is a reverse overlap, which I don't think anyone would particularly teach, but it feels right for me as I'm very right-hand dominant and I like more of my right hand on the club. I have a strong grip as well but I generally don't hook it, I fade it.

So if baseball grip feels right, doesn't hurt, and doesn't cause awful shots, then crack on with it surely. What's the reason not to? Because an old man on YouTube said it was for women?
It's a tough one alright.... Do I take the opinion of highly respected coach of major champions or a 20 handicap of an internet forum.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a tough one alright.... Do I take the opinion of highly respected coach of major champions or a 20 handicap of an internet forum.
I didn't listen to the video because I'm in the office today. If he really said "don't use the baseball grip because it's for girls" then I don't care who he is. :ROFLMAO:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The thing about grips to remember is that any change usually feels very very weird to start with.

Years ago I played with an interlocking grip, as that's how I started. I was encouraged to change to overlapping by the pro teaching me.

I got a piece of dowling and used to sit watching TV griping it until it felt normal!
And each to their own eh? I don't think Jim Furyk sits on this private jet worrying about having an unusual swing!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fundamentally, you only need to move away from the baseball grip if it's holding you back in some way. If it isn't, stick with it. If it is holding you back, change to something else and don't give up just because it doesn't yield an immediate benefit.

If you are continuing with it, I would have thought the benefit of the baseball grip might be that it stops your wrists overrunning on the backswing. Therefore, if I were you, I'd try the overlap while not having too much wrist angle and see how it feels.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd ask your Pro to the Stars, he or she will no doubt have far more idea of what's best for you than we will.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
More tinkering???? Think you need to settle on one pro/grip/approach and take time for changes to bed in.
As has been mentioned on a lot of your threads, this game ain't easy and will take years to master (if at all). Stop looking for quick wins and knuckle down and practise properly without swapping and changing everything

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
More tinkering???? Think you need to settle on one pro/grip/approach and take time for changes to bed in.
As has been mentioned on a lot of your threads, this game ain't easy and will take years to master (if at all). Stop looking for quick wins and knuckle down and practise properly without swapping and changing everything

But coming on and posting about that isn’t as much fun

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You missed something:- What about One Golf Club!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cowan is making a very general point, no more meaningful than saying male golfers generally wear bigger shoes than female golfers. Pick the grip that feels and performs best for you. Not many good golfers use a baseball grip, but if it works for you, play it. The huge majority of Tour pros use an overlap grip. I doubt all of them have big hands.

Springveldt

Visit site
I used to use overlap but switched to interlocked as I just felt the club was more secure in my hands. No idea why, when I took the game up again I tried interlock and thought "who the hell can play like this, feels like I'm going to break my pinkie" but now it just feels more natural for some reason.

I don't think I have small hands, probably average but my gloves are XL as the L is very tight to fit around. Also use mid-size grips as they felt better than regular ones.

Just use whatever grips feels best to you.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I'd ignore Peter Cowan. Strike is king so hold the club that best fits that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the fundamental reasons why a baseball grip is not the recommended grip is that it allows the hand to work independently whereas the Vardon or or interlocking grip means the hands work as one one unit which should give better control.