Will changing grip (to interlock) render custom fitting pointless?

HBaker97

Visit site
Hey all,

As some background, I'm a beginner golfer (playing around 1 year, 28+ handicap (avg 110, primarily due to always trying the "hero" shots on course, 90% consistent at range with shots) but am serious about lowering my handicap with new clubs + booking coaching sessions.

I'm booked in on Monday for a custom fitting at an American Golf attached to the range/course I'm a member at, and will ask the fitter these questions, but just wanted a neutral opinion as I know nothing about fitting / equipment.

Basically, earlier in the week, I snapped my 8 iron in 2 places at the range. It was a clean swing (didn't hit the floor), and when the guys in the AG looked at it, they said it was more likely due to the "uniflex shaft" that they use on cheaper club models not being strong enough for my swing speed. They are a Ben Sayers M8 Package set which cost 230 quid or so for: Driver, 3w, 5w, 5h, 5-sw, putter, stand bag so I can appreciate they were made of cheaper materials and they were never meant to be a long term club.

In the shop I booked a fitting as it was something I was going to look at doing anyway and I don't mind paying a premium to know I'm using the best that's available for me to help me improve.

My main concern however, is that I am currently using a baseball grip style and have been reading that an Interlock grip will help improve your game and ball control. If I am to go to my club fitting and buy, then I change my grip to interlock/get lessons, is that likely to render the fitting useless or is it more based around Height/strength etc?

Also, if I were to get custom fitted clubs, then something did change in the future (that would render them less effective), how easy is the process of getting re-adjusted or is it a whole new set again?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome :)

Personally think their explanation of why your shaft snapped is utter rubbish

The fitting should be based on many variables, some which may change a little if you change your grip (and there will likely be other swing changes associated)

If you are planning on getting some lessons and changing your grip in the near future personally I would do that before purchasing custom fit clubs.

If it was me I would book an initial lesson with a teaching pro and ask him for equipment advice alongside the swing lesson as he will be best placed to answer but short term you may be better picking up a second hand set of irons rather than spending out on new custom fit stuff

HBaker97

Visit site
Appreciate it and I agree. Just spoke with a pro I'm going to be doing lessons with and he suggested it would be best to wait and see if any swing / grip changes are needed before getting fitted.

I'll definitely take the 2nd hand irons into account but need to do some research. Lack of research is primarily why I feel fitting is the best choice as I can have somebody tell me what should work, then get a feel for it in real time.

Either way, I've cancelled the fitting for now and have a lesson next week. From there I'll decide what I want to do.

Thanks again for the advice :)