New Grip, How long to get control?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I've finally made the plunge from a very strong baseball grip, to a much more neutral interlocked. After session after session, being unable to get it in the air and out of the middle, it now feels a lot more comfortable. The balls are going way higher, and the duck hook appears to be gone forever!

I'm still not completely in control of the club face, and some can still squirt out right, especially if I don't focus. for those that have made such a large swing change, how long did it take until you felt in complete control?

D

Deleted member 35504

Complete control?? Who do you know who has that?

You'll never have complete control, but you've probably made a change for the good.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We are all in complete control of what the club does as far as I can tell.

Unlike cricket, hockey or tennis, we have a stationary ball to hit and we are allowed a considerable amount of time to take the shot.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Takes a long time to feel comfortable.

I made a significant grip change at the start of 23. It still feels off now and I have to be very conscious of it not going back to how it used to be.

Good luck

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Without seeing your swing I can only offer a simple idea of keeping the club face looking at the ball for longer in the take away.
There's a possibility it's fanning open leading to those shots leaking to the right.

You could try this drill to see if that has any improvement.

You could swing back half way and check where your face is at that stage. It might give you an idea if this is your issue.

D

Deleted member 35504

We are all in complete control of what the club does as far as I can tell.
Oh really?

So you hit every shot in the exactly correct direction do you? 😁. I don't, and never met anyone else who does.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Oh really?

So you hit every shot in the exactly correct direction do you? 😁. I don't, and never met anyone else who does.
You have misunderstood me.
Poor shots are not due to something else taking control of the club.

We have full and complete control of the club. Whatever the club does, we have caused it to that and nothing else is responsible.
All our poor shots are ours - we had control - we caused the poor shots.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you getting ahead of the ball at impact ? This is my bad shot.
It might be why your grip was the way it was in the first place.
If it’s only the occasional shot thinking of just your grip can hide other faults.