Supplementry cards. Right or wrong?

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
What are your views on Supplementry cards.
I wasn't aware of the option of these until last season and I've been thinking of putting some cards in this year to try and reduce my handicap, I'm not sure though if reducing my handicap in this way is right or not.
I just know that playing with a Supplementry card I would be a lot more relaxed than I am on comp' days and I'm not sure this is right. If I knock it round in 4 or 5 over several times which i know im capable of,playing off 10,Would the Reduction be a true reflection of my handicap.

Should the Handicap be a reflection of what you are capable of in a competition environment. (which I find much harder). Or just as a general golfer?

I'm not sure.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I share your views really. I am not in favour, unless your handicap is so wrong you feel the need to address it. I think the only true test of your handicap is off the back tees, medal card in hand.

Off our whites, par is 72, SS is 72. Off our tombstones, par is 72, SS is 72. But there is a massive difference in the way the course plays. Some holes being driver wedge off whites, driver 4 iron off the blocks.

If I put in a supplementary cards off the whites, there is no CSS applied, so it would be easier to get cut to a handicap I could not play to off the back tees.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would tactfully sugest you try one, and see if the pressure you feel is any different from playing in a medal!

If you objective is to get your handicap down then I think it's an admirable process. If you can sign in and go out to shoot significantly under your handicap then you should....if you see what I mean!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I see your point on them. I think for a lower handicap golfer they are not really for us. I think it is more a good way of high handicap bandits to show some honesty and get their handicap cut to something that is a true reflection of hteir abilities.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
As well as a substitute for the old general play cards which you could put in when playing well to get a cut the supplementary card system is a way for people to stop there handicap going inactive if they dont or are unable to play qualifying comps, rightly or wrongly it may not be an ideal solution but it is an option.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBO not in favour, unless you for some reason can’t play in any comps or your handicap is way too high and you are improving faster than the amount of available competitions you have.

I have a competition Handicap and as such it was gained in competitions from the back tee’s in pressure situations. Not having a few good bounce games which gave me a handicap that looked good on paper only.

I had a couple of good rounds recently shooting a 69 and 71 gross, but these were both off the yellow with no CSS and no pressure of a card in my hand I could have got possibly 3 shots off buy putting those cards in. I could have said I’m off 6 now which look’s great but I would have got no satisfaction from it as it wasn’t in a competition. I struggle with 9 most of the time

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Right or wrong, without them last year I probably would have lapsed as I couldn't make enough comps (my wee boy was very ill when he was born and that meant missing a lot of golf).

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that one of their main purpose is to tempt people who have "inactive" handicaps to get them actvated so that they can enter competitions.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think that one of their main purpose is to tempt people who have "inactive" handicaps to get them actvated so that they can enter competitions.

(Right or wrong, without them last year I probably would have lapsed as I couldn't make enough comps (my wee boy was very ill when he was born and that meant missing a lot of golf).

No problem with this Inactive or like i said you can't play in enough comps

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
TBO not in favour, unless you for some reason can’t play in any comps or your handicap is way too high and you are improving faster than the amount of available competitions you have.

I have a competition Handicap and as such it was gained in competitions from the back tee’s in pressure situations. Not having a few good bounce games which gave me a handicap that looked good on paper only.

I had a couple of good rounds recently shooting a 69 and 71 gross, but these were both off the yellow with no CSS and no pressure of a card in my hand I could have got possibly 3 shots off buy putting those cards in. I could have said I’m off 6 now which look’s great but I would have got no satisfaction from it as it wasn’t in a competition. I struggle with 9 most of the time

Like you say Patrick, the game is a lot easier without the card and without that competition day pressure
I just wanted to speed up the process of reducing my h'cap,but as I said in my First post the Supplementry card thing just doesn't sit right with me, and after reading the above posts it seems I'm not alone.
I think I'm just going have enter more comps, maybe a few midweek medals.:thup:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I share your views really. I am not in favour, unless your handicap is so wrong you feel the need to address it. I think the only true test of your handicap is off the back tees, medal card in hand.

Off our whites, par is 72, SS is 72. Off our tombstones, par is 72, SS is 72. But there is a massive difference in the way the course plays. Some holes being driver wedge off whites, driver 4 iron off the blocks.

If I put in a supplementary cards off the whites, there is no CSS applied, so it would be easier to get cut to a handicap I could not play to off the back tees.

But that isn't a fault with the supplementary card system - it is a fault with your course's SSS ratings.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why is it any different on competition day?

Surley you can arrange to play off the whites too, and supplementary card allows your handicap to go up as well as down, so what is the difference to a competition day?

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
Whichever tee you play off the SSS is what it is. Supplementary cards are there for a valid reason, however ther are some who may try to use the system, although why you would want an artificially low handicap is beyond me.
I have entered supplementary's to maintain an active handicap so that I could enter competitions at other courses. Due to the fact nearly all of our qualifying comps are on Sundays and my personal circumstances dictate that Sunday golf is almost always out of the question.

It is only this year that we have qualifying comps on a Saturday (2 comps out of 17) so I will probably have to enter supplementary cards again. So for me the answer to the OP's question is right!

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suppose the system was mainly introduced for the benefit of players who don't enter many comps per year to keep their handicaps active.

If a player is using the system to try and reduce their handicap,I would think that the only only fair way of doing this would be to play one round per week, regardless of form. Rather than deciding to submit a card during their best part of the season.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Agreed,

For me I think you should only be allowed 3 a year and you shouldnt be allowed to put them in if you've played enough comps to keep your handicap active. IMO they are geared towards the social golfer who likes to play an odd competition or for members who cannot play competitions due to work. They should not be for people looking to lower their handicap, thats what medals are for and if you are playing well enough you do get the extra cut allowed for exeptional scores also.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
No reason but feel handicaps should be for competition play only and supplimentary cards should only be to maintain an active handicap if you cant play competition golf.
But what is different about 'competition play'?

I can see a difference between bounce games and comps, but the penalty for comp play is your handicap going up, and it's the same for the supplementary card. So why is it any different?